PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard that PUL can't be sold in stores b/c of fire retardancy laws?

american_mama
08-15-2006, 11:18 PM
A friend told me something odd about PUL and I am wondering if it is accurate. She is relatively new to cloth diapers, but has started making ones for her own child and asked one of the internet cloth diaper stores if PUL was available in any brick-and-mortar fabric shops. She said the reply was PUL can't be sold in stores because the fabric does not meet fire retardancy standards. My friend thinks or was told that that's why PUL diapers "can't" be sold in IRL stores.

I don't think that's fully accurate since I believe some IRL stores do sell PUL diapers. Are they doing it under the radar screen? Do any IRL stores sell PUL fabric? Is PUL not fire retardant?

brittone2
08-18-2006, 02:24 PM
I thought fire retardancy standards only applied to PJs. I imagine a sposie could light up very easily if lit on fire??

I'd be surprised if it were true, but then again, I think the fire-retardancy standards for PJs are borderline useless.

o_mom
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I think your friend was given some bad info. Fire retardancy only applies to PJs. If fabric had to be FR to be sold, Joann would be out of business. :-) They clearly mark all their flannel as not for children's sleepwear, but still sell it. All that quilting cotton would go up in an instant.

I think there is very little PUL in B&M stores because there is such a low demand for it. There are many B&M stores that sell cloth diapers, including PUL covers, but very few that sell fabric by the yard.