PDA

View Full Version : petroleum jelly good or bad?

robinsonbn
08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
As a FTM I have been reading book after book about everything you need and what is safe and not. However, my books are contradicting each other on several things. One book said petroleum jelly is a must have another said to avoid it because it prevents the skin from remoisterizing itself. Now maybe I am just ditzy but I don't even know what petroleum jelly is supossed to be used for....and which book is right. I would really love some feedback on this though I am sure I will have many more posts with many more questions. I mean these books are supossed to help me but instead they are confusing me even more.

Confused and Stressing,

SeekerMage
08-20-2006, 01:37 AM
I know a lot of people use it for diaper rash prevention. I was using it for a while because turtle woudl get a rash that would just stick around and not want to leave, the pj just acts like a barrier to keep the urine/poop off his skin. since it really doesnt have any meds in it I think its good if you want to keep the rashies away and then if you do get one, just use desitin or something else to kick it away if that makes sense (basicaly you dont have to worry about loosing its effectiveness) I think its pretty much to each his own. Some people use it every time, others dont do anything. Totally depends upon your babe and your preference Hope that helps some :)

mldflygirl
08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes, that's what I've heard too. I only used it for umbilical cord care, but my MIL frequently put it on DS's rear saying it was to prevent rashes. I don't know if it prevented anything, but it didn't have any adverse effects either.

Kindra178
08-22-2006, 06:10 PM
We think Aquaphor (pj and mineral oil) cures all ills. Rashes, cuts or for moisturizing, we can't use it enough.

kulamimi12
08-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Another vote for Aquaphor. I heard all kind of good review from my friends and family.

tifanio
08-25-2006, 09:03 AM
I personally used PJ for my DS's circ healing, and it's good for very dry skin. However, I highly highly recommend A&D ointment, the original one not the zinc oxide one for all sorts of ails. I use it directly on scrapes, baby acne, butt, etc. It has Vitamins A&D in it plus PJ so it really helps in the healing process. I also like Aquaphor, but it does get expensive.

I don't think that PJ hinders the body's response to self-moisturize. Honestly, talk to anyone with a baby, the thicker and greasier the better for dry newborn baby skin!!!

HTH!
tifani

katydid1971
08-27-2006, 01:58 AM
I also used it for DS's circ healing but for nothing else. The good thing is its cheep so if you want to try it your only out a dollar or so.

sadie_beth_1124
09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I keep it on hand to lube the rectal thermometer. I also heard you can smear a bit on DD's hairline to keep shampoo & water from running into her eyes. Haven't tried it yet though.

stacyann_1
09-15-2006, 07:17 PM
I use it often on my twins butts overnight. We have the baby scented one by Vaseline. I use unscented pj if I need to take their temperature. I also like aquaphor and A&D is ok also.

brittone2
09-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Never used it other than to lubricate a rectal thermometer for DS several times. DS wasn't circ'd so we didn't need it for that :)

THe few times we needed a "barrier" cream, etc. we used Aquaphor. DS only ever had a tiny bit of a diaper rash 2-3 times and it was pretty mild.

I don't like petroleum based products all that much for kids. Not comfy w/ the ingredients all that much.