PDA

View Full Version : Prefitteds for babies and toddlers

KrisM
08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
I am going to get some prefitteds made for DS because he's outgrown the width of a prefold and doesn't need the bulk of a toddler size. A couple of questions for prefitted users:

1. He normally wears regular prefolds (4x6x4). Would a prefitted made from a premium (4x8x4) be similar absorbency? Or would I need the doubler?

2. Any chance DD can wear these, too? I have a few made from infant prefolds that she's about outgrown in the rise. Would I be able to fold down the premium ones enough for her or would it be crazy huge and bulky? Or should I get the rise trimmed? If so, how do I know what to trim it to so that it's wearable, but won't be outgrown quickly?

3. Tammy from Tinkle Traps suggested no elastic at the waist for DS to get a better fit. Opinions?

thanks.

jenjenfirenjen
08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
L wore regular PFs mostly before we got a bunch of Tammy's prefitteds from SWAP. They all have a double sewn-in and I think the absorbancy is about the same. And the double doesn't really seem to make them much bulkier.

I'm not sure about about the baby wearing them though. I haven't tried them on D-man. He's outgrowing his infant prefitted too (in the rise.) I have a few prefitteds from when DS1 was younger with a trimmed rise. I'll try them out tomorrow and see how they fit D and report back with the rise measurement and how they fit.

I like the elastic at the waist on her prefitteds (better than some that I have from others.)

KrisM
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks for drying them on for me.

How long did the ones with the trimmed rise last?

jenjenfirenjen
08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
OK, finally got around to trying them on today. I only had two trimmed prefitteds. One is from Tinkle Traps and has about a 15" rise. The other is from Funny Farm and is 16" (but the elastic on this one is much "tighter".) They both fit him pretty well, even without folding down (though I'm not sure it would hold poop since the legs were not real tight since I wasn't stretching the elastic.) FWIW, I found it much easier to fold down the Tinkle Traps since it doesn't have "wings" in the front.

I decided to try one of L's non-trimmed Tinkle Traps prefitteds (18-19" rise) on D and surprisingly, it fit OK too. The ones that have a soaker sewn in were too bulky when folded down, but the snap-in soakers were fine. Also, the serged were less bulky and easier to fold down than the lined and turned.

I think I might just have some of my premiums converted to serged with snap-in soakers and I think they would work for both boys.
I'm not sure how long the trimmed prefitteds worked for L. We had a big varied stash back then and they didn't see a ton of action.

HTH!

KrisM
08-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you!

I think I'll get non-trimmed ones. I will get a few lined with microfleece for DS for night time, too.

todzwife
08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
I just wanted to mention that my design on the piggy prefolds has changed a little bit and there are no longer "wings" in the front, just an hour glass type shape :)

jenjenfirenjen
08-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I hope I didn't come off as criticizing your dipes. I still love them!