PDA

View Full Version : Flushable liners, recommendations?

nisi
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
So... I finally figured out why I've occasionally been finding disposable wipes neatly laid inside dd's diapers when she comes home from daycare. One of the teachers figured out that it makes cleanup a lot easier when she poops (which also explains why they've been going through wipes so fast lately!) Sigh. I give her credit for a having a good idea, but I'm pretty ticked that they've been regularly putting a soggy wipe against dd's skin for hours at a time :( However, they've been soooo good about the whole CD thing that I'm not going to make a big issue of it. Can't blame them for trying to make their lives easier, right? But what I AM going to do is provide them with flushable liners from now on :) I'd have done it months ago if only they'd have said something but I never thought to since we don't use them at home (don't trust them in the septic system).

Anyway... that brings me to my question. Is there a brand of flushable liner that you especially like, or are they all pretty much the same?

Nisi
CPS tech and mom to 2 girls, 2/01 and 12/04

babymama
09-01-2006, 11:28 AM
CottonBabies has a paper liner - don't remember the name, but there was only one choice on the website. I bought them and have been pleased so far. They use them at DD's school.

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

Oh what fun it is to potty train & BF at the same time!

KrisM
09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I like the infant size from Imse Vimse. They are flushable and reusable. If pee only, they'll go through the wash at least 1 time before getting holes. They come on rolls and are perforated, so they're pretty easy to use.

The toddler size are huge and were too big for my 2 year old when I tried them. They also come in packs that unfold and I thought they were more difficult to use 1 at a time.

I've bought them at www.naturalbabies.com and www.lilbunz.com and www.softclothbunz.com.

I use these all the time. I don't have a mini-shower and I don't dunk. These are great - especially when we have a poopy diaper change at a mall or something.

o_mom
09-01-2006, 12:23 PM
I have tried Imse Vimse, Gerber and Diaperraps brands.

Gerber used to be at BRU, but I haven't found them there lately. I really liked them. They were plenty wide and would last 2-3 or more washes if just peed on. They technically are not flushable, but I do <shhhh> ;-) I wouldn't on a septic, but we have never had a problem.

ImseVimse and Diaperaps are very similar material-wise. They are flushable, but will only last about 1, maybe 2 washes at the most . The Diaperaps ones are much wider and I find they have better "coverage" than the ImseVimse, but other than that they are comparable.

The Diaperaps ones are not advertised as "Diaperaps" except on their site - just "flushable liners", but they are the same (our package said Diaperaps on them). They show them as being laid sideways, but we lay them longways.

nisi
09-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone! I've never seen any brand in stores around here so I ordered a pack of Imse Vimse. We'll see how the ladies at daycare like them :-) I guess no matter what, they'll be better for dd's bum than a soggy wipe!

Nisi
CPS tech and mom to 2 girls, 2/01 and 12/04

american_mama
09-03-2006, 12:45 AM
I hav Kushies and Diaperwraps and prefer Kushies, but haven't used either one lately. Kushies feels like a cross between high quality toilet paper and a kitchen paper towel, seems like it's reasonably soft against DD's bum, and is nice for me to touch. It's also a smaller and more reasonable size.

Diaperwraps are too big and much thinner and rougher, feels like a cross between so-so toilet paper and Kleenex. It does hold up in the diaper, I just don't like handling it or looking at it or thinking of it against DD's bum.

I will gladly send you a few of each to try.

In my experience, neither brand was re-usable after going through the washer and dryer (I throw all diapers and covers in the dryer, including any stray paper wipes or liners). The paper shrinks, gets weaker, and somtimes rips into a few large pieces.

o_mom
09-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I must have the only kids who can cover the entire diaper with poo within minutes... The Kushies just seem like they wouldn't cover enough :-) They are half the width of the ImseVimse ones which didn't always catch things.

Maria K
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Eeerrrr???? Flushable CD liners?? Such a thing exists?? Do these work like they sound they would?? What possible disadvantage do they have?? PLEASE tell me about these! This may have just tipped it in for me to make the switch to CD!!!!
- Maria

KrisM
10-04-2006, 09:43 PM
You just lay one in on top of the diaper and dump it in the toilet after baby poops. Quite easy. The only disadvantage we've found is when someone (usually DH) puts the fleece liner on top of the paper liner. It just doesn't work well unless it is NEXT to the baby :).

Maria K
10-05-2006, 11:44 AM
DH puts a fleece layer on top of the flushable liner? Are you supposed to and he just hasn't mastered placement, or do you use one or the other?

I really wish I could see all these things. I don't know ANYone who CD's so everything I read about is just concepts and photos, which isn't the same as seeing and touching.

- Maria

KrisM
10-05-2006, 08:24 PM
No, you're not supposed to. He normally doesn't, but every now and then just goofs.

Fleece liners are just a thin piece of micro-fleece fabric. I made my own and cut rectangles. Flushable liners look like large, slightly thick toilet paper. These go on top to catch the mess. The fleece wicks moisture and keeps the skin dry.