PDA

View Full Version : sizing up?

shellybelly
08-31-2006, 05:50 PM
my DS is 12 weeks old and has just barely starting to graduate out of his newborn clothes. He still is using his newborn diaper covers and his small diaper covers are now fitting. I'm not sure when he'll stop fitting into his IPFs. I'm thinking it's going to be time to get a larger size in his diapers/diaper covers, etc soon. but what size do i do? do i order smalls or do i go up to mediums and hope and pray they'll fit him soon enough? or do i start feeding him every hour so he'll fit them sooner? ha ha. he is tiny. i don't know if everyone else's babies look like he does but his little bum area is sooo tiny and narrow, and then his little belly balloons out (but it's still skinny) think tree frog, and that's what he looks like.

so do i get more small diaper covers and then order medium diapers and diaper covers until he grows out of those or what? i'm trying to go the cheapest route.

-Shelly

http://b1.lilypie.com/SBUFm7.png
We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

KrisM
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
What size are the IPFs? DD is the same age, but maybe a little larger, as she's been in 3-6 month clothes for about a month and is in small and medium covers. She is still in infant sized CPFs. I know sizing on IPF and CPF are different, but I can't remember which way.

Are you using a Snappi? We are and it's getting tough to Snappi the infant sized PFs. Because of that, we'll probably start tri-folding for a while and then we'll move into regular 4x6x4s in a month or two. I would rather not add bulk if I don't need the absorbency increase.

As for covers, I would not skip a size. You don't want gaps at legs for poop to escape. I say this, even though DD can currently wear newborn, small, and medium Bumpy covers! The newborns are a tad short in the rise, but I can stuff the diaper under, still. It sounds like your DS will be in each size for a while, so you should get some good use from the smalls.

shellybelly
09-01-2006, 12:45 PM
oh sorry, i meant he uses infant CPFs. sorry! yeah, we're using our snappis and it's getting more difficult on the sides a bit, but the rise we still have to fold down quite a bit. it's funny though, when we trifold his shorts don't stay on b/c it's so much trimmer on the sides. thank you for the advice, you were the one that warned me to get newborn covers and not just smalls, and you were absolutely right! i thought my baby would be a chunker, and he's the complete opposite. so thanks for the previous advice too!! i guess i'll just get some more smalls and a medium to test out.

what diapers do you use on your DD?

-Shelly

http://b1.lilypie.com/SBUFm7.png
We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

KrisM
09-01-2006, 08:56 PM
DD is still in infants, but barely with a Snappi. To get a little more wear out of them, you can fan out the front part so that it reaches across the sides a bit more. I'm doing this now and I can still Snappi. I don't fold anything down anymore though.

Also, when you size up, there is a size called "regular" that is 4x6x4 layers. It is much trimmer than a premium 4x8x4 prefold. DS is still in regulars. Not all stores carry this, so you might have to look around.

I'm glad the newborn covers are working well for you!

daisymommy
09-02-2006, 11:01 AM
ell, one thing I learned the hard way is that they are in smalls for a very, very short amount of time. In our case it was only like 4-6 weeks!

Hannah outgrew here Kissaluvs 0's diapers and newborn covers, so I ordered lots of small diapers and covers to try out. By the time they all arrived, a couple weeks later--literally--she had outgrown them and needed Mediums! Yikes!

What I would have done if I could do it over would be to just get 2 dozen infant prefolds and a few (4) cheap covers like Proraps to use in-between size newborn and medium.

I think they are in mediums and larges for the longest period of time. I actually started with larges with Joshua when he was 10 months old, and he was still wearing them when he potty trained at age 3.5!