PDA

View Full Version : Lump in DS thigh--Vaccine related or something else, HELP?

Bens Momma
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I couldn't find the right board to post this on so I thought this would be the closest place. My DH found a lump in our 10 month old son's thigh. It's about the size of a large gumball. I took him to the doc and he said it's probably a reaction to his last set of shots, but I'm a little nervous/doubtful of this. He hasn't had any shots since his 6 mos checkup and we just noticed the lump about 3 weeks ago. The doc said to monitor it and not worry unless it gets bigger, said it should go away but might take a few months (Yikes!). I don't want to get panicky about this but it seems so odd. It hasn't gotten bigger since we've been watching it but it does seem to get harder (sometimes like a marble) and then softer. It doesn't seem to cause DS any pain when we feel it. Anyone out there had a similar experience or have any advice?? Thanks in advance.

Ben & Will's Momma

writermama
09-01-2006, 03:50 PM
The same thing happened to DD when she was about 6 months old. She had a small mark on her leg at the shot site (looked like a pin-prick) that stayed there for about a month. And she had a lump in that part of her thigh. The lump lasted much longer, several months at least. I was quite freaked out at the time, but DD is now 3 and seems fine.

Hugs to you and try not to worry too much.

Joolsplus2
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I wonder if it's the same thing that I have on my hand where I got an IV... Need to do a search on 'needle inflicted cysts' or something.

Good luck, that's no fun to have weird lumps and marks on your baby!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

brittone2
09-01-2006, 10:32 PM
IIRC this is pretty common from aluminum containing vaxes. THey put the aluminum in there to essentially make the vax "take" better (adjuvant) but the side effect is it can sort of cause a tender lump. Not 100 percent sure as I haven't looked at that info for a while, but maybe you'll want to read up on it?

anamika
09-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi,
My Dd had one too after her shots - about a week or maybe a month after. We were also told to just monitor it and maybe massage it to break up the lump. DD didn't seem bothered by it at all. In fact, I think it was after her 6 month shots too.
HTH

proggoddess
09-02-2006, 08:59 PM
The tetanus shots seem to be the worst lump-causers. Was that the leg thy did the tetanus in? I'd agree, just monitor it a couple times a week and if it's not bothering your DS, it'll probably be okay. If it is still there at his 1 year checkup, definitely bring it up again.

ShanaMama
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Agreeing with pp here- DD had the same thing after her shots. Actually, each time she got shots, the lumps came a couple of days/weeks later. Its freaky but seemingly harmless.
After her chicken pox shot she got a lump that looked like a huge bug-bite. I didn't even connect it to the doctor till I took her to the doctor & he asked if that was where she got her chicken pox shot.
If it doesn't bother him & he has no other weird symptoms, I'd try to ignore it.

Bens Momma
09-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks everyone!
It helps to hear that others have experienced the same thing without any longterm effects. It just seems odd that it would occur so long after the vaccines. For those of you that it also happened to, how long did the lump last? We will continue to monitor it, but so far the size hasn't changed.

Ben & Will's Momma