PDA

View Full Version : Yeast rash, any natural remedies to cure a diaper yeast rash?

colegiala
09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi, My 13mo DD has a yeast rash. I have been applying diaper rash creams like butt paste, a homeopathic calendula diaper cream and I applied a couple of times a few drops of lavender and tea tree. I think its a little better, but its been almost a week. The Dr. prescribed a cream, but I wanted to try a natural remedie first. Any suggestions or a link to a website with natural baby remedies?
Thanks,
Gaby

Joolsplus2
09-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Plain yogurt... applied topically. That replaces the yeasties with the good germies. Also if you're nursing, you eat some, and feed some to your DD (might also try acidophilus capsules taken orally if you're nursing, or sprinkle a little on her food).
I haven't done a full on search recently, but that's what I remember from my own yeast issues.

Good luck!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mudder17
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Yep, that's basically what I would try first if you want to go natural. I've used yogurt for both me and DD and it generally works unless it's a super bad case. Just make sure you use a plain yogurt with active cultures. Garlic is also a natural antifungal agent, but I doubt you want to stick a clove in your DD's diaper. ;)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 30 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

mommyoftwo
09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Priobiotics, probiotics, probiotics! I can't say enough good about them. We were using a prescribed antifungal with Linnea and still having problems. I got some probiotics and gave them to her and started seeing results within a couple of hours. Gotta run right now, but I'll post specifics later.

jenjenfirenjen
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Amen to that. We've been battling recurrent yeast rashes in both boys (but mainly the baby) and even the prescription creams weren't touching it anymore (or they would come back right away.) I didn't have such quick results as Jessica but the probiotics definitely worked. Unfortch for us though, it seems we are going to be using them indefinitely. When we stop, the rash comes back. Also, to treat the raw red skin, we used a spray form of colloidal silver and whole leaf aloe vera gel with great success.

ShanaMama
09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
ETA: I just remembered, the dr specified a few times that if you use the presc creams, you MUST use a regular diaper rash cream along with it. (One that contains zinc oxide) Not sure exactly why, but he was pretty explicit, so in case you do decide to use them- remember that point.

JEn can you give some more details of the prevention techniques?

To the Original poster, DD has been having recuurent yeast rashes. The ped thinks its because of a few rounds of antibiotics. I've tried the acidophilus in food, but apparently it tastes horrible b/c she refuses.
Recently I've been using an prescription cream called Vusion which was very good, but I think I'll try the yogurt on tushy idea, too. How do you know if it has active cultures?
Also, many posters here have recommended waiting till the area is completely dry before applying any cream, and avoid using wipes for as long as possible. (just use warm water & tp or paper towels).
Don't know if you cloth-diaper, but that's also been a suggestion at preventing all rashes.
Good luck- I know how difficult it is to see your little one in pain!

mommyoftwo
09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
I promised to post more details so here is what has worked for us. We use primadophilus which is acidophilus plus other bacteria which is good for your gut. There are other brands and strains of probiotics, but the important thing is that it needs to be refridgerated. If it's just on the shelf, it won't be effective because the good bacteria will have died off. Also, you need to use probiotics that are specially formulated for babies or it will be too strong. When Linnea's rash was really bad, I sprinkled the powder directly on it to get a jump start on treating it. A few times a day while trying to get the rash under control, I would pump out some breastmilk (this was before she started solids) and put 1/2-1 tsp of probiotics in it. It took a few days for the rash to really clear up, but I really could tell a difference within a few hours. FWIW, the probiotics that we use don't taste bad. I tried it once. You could also, just put some on your nipples every time you nurse. Once things were under control, I started giving her one dose every day as a preventative measure. I had to do that for a long time (months) or else the rash would start to come back once I stopped. I don't do it every day anymore, but still do it periodically (mixed in her solids) or else we will start to have problems. HTH! Jen may have more things to add, but that's what has worked for us. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

bcafe
09-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Jessica,
What brand of probiotics do you use? DS #2 has such bad rashes on his bum! I am quite certain it is from yeast. Thanks,

jenjenfirenjen
09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Not Jessica but wanted to chime in. I've been using Udo's Choice for Infants and Toddler but I'm about to order this...

http://store.nationalsupplementcenter.com/slr4835.html

Because it only had bifidus infantis which apparently is which is apparently what makes up 95% of the good bacteria in an infant's gut. Using the Udo's Choice or another blend of several different strains apparently introduces bacteria to their gut that are not yet naturally there (before they start solids.) I have noticed since starting the probiotics with D-man that he poops much more often and that it stinks more. I don't think it's a huge deal (and the probiotics I have been using have definitely worked on the rash) but I figure I may as well switch to the other ones.

bcafe
09-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Well DS has messy diapers a lot. In fact just about every diaper is messy. I think that's the problem causing the rash! It just gets cleared up and he has a poop fest..:(

mommyoftwo
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I use Nature's way primadophilus. It's what the local hospital uses with their preemiees, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong. I've also heard great things about Lifestart babydophilus, but I don't have any experience personally. I saw your post below about diry diapers causing the rash and I've had the same experience. It makes sense when you think about it. If there is an overgrowth of yeast in the gut, it's going to come out in their poop. Let it sit there for a bit and it's going to cause a rash as it infests a new area. I hope you get some relief.