PDA

View Full Version : sores

scoop22
09-03-2006, 08:44 AM
my DD has never had diaper rash.. We went away for the weekend and now he has sores on his very red butt. My mom says baking soda baths. What else? the poor little guy is hurting..

writermama
09-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Dr. Sears' website has the rundown on diaper rash here:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

the sores you mention make me think it might be yeast. Does the rash look like this:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081401.asp

if it's yeast, you can treat it with lotrimin (sp.) -- over the counter anti-fungal medication. I went to the trouble of driving all over town to find gyne-lotrimin, only to find that it has the exact same ingredient as the athelete's foot or the jock itch variety. Ask the pharmacist if you have any questions.

Other treatments include probiotics which you can buy at a health food store or online. Mix with food if you child eats solids or with a bottle if not. You can also feed your child plain yogurt and some moms even report success with applying it directly to the rash.

Good luck and hope your little guy feels better soon.

Bens Momma
09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I have experienced the same thing with my DS who has very sensitive skin. Try dissolving some colloidal oatmeal bath (Aveno makes it in packets and most stores have a generic brand) in the bath and have her soak in it for about 8-10 minutes 1-2 times a day. It's actually good for soothing/cleansing their skin. Also make sure that you give her a good coating of Desitin (lightly pat the area dry first) with each diaper change. We've found that Desitin coats/heals much better than other brands. It should start healing and dissapearing within a couple of days unless it is a yeast issue but it doesn't sound like it. Hope this helps!

Ben & Will's Momma

set81616
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Nakee time. I put baking soda in an old spice bottle (one with large holes) and shake it in the diaper every change. It absorbs the urine so even if you can't change it right away the urine is away from the skin. Also helps make poopy diapers eaiser to clean and you don't have to make sure skin is all the way dry before putting it on like with ointments.

In 24 hours with nakee and lotramin (if it's yeast) he should feel better. The one time we got a bad one (never using huggies again) we also put triple paste on him during nakee time. Also use warm water washclothes to clean him.

HTH
Shannon

scoop22
09-07-2006, 06:25 PM
baking soda really works in the diaper??

i was giving him a bath in it.. it went away and now it is back. i am wondering if it is from teething he is 13 months and only has two teeth.. he got these two over 5 months ago. i will try the baking soda.. we will see.

scoop22
09-07-2006, 08:35 PM
dd screamed.. we had to give him an instant bath.. it just broke my heart. i felt like i was the one hurting him.. he loved the bath. onto the next suggestions..

set81616
09-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm so sorry dd screamed. I know DS would scream when I put diaper back on him for @24 hours. He only got the bad rash the one time we switched to huggies. Maybe corn starch would work better on her (after the rash has cleared up.) I'm actually switching to corn startch (after endless encouragement from my neighbor who runs a day care) and it seems to shake out better and get absorbed better. I hope DD feels better soon.
Shannon

scoop22
09-09-2006, 10:59 AM
we broke down and listened to the dr. she told us to use lotrimin. i really didn't want to but over night it got better. we will see how long this will last. many people told us about the baking soda. we still are doing the baths. i got the baby powder with corn starch in it. i will try this after the craziness is over. thanks

JBaxter
09-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Dont use the baby powder w/ corn starch just buy plain cornstarch. It doesnt have any extra scents added ( my ds3 was VERY sensitive to additives)

scoop22
09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
good to know. thanks