PDA

View Full Version : Which cover is best?

tylersmama
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a longtime lurker, but this is my first post. My mother got me six months of diaper service for my baby shower. The service includes covers for newborn and small sizes, but you have to buy your own once you outgrow the smalls. Which cover do you think is the best? The service uses proraps and will sell them to me for $10 each, but I'm sure I can probably find a better deal online (although maybe not with shipping).

Are there any other covers that people like better? The proraps have been fine, although I've noticed that they aren't always entirely waterproof (DS will saturate his diaper and cover overnight...we are going up to the next prefold size next week, so I'm hoping that will help). We do have poopy leaks occasionally with the proraps, which I think is due to DS's skinny legs, the cover does not fit snugly around his legs.
TIA for any input!

o_mom
09-06-2006, 05:41 AM
I love my Bummis Super Whisper Wraps - I have ditched almost all my other PUL covers.

lizajane
09-06-2006, 12:31 PM
i would highly recommend an aristocrat wool cover for nighttime. bomb proof!

proraps worked well for us, so i am not sure about a day cover.

mudder17
09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I think Bumpy's or Litewraps (inexpensive knockoffs that actually do work well) would actually work for skinny legs a bit better than Proraps. I do remember when Kaya had particularly chunky thighs, the bumpy's/litewraps would leave marks on her thighs, but the proraps would not. For leaky poop, I still prefer gussets, so while I like Bummis SWW, I didn't think it did as nice a job for the leaky poop. I believe the pull-up Bummis Whisper Pants would do a better job.

And for night time, I do agree the Aristocrat is pretty much bomb proof. Yes, you'll be using wool, but if you're going to start going longer at night, you may want to consider that.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 30 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

Momof3Labs
09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
If you DS is completely soaking through a prefold at night, no cover will hold the overflow, not even wool. You need to add more absorbency.

I like Bumpy covers for skinny legs. I really like the Bummis pull-on covers these days, but DS2 has pretty chunky legs. They probably wouldn't work well for skinny legs.

etwahl
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I used to use Bumpys, but I didn't find them as breathable, so we pretty much use fleece 95% of the time. I love the AngelDry ones (i think that's the name). They're great. For nighttime, I use a Staccinator night. They are BIG, but they work wonderful. But I also use a really absorbent hemp nighttime diaper with two doublers and change him halfway through the night because I'm paranoid :)

Tammy,
mom to Lauren (March 2003)

tylersmama
09-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I started double diapering a couple of weeks ago, which helps a lot, but he's still a little damp in the mornings. We're going up to the next size of prefold next week, which I'm hoping will help also. I guess that's the tradeoff for having a 3 m.o. who sleeps 10 hours at night! I'll take the sleep and the wet pajamas! :)

Anyone have any recommendations for good online sites to buy covers? I know about naturalbabies.com, but are there any other sites I should look at? Can I find them on ebay?

Thanks so much to everyone for your help!

KrisM
09-06-2006, 08:47 PM
nak

ITA. Bumpy's worked great for DS with skinny thighs and I hated Proraps for him. DD is in Proraps or Green Earth and has much chunkier thighs than DS ever had. Bumpy's fit okay but not as good as Proraps/GE.

jenjenfirenjen
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
holy cow! i'm so jealous that your 3 month sleeps that long. as for stores, i think www.lilbunz.com carries all the covers the previous posters mentioned. if you join her yahoo group, then you get 5% off your orders and free shipping. plus, her cs is great!

as for cover recs, i like proraps, bummis sww and bummis whisper pants. i loved bumpys for my 1st son but they have wicked every time with ds2.

mypa
09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I like Bumpy's for the gusset and soft feel. www.nickisdiapers.com sells covers and pockets with free shipping (no minimum). She was great at letting me try a few things on DS and returning things that didn't fit. It usually cost less than two dollars to ship back covers first class. It's a cheap way to try things out for fit before making a big purchase.

tylersmama
09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I just ordered two Bumpys covers off of Nicki's diapers since that seems to be the consensus for skinny legs. I'll let you know how I like them when they get here! Thanks to everyone for their advice!