PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get DD To Understand That You Pee On The Potty?...

randomkid
09-13-2006, 12:39 AM
...and is she ready?

I am new to this forum, but think this is the place for PT questions. I have thought for some time now that DD could start to PT. She used to stand up in the tub when she had to pee and was very deliberate about going (knew she had to go and could control it). I thought it was still a little early, but now I think we could start. Her understanding of everything is so much better (which still amazes me) and this week, she has shown more control. If she is naked, she will squat and put her hands under her. The other night, I just knew she had to go and I was worried she would pee on the floor. I got distracted, then realized I hadn't diapered her yet. I got a diaper on her and she peed immediately.

So, I bought a potty (after searching every Target for the elusive $7 potty, I finally found one today!). Tonight, DD did the squatting thing again, so I put the potty in the tub after I drained all the water. She sat right down on it like she knew what it was, however, it seems that she just thinks it's a chair - LOL! How do I get her to understand that she is supposed to pee and poop there?

BTW, when I was housetraining my dog, he would pee on a towel in the house. I'd put him outside and wait forever, but he would wait and come back in the house to pee on the towel. I feel like the diaper is the same way, like DD will wait for me to put a diaper on her to go.

Sorry so long, but this is all totally new to me!

TIA,

jenjenfirenjen
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Umm, you TELL her that the potty is for peeing and pooping on.

This is how it went for us. This summer, I let DS1 run around naked outside. He of course peed and pooped out there and thus became aware of his bodily functions. So we talked about it. At every diaper change, I'd tell him that soon he would be a big boy and would go pee and poop in the potty instead of diaper. He liked this idea.

I'm a SAHM so he pretty much has grown up seeing me go pee and poop on the big potty. So one day, I went pee and then he asked to go pee on the potty too. I put him up there and he peed. I had just had our 2nd baby so wasn't quite up to jumping onto pt'ing. But we kept talking about it and he kept going pee whenever he asked. Then, over the Labor Day weekend, he pooped on the potty and we decided that was it. No more diapers except for sleep.

He's been naked most of the time in the house but we've also played outside and gone on errands and for the most part, he has stayed dry. It's been about a week and a half and he's doing great. We still have accidents sometimes but he is getting it. I STRONGLY encourage you to go for it!

One more thing: I bought DS the book "Once upon a Potty" and he loves it and I think it helps drive home the concept that we pee and poop on the potty.

Joolsplus2
09-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, sounds a little silly, but talk about it with her. I have a little dialog with my 7.5 mo about how we pee and poo on the potty (It's called Elimination Communication...not just the dialog, but noticing her signs and signals...like when you watch a puppy run around sniffing you know you'd better get it to the towel or outside, babies aren't incontinent, you just have to tune into their signals).
You can get a doll that pees and demonstrate, you can put your potty in the room next to your toilet, you can just sit her there as a chair until something happens, and do the potty dance as soon as it does. You might try googling Elimination Communication and Infant Potty Training to get some ideas, since she's young enough to be considered a late starter (Oh, I'd love to be diaper-free like some of those women have done such a great job with their babies, but I'm just a part timer...we only do what does NOT stress us out :) ).
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

randomkid
09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks. I've heard about elimination communication and early PTing, but had planned to return to work at 4 months. I stayed home for 6 months, but still think it would have been too much since we had BFing issues and milk protein issues that just about made us insane for the first 8 weeks. I talked with some women at work today and they think it's early, so it's funny that you say she would be a late starter.

I have told her over and over that you pee and poop in the potty. I showed it to her and when she sat on it, I told her what it was for. I just wasn't sure if she would make the connection, KWIM? I even started telling her a long time ago what I was doing when I was on the potty and she was in the bathroom with me. I figure that even if she sits there, she may not go until I put a diaper on her.

Unfortunately, I can't really let DD run around naked too much since she is at daycare 4 days a week. And, being that she is in daycare, she is now getting sick more. She slept almost 3 hours for her nap today, only ate 1/2 her lunch, fell asleep on the way home and has shown no interest in dinner. I'm concerned that she is getting sick again. How does this impact PTing. Do I just bag it if she is sick like you do a sleeping schedule or weaning from a bottle?

I'll try googling and see what I can find. I always just prefer to come here first because the Mamas here are so good at giving excellent insight and advice on things like this.