PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's dc completely uninterested in PT?

s_gosney
09-13-2006, 12:18 PM
DD was really interested in pottying around the time she turned 2 but we never tried to push for PT then b/c I was so worried about having one of those kids who have to go NOW, and I really didn't want to be running through stores to keep her from having an accident, IYKWIM. Now, I kind of regret not following her lead more back then. We always let her go on the potty when she wanted to and didn't discourage it, but now she has no interest whatsoever and it's been no interest for a long time. I'm normally opposed to sticker rewards, etc, but I even took her shopping for special PT stickers (she loves stickers) but still won't go on the potty. So...does anyone have a story about their dc that was like this and then finally came back around to being interested? Or did you just decide that they were ready and jump into training? BTW, I WAHM ft and though her daycare provider will help, she can't let her walk around naked or take her every 30 mins when a timer goes off. I'm trying hard not to pressure her b/c I certainly don't want it to backfire and have frequent accidents for years to come. So, what to do? Just keep being patient? TIA for any advice/sympathy!

Joolsplus2
09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
My son was in diapers basically full time till age 3.5 (and four for poop... he would hold it till his pullup was on at night until I finally had to give him a suppository...at least it only took 2 times doing that and another few months of pullups at night for pee, and bingo, it was like he was trained overnight...just 2.5 years later than I would have liked! :P).

I handled it...as best as I could... tried MnM's, coaxing, bribing, threatening, yelling (still regret that... bad marriage at the time to blame...).

So, yeah, my first thought is to just be patient. Does she get any peer pressure at daycare? There's nothing more helpful than a older kiddo to copy or be embarrassed by, sometimes.

Good luck, and it sounds stupid, but try not to worry, she really won't go off to kindergarten in pullups :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pittsburghgirl
09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
DS is 2.5 and not at all interested in the potty. I have decided to let it ride and see if I can get him interested at 3. He is in preschool now 2 days a week, hopefully some of his classmates will start (none have yet) and he will become interested then!

I have a friend whose DS was totally uninterested until just before he turned 3, then he was totally PT'd in less than a week because he wanted to be. I'm hoping for something like that :)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

tarahsolazy
09-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Mine likes to talk about it, watch us pee, and read his potty book. He has no interest in actually sitting on the potty though. LOL. I'm not even gonna start trying until at least three, unless he comes and asks.

Oh, he's 29 months old.

Momof3Labs
09-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Mine was complete uninterested up until the day we went to underwear cold turkey, at about 3y8m. I really thought that DS2 would be PT'd before DS1. But then we backed off completely for one week. No pressure at all. Starting talking about underwear and what it means (all pees and poops on the potty). Counted down the days left in diapers. And switched cold turkey, no going back. The first day was a nightmare. The second day was better. After a week, we could tell that we were over the hump and there was no going back. Within 10 days or so, he was initiating most trips to the potty himself when he knew he had to go.

FWIW, we really wanted him to be pt'd before I went back to work from my maternity leave, thus the big push in May.

We did end up backtracking into pull-ups at night after a series of accidents. Too many early morning wake-ups resulted from the accidents, plus all that laundry - ugh! Now, I'd say that he wakes up 50-60% of the time dry in the morning, and at least when he has an accident, it doesn't wake all of us up or cause extra laundry.