PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Prefolds - please give me the low down!!

mommab
09-22-2006, 02:31 AM
If all of the diaper types to choose from wasn't enough...now having to decide on which prefolds!! I know it's not rocket science, but why are there so many choices?? I've searched this board for a comprehensive on prefolds, but have come up with nil. I think I just need a dozen premium and a dozen toddler size for my 23 lb 6 month old to round out my stash of fitteds & a few aios. Also, do most moms get the unbleached or bleached prefolds?

Here's basically what I'm finding out there:

Granitesmith's:
Chinese prefold (Green Earth)
Indian prefold (Green Earth)
European prefold
Doodle's cpf

Thirstie's cpf

TIA,

Momof3Labs
09-22-2006, 06:56 AM
The Indian unbleached are the softest, IMO!

o_mom
09-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Most prefolds differ in the weave of the fabric and thickness of the thread. Generally, the softer the fabric, the worse it wears. Indian are usually the softest, Chinese the next and EU last. They wear out in that order, too. We have EU prefolds that have been used for two kids and show no signs of wear at all. OTOH, some CPFs that I used as burp cloths have some wear already.

Anything that says CPF (doodle's, thirstie's) is a chinese prefold.

Bleached will be white, the unbleached are kind of a creamy color. You have to wash the unbleached 5-6 times in very hot water to remove the natural plant oils and make them absorbant. The unbleached only need a wash or two. Both will continue to get softer as you wash them. I think unbleached will last longer, in theory, because the bleach treatment weakens the fibers somewhat. Unbleached are also more environmentally friendly since there is no bleaching process.

elephantmeg
09-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I love my indian unbleached from granitesmith (bought before she died so not sure what they have now)

tarahsolazy
09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't think you need toddler size. My 36 pound 2.5 year old can wear premiums easily. We have a few toddler, and they are still HUGE! I like unbleached Chinese prefolds, and the Indian prefolds the best.

o_mom
09-25-2006, 06:51 AM
ITA. At 6 mos a toddler size would be huge. We didn't start toddler size until 2 years, and only because DS2 was moving into the premiums. I ended up converting some to prefitteds even then because they are so huge!

mommab
09-26-2006, 03:00 AM
My ebf (just starting solids) dd's waist measures 21.5", and her thigh is around 14". I'm still a little unclear on how to measure the rise. How high up on a baby's tummy/bum is a diaper (prefold, fitted or other) supposed to fit? You can see by my dd's waist dimension that SHE HAS NO WAIST! Part of the reason I'm so bent on cding is that disposables just don't fit - she's barely still fitting in a size 4 diaper at 6-1/2 months! So, do you still think a premium prefold will fit her fine?? Thanks for all your input!!

I just wanted to add that the baby is starting to crawl, so I know she'll start trimming out soon (or at least I hope so!). DD #1 was also a big baby (though not as big and still at the top of the charts), and her waist at age 3 is around 23".

o_mom
09-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Hmmmm.. with that waist, you might need toddler. DS2 has a 19 in waist and 23 hips and uses premiums.

The toddler size are just so bulky - I converted them to pre-fitteds. You may want to look into just buying/makeing pre-fitteds if you go with toddler size. Also, I have not found 4x6x4 toddler prefolds, only 4x8x4 which are much thicker. If you could find 4x6x4 that could help.

The rise is usually about the same as a disposable. Just below the belly button to just above the buttocks. For covers you need to measure over a diaper. I think a toddler rise is going to be huge on her, so maybe look into "trimmed" pre-folds (they have some of the rise cut off) or premiums pre-fitteds that have wing extensions.