PDA

View Full Version : Out and About ????s

mamalia
10-01-2006, 07:31 PM
We've been CDing for about two months now and almost everytime we've tried to do it out of the house we've had an accident in the carseat. It is such a hassle to wash the seat that I've been using sposies while out, but now that we're going to Fall classes I feel like she's in sposies more than CDs. :(

I'm wondering what do you do when you're out and about to prevent leaks in the seat? Do you put something under them just in case? Do you put a bulky diaper on and then switch to a pocket?

Also how do you "take care of the mess" while out? Do you rinse in the sink? Do others mind? Do you just put it all in the wet bag? And how do you manage to do all of the CD maneuvering while on one of those small (and potentially icky) changing tables?

Any tips or tricks appreciated!

Thanks,
Malia

mommyoftwo
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
What is causing the accidents? Are your diapers getting soaked and then making the seat wet or are you having blowouts? We always use CDs even when we are out and about. Unless we are traveling a really long distance, I've never had a problem. I have some pocket diapers which I almost always use when we are out of the house just because it is so much easier than dealing with a fitted and cover. If I know we are going to be in the car travelling for a long time, I make sure I really stuff the pockets well and we make planned stops for diaper changes and stretching our legs. I have several smallish wetbags that I use for travel. They hold 4-6 diapers and fit very nicely in my diaper bag. They also work well for wet clothing now that we are potty training Amelia. Wheneve we have any sort of big mess, I just throw it all in the wetbag and deal with it when I get home.

MommyAllison
10-01-2006, 10:47 PM
We use our CDs when out and about - usually I use fitteds w/wool, sometimes with fleece or PUL covers. Pockets are saved for the church nursery and nights, mostly. I put everything in the wet bag and deal with it at home. I agree with you that I have a difficult time changing DD on those tiny changing tables - I usually try to find somewhere else private (car, stroller, even the floor with a changing pad on it! etc). We haven't had any problems with the car seat - are you changing right before you get in the car? I do save my most absorbant fitteds for car trips/out and about. What kind of covers are you using? That makes a big difference in preventing leaks, IME. I use PUL if I absolutely cannot deal with a leak, but I find wool very leak proof as well.

Allison

mamalia
10-01-2006, 11:44 PM
It's been pee every time. She's soaking to the seat. I THINK it is because she pees a lot all it once so if she's sitting it just has no where else to go but out...I'm thinking the disposable just absorbs it all quicker???

Maybe I'll try adding inserts, but what do you extra stuff a pocket with, two inserts? Right now we just use the insert that came with the fuzzibunz and the one GAD I have.

I feel like the fitteds and wool cover we have would probably work better (I usually have her in that during nap because it holds so much more) but it is so bulky on her frame. I usually don't put her pants on top of it until we switch back to pockets. Maybe I just need to get over that though and try.

Okay good to know that I don't have to worry about dealing with it right away. Although I am TRULY worried about forgetting diapers in my bag. I did that with a banana once and everytime I was out I kept looking around for who was so stinky. I was so embarassed when I finally found it and realized it was ME!

Thanks Jessica.

Malia

mamalia
10-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Ohhhh Allison, do you use the fitteds w/ wool only under dresses? If it's under pants too what kind of pants are friendly to the bulk?

I've had leaks using Fuzzibunz, prefold in a bsww, and harleyz pocket. The latter two I've learned from naps are just not great at holding loads of pee. But I think I may need to try the fuzzibunz again (maybe with two inserts or something) and maybe my wool cover and fitteds. Part of the problem may be that she's peeing so much because she's woken from nap but won't pee until AFTER we're in the car. :(

Thanks,
Malia

lizajane
10-02-2006, 07:34 AM
are you using microfiber inserts that came with the FB or hemp inserts that came with the FB? i would recommend wrapping a JB in a cheap-o (and thin) microfiber towel.

do you have gaps around the legs?

i use ziploc bags when out. if i can knock the poop into the potty, i do that. if not, i stick the whole nasty thing in the bag and then toss it in the potty when i get home. after soaking in the potty a bit, i use the minishower to rinse it off.

Joolsplus2
10-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Try getting a baby bjorn little potty and sitting her on it after the nap (we put ours on the counter in the bathroom or on the changing table, it's really not a big weird deal, Leah LOVES potty time..we're all excited when we catch a pee, lol). She'll pee a cup or so, then diaper her up, and she'll be way more comfy in the car.

And I love Ducky Bunz, they have like an extra flap at the front...but kinda like GAD inserts...we can go out all day with one of those in an FB and never have a leak (and that's even without going potty... I'm only a part-time EC'er :)).

We have a PUL wetbag or two, the small size, I keep a dry FB in there and put the wet one in the bag...no muss, no fuss... toss the whole thing in the wash or diaper pail when we get home (I haven't dealt with cloth wet wipes for travel, we just use disposable wipes).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MommyAllison
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I do use fitteds + wool under pants - here is the stuff I use. Fitteds: faves for absorbancy are SugarPlumBaby oc/hemp fitteds (with extra doubler) and BijouBabyGear velour dipes. If I want it to be trim, I throw a Luxe Baby pull on wool cover over the top, and it fits under everything, even her jeans. BabyGap jeans fit fine for us, most others don't, though I can get her into some of her Old Navy pants too. Otherwise we use knit pants. For trim, my current fave fitted is a Girl Woman Goddess - it looks trimmer than a disposable! Pretty absorbant too - but I think they are hard to find. I do always use two inserts in my FB but I use microfiber towels. Can't type more now but ask questions if you have more.

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

mudder17
10-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Like Jessica, we've always used CDs for everything, including being out and about. Fitted and wool cover (Angeldry covers are good, but not too bulky covers) work better for the car seat, although my snap-EZ fleece pockets also work in the car seat. Kaya also tends to hold and then let it all out, so even though she could go an hour or so without wetting her diaper, she would then let it all out. So we definitely had a soaker on our hands. For the fleece pocket, we stuffed it with a LJ night insert + a MF towel. But like Jessica, if we had a long trip, we would take breaks to change diapers and such. The last long trip we were on, Kaya was in the middle of training and so we just stopped every 1-2 hours (usually we stopped after an hour because of ME, though!) to give her a chance to pee. Now that she's older, we can actually ask her if she needs to go. Anyway, yes, if your DD is anything like Kaya, I could see why an FB with a single insert wouldn't hold a flood. If you have any MF towels, you could try adding one or two to the insert that came with the FB. Or, as Jessica suggested, you can use a fitted and wool cover.

And by the way, I remember when Kaya was around 4-6 months, I took her to my school for a visit. I had a few prefolds (like 3-4) + extra covers, so I figured I was all set. Well, she had enough messes that it turned out I ran out!!! I finally had to resort to using those Gerber prefolds (which I used as a burp cloth) and while it wasn't pretty, it held until we got home, whew!

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 30 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

mamalia
10-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Microfiber inserts. We have an MOE one and a Cottonbabies one. When she sits sometimes it will gape open - yesterday during nap I discovered this when she sat up and then proceeded to wet the bed. :( Will adding in extra inserts alleviate this? Or do I just need to wait until her legs chub up a bit more?

Ziploc bags sound great because I'm not sure how well the wet bag I'm using will hold up (it's from our luggage set).

Thanks Liza,
Malia

mamalia
10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey Julie...good idea about sitting her up high to go pee. We've sat her on the potty on the ground before but she gets up prior to peeing. I might try reading up on EC, maybe there are tips that will help me. She's telling me she has to pee, she wants to sit on the potty, but she refuses to go IN the potty.

Malia

mamalia
10-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Sigh, I so don't want to invest in more diapers at this point even though all of these brands sound tempting. We got some knit pants during target's sale last week so hopefully these will be better for the bulk.

Thanks Allison,
Malia

mamalia
10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Yup that pretty much describes Kailie. We were out at the zoo all morning yesterday and she held her pee until we got home, took a nap and when she woke up it came in a flood! So while the FB held during our car trip by default (yeah for not cleaning the seat), I still ended up washing linens. ;P

Malia