PDA

View Full Version : Diaper rash treatments... what do you find works best?

Maria K
10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
DS's poor little rear end looks so sad and really seems to be bothering him now.
Thanks for any advise!

megs4413
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
most people find that a combo works best--dont' use the same thing every time. I have also heard great things about triple paste.

we use boudreaux's butt paste and absolutely love it...i haven't needed anything else...

writermama
10-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Nak

For a smooth, angry red rash with even margins that looks like a burn (and actually is a burn from acids in the poop): sitz baths in lukewarm water with baking soda, pat dry or air dry, and cover with a barrier cream - I like zinc creams and find the fish oil ones work best for my girls (Desitin), but the will stain CDs. Eileen's magic mixture of triple paste, milk of magnesia, and aquaphor will also work wonders and is safe for CDs.

For a yeast rash (bumpy, uneven margins): lotrimin, plain yogurt (external), and probiotics (internal and/or external). Limiting dietary sugar may also help.

For rash prevention: pretty much any barrier cream. I rotate between aquaphor, aveeno, and desitin.

hth

JBaxter
10-03-2006, 05:52 AM
I voted other. I used a mix of Triple Paste, Aquaphor and mylanta. ( thanks Eileen ! ). Worked well for us.

Saartje
10-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Triple Paste works so well that I don't use any other cream except in emergencies. My sister even came over to borrow a cup of Triple Paste the other day — her son had an awful rash, and she couldn't find their tube of it. ;)

mudder17
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Yep, BS sitz bath plus the mixture works well over here. ;)

I hope your DS feels better soon!

eta: make sure your DS' bum is completely dry before applying any sort of treatment.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 31 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

denna
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Well I voted for other. When DS has redness or sometimes a little irration we use Lanolin Hydrous by fougera and it works amazingly! His first rash at about 4 weeks came on all of a sudden (I think it was from something I was eating) and my MIL suggested to use the Lanolin that I was using on my breasts and it worked so well, his rash was gone the very next day! She then sent us the jar that I quoted earlier.

Just on normal days we use California Baby Calming Diaper Cream and DS loves it....

We also have California Baby Diaper Area Wash (also for cuts/ scrapes) but we havent tried it yet.

Denna

brittone2
10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Voted for other...

DS only ever had very mild diaper rashes...very mild, so we were lucky. In our case, at the first sign of impending irritation, we did a lot of nakey time and that often did the trick. If necessary I used a barrier like Aquaphor. That's pretty much all we ever used, but again, we were very fortunate and didn't battle much in the way of diaper rash.

lizajane
10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
very few rashes in our CDS... but when we do- a mild rash, we use burt's bees. for a nasty rash, we use boudreax's. the reason we save the BBP is it stains CDs, so we have to use liners or sposies to use it.

Maria K
10-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the adivse. DS definitely has a yeast infection. Poor little pooker cried all day today.

For those of you that have CD'ed and used disposables... do you find that CD's help with rashes?

I'm off to read the CD 101 thread.

- Maria

writermama
10-04-2006, 10:07 AM
>For those of you that have CD'ed and used disposables... do
>you find that CD's help with rashes?

yes*

* cds help with many to most rashes, but not all. cds are more breatheable, you generally change them more frequently, and fabrics are softer than paper and don't have icky chemicals that irritate some babies more than others.

However, if you're battling yeast, you would have to add extra steps to your wash routine to get the yeast out of cds. The breathability might help, though. Nekkid time might also help with yeast.

Also, some babies are sensitive to certain fabrics such as hemp, fleece, or PUL. If you have a super-senitive rashy baby, it may take some trial and error to determine which cd fabrics work with your baby.

Finally, wash routines become an issue with rashes and cds. The trick is to find the detergent that doesn't irritate your child and then use enough to get the diapes clean, but make sure that ALL of it rinses out.

CDs give you lots more options than sposies, and this is both good and bad in that it may take more time and effort to figure out what works best for you.

So, the short answer is still yes, cds help (most babies, most rashes), but it's not a guarantee that a specific type of cd will absolutely work with a specific baby.

MeyersDVM
10-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I have to agree with the PP that Lanolin works wonders. Thankfully, DD has not had any major rashes, just redness from time to time. We have tried Burt's Bees, Triple Paste, Desitin, Butt Paste, etc. The only one that gets rid of the redness fast is the leftover Lansinoh I had from the first few weeks of BF. It works well on drool rashes, too.

JBaxter
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Nathan's rashes were the reason I switched to cloth. He had almost 0 rashes after we switched.

Maria K
10-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Thank you for all the advice... DS's little hiney looks so much better. We gave him Lotrimin for several days and now we're using Butt Paste & occasionally zinc oxide.
I decided to make the switch for cloth. I'm really nervous & excited for our order to come. I'm going to post a separate thread for advise on what I might want to add to the order I've placed. Any feedback there would also be appreciated.
DS's little tushy has you all to thank for feeling better. THANKS!
- Maria