PDA

View Full Version : Bought a potty, now what?

niccig
10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
DS is 21 months and I don't know if he's ready - if you ask if he has a poopy diaper he says no, but then he answers most questions with a no; we use cloth and he knows the poop goes in the toilet and he wants to flush and wave bye bye; and he can take his clothes off with a little help.

I got the baby bjorn potty, but I don't know what to do now. Tonight, I put him on it before bath and after bath. He was happy to sit and read. After a little while he got off or I took him off. He didn't go. Is that right? How often should I sit him on it? Anything else I should do? I want to encourage him but not push him. It would be great if he PTed early, but I don't want to push if he's not ready.

Nicci

o_mom
10-07-2006, 06:59 AM
One suggestion is to ask if he has a clean or dry diaper, not if it is wet or poopy. That way his answer can be positive.

Other than that, just have him sit on it a few times and eventually he will go. You could try naked time. Watch like a hawk and keep the potty in arm's reach. When he starts to go make a big deal "You're peeing! Let's put it in the Potty!!" If he is ready, he will get it quick and not have any misses when he is naked. DS1 we tried at around 28 mos and he just wasn't getting it. I just went back to diapers and waited a few months and the next time we tried he would go every time when he was naked. We have slowly worked up to wearing pants now. :-)

Joolsplus2
10-07-2006, 08:46 AM
You could try putting it near the big toilet and taking him when you go. Leah loves sitting on her potty in the bathroom when I go, and I can keep an eye on her (check your shame at the door ;) )

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

niccig
10-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I know DS is young, so I'll just put him on it a few times a day and see what happens. He insisted on having the potty in the family room. DH said he watched sesame street on it, but he had his clothes on. DH wasn't sure what to do...gees, it's a toilet, you think he could figure it out.

No need to check shame at the door. DS always comes into the bathroom when I go, at first he wanted to sit on your lap while you went, but now he wants TP so he can wipe my leg and he wants to flush. I can't remember the last time I went to the toilet alone. ;-)

We'll see how things go.
Nicci