PDA

View Full Version : Help please! Buildup *IN* your washing machine?

brittone2
10-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Can it happen?

I'm all nesty at present and washed a bunch of brand new dipes I got for this baby (I'll end up rewashing closer to EDD but whatever...). All was fine...didn't pay much attention, did my usual wash thing.

I also have some newborn fitteds and preemie prefolds I picked up off various trading posts, etc. (none of these were from swap or from any mamas here). I washed those separately in case there was any buildup, so it wouldn't get in the bought-new dipes.

So, lots of suds with the 2nd hand dipes when running just a plain hot wash without detergent. At this point, I have literally washed like 12 cycles, in addition to running a few quick ones where I just ran hot water, let it agitate for a few mins, spun it out, ran a quick cold rinse, spun it out. But I've done at least 12 full loads at this point, and the bubble situation is not resolving.

I've never dealt w/ this. My dipes from DS really never had a buildup problem and I've never had to worry about it. I've read the old threads...I tried a little vinegar and a little oxyclean out of desperation when the bubbles were just not going away. Same old same old.

So, DH suggested pulling everything out and seeing what happened if I ran a hot wash with NO dipes and let it agitate. Bubbles. About the same as the loads w/ the dipes.

I don't know if it is residue now from the 2nd hand dipes, or some sort of residue buildup in my machine? We usually just use plain old Tide, and I've been using it a long time without any diaper problems, so I've stuck with it.

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll run a cycle or two of hot wash, full amount of water, w/ baking soda and vinegar. I saw a few places online that suggested this.

I also have some Charlie's soap that I picked up recently, but haven't used yet. I know they recommend running some through your washing machine without clothes before using it with clothes...I guess to clean out the residue from old detergents? Should I try running the machine w/ just Charlie's in it?

My eyes are gonna cross if I have to run one more load. This has been insanity trying to get the buildup out...and now I'm not even sure if it is the dipes, or if it has been somehow coming from the washer all this time?

any experience, suggestions, etc. most appreciated as always :) Oh, and I have slightly hard water but nothing crazy.

american_mama
10-08-2006, 11:44 PM
No real answer, but I remember reading this "how to" for washing machine maintenance when I first started CDing. I've never felt the need to do it, but you might get some ideas.

http://www.thediaperhyena.com/washingmachinecare.htm

Twelves washes sounds very frustrating.

Joolsplus2
10-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Oh ick! I'd be going nuts, too!
You know, Charlie's was designed to clean big metal machines (industrial textile machines, IIRC)...I'd really try a couple scoops of it and see what happens.

Good luck, I hope that site has some great ideas.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lizajane
10-09-2006, 07:52 AM
definitely put in two scoops of charlie's and run an empty load. (well, they say to put in a few rags... maybe put in some non-build up prefolds, say 4?)

MeyersDVM
10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Tide is notorious for causing buildup especially with any kind of hard water. The Charlie's Soap will remove the residue, but it may take more than one load especially if all your clothing still has Tide buildup that the CS is removing in every wash. YOu can add some STPP (I know, I know phosphates aren't environmentally friendly) to help soften your water. Check out this link:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/laundry/2003052601018823.html

HTH

stillplayswithbarbies
10-09-2006, 11:57 AM
are you sure you are seeing suds and not just bubbles from agitation? Stop the washer and let the water settle. Do you see suds after the water stops moving, or is the water clear?

brittone2
10-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Definitely suds. They are rainbow colored and stick around after I stop agitation. They also accumulate around the inside of the washer as it spins out...I've been scooping them out hoping it would help.

I had an appt this morning so I'm just getting to my washing machine now. I've got baking soda, vinegar, and Charlie's. I'll probably run it like that a few times and see what happens.

I guess it is good that now I know it seems like it is the machine.

Thanks for the help. I'll see what happpens.

brittone2
10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm > < this close to throwing out my dozen preemie prefolds and 4 mutts. I may do it by the end of the day.

I ran a load yesterday w/ baking soda and vinegar. I then did a load w/ Charlie's. I then ran a bunch of empty, full hot water loads. Sudsing was reduced.

Put the dipes in and suds. I've washed another 4 times today and it isn't even getting any better. I could cry. That's a lot of money down the drain :( I think I'm d-o-n-e buying 2nd hand dipes. I've never had a problem but this is insanity. I've probably spent more money for the electric to wash them this may times than they are worth (not really, but it feels like it).

I'm not even seeing a reduction in suds. That's what is killing me. It is the same amount, over and over. I also tried running a load with Charlies and some vinegar, but no difference. I just keep washing, rinsing, washing, rinsing, and still there are lovely rainbow suds in my machine that I can scoop out by hand :(

Sorry for the pout. This is getting in the way of my LIFE at this point, which means it is probably time to give up. It is driving me bonkers.

Joolsplus2
10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Sounds like they might be GREAT for car washing...like, built in soap!

Sorry, that's such an incredible bummer :P
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx
www.joolstag.myarbonne.com

brittone2
10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
LOL! I have to find some humor it this, right?? ;)

I took the dipes out again, reran an empty load, highest water setting, on hot, and it is bubbling without the dipes in there again.

I don't know if it is a combo of my machine and the dipes, or the dipes just causing buildup in my machine at this point, or what. That's what is driving my bonkers.

It is so weird that it isn't getting better either?? There aren't loads and loads of soap bubbles, but a definite layer of bubbles on the top.

MommyAllison
10-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Ugh, this is my fear since I do buy a lot of second hand dipes. :( I wish there was some professional you could call to come out and deal with laundry issues! I would probably retire the prefolds to cleaning cloths and do something with the Mutts - I don't know if I could bring myself to throw out fluff. Doll diapers maybe? :) Hope it all resolves soon for you!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

american_mama
10-10-2006, 11:12 PM
What about scrubbing with Dawn? Or talking to your chemist DH about what substance would best negate the suds, an anti-surfactant, I guess. Or, if you want to get really creative and desperate, try tracking down a real expert, like maybe someone at the Charlie Soap company or an academic expert in textiles.

Cornell Univ. has a department of Textiles and Apparel (some science, some fashion) http://www.human.cornell.edu/TXA/index.cfm

Googling turned up this http://www.textilescience.ca/ and http://textilesociety.org/

Closer to home, NC State has College of Textiles- Department of Textile Engineering, Chemistry & Science and College of Textiles-Department of Textiles & Apparel, Technology & Management.

Also, in the thread about optical brighteners from many months ago, the original poster of that thread got some answers from a fabric/textile expert. You could hunt that thread/poster/expert up.

nisi
10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
To get the buildup out of the dipes, try tossing them in boiling water for a few minutes. I had to do this a few times before I got my wash routine figured out. It worked great! I was amazed at the suds that came out of dipes I thought were rinsed clean. It's possible they'll shrink, and sometimes resin snaps aren't quite right after being exposed to boiling temps, but if they're headed for the rag bin anyway... why not?

To get the buildup out of the washer try...

Super hot water. Maybe turn your water heater up temporarily.

I've read that a small amount of automatic dishwasher detergent is good for cleaning washers (I think it's the phosphates). Maybe try that with the super hot water.

Washer Magic might be worth a try.
http://www.ironout.com/brands/WasherMagic.aspx
I found it at Linens & Things. It's more for mineral buildup than detergent buildup, but it could be a comnibation of the two that's causing the problem.

FYI - I wouldn't use baking soda and vinegar in the same wash. They react, forming carbon dioxide and water. Harmless, but useless for cleaning. Vinegar alone might be useful though.

Good luck! Hopefully once the buildup is gone from the dipes AND washer, you won't have to deal with this again.

Nisi
CPS tech and mom to 2 girls, 2/01 and 12/04