PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old leaking with size 3 Huggies

DrSally
07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the boards and have gotten a lot of great info from reading old posts, esp. on carseats, breastfeeding, and solid feeding--thanks for all the great, informed advice. My 6 month old DS is 18 lbs and prob 27 inches (70th percentil for height I think). Recently he's started rolling a lot and getting all over his crib--sideways, legs on bumper, etc. I nurse him once a night, usually at 3 or 4am now. When I go to get him around 7am, he's been totally soaked up to the armpit on the right side! It happens during naps, and today he got soaked in the same place while playing on the floor. I tried changing his diaper after the nighttime feeding, but it's not that it's too full, somehow these huggies that have done me well for leaks are leaking. Size 3 is supposed to be good until 26 lbs. I wonder if he's too tall and there isn't enough coverage in the back? Has anyone had this issue? Do you think Huggies supreme or Pampers cruisers would be better? He used to only have leaks when transitioning out of or into a new size. Is there any secret to diapering a boy I should know about (I tried to make sure his penis was pointing down). Last night I double diapered him and that helped, but there's got to be a better solution. I can't keep changing his crib sheets 2X a day

Thanks in advance, Sally

mommytoC
07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I can't help much with your daytime issue (or at all with your BB issues!), but I would consider trying Huggies Overnights (in size 4) for nighttime. My DD is a little older than your DS, but just about the same size. About a month ago, we had the same problem (diaper not saturated, just leaking) with the generic Target diapers we'd been using since birth (both during the day, and at night). We sized up (to size 3 for days/size 4 for nights) and had the same problem, but have done great since switching to Huggies (size 3)/Huggies overnights (size 4).

FWIW, I do think that Huggies run small, and anticipate we'll need to size up well before 26 lbs. I tried the Huggies supremes too, and while I thought they had a little bit better fit, the regular Huggies worked just as well (at least for us). So, it might be worth trying the supremes, or sizing up if those don't work. I haven't tried Pampers...so no information there.

When we were dealing with this, I bought small packs of all three Huggies diapers to try, planning to try Pampers next if the Huggies didn't work. Hopefully you'll get some good advice, but to know what works best for your DS, you may just need to plan your own "diaper experiment".

Good luck!

Ann

DD 11/05

DrSally
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks, I've never seen Huggies overnights, but have seen several mentions on the boards, so will look for them. I agree that Huggies run small (I used them transitioning out of size 2 b/c the regular pampers were leaking), but he's at the very low end of the weight range. It's hard to believe he needs to size up already (I bought a bunch of size 3 in bulk thinking 16-28 lbs. would take awhile). I liked Pampers swaddlers for sizes 1-2. I guess every size needs a different experiment! BTW, Target diapers always leaked for me b/c no elastic in the back--glad they worked for you and you got to save some money!

Sally

mommytoC
07-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I buy the overnights at SuperWalmart, the only store I've found them at locally (I live in Iowa.). I forgot to mention in my initial post that you consider moving your question to the Baby Butts forum...you'll get a lot more traffic, and hopefully, a lot of good advise.

Good luck!

Ann

DD 11/05

MagsMom
07-23-2006, 07:42 AM
My son has been in size 5 since he was about 4 months old. I wouldn't have thought to put him in those, but my sitter told me he needed the bigger size and she was right.

I think the Costco Kirkland diapers are the best deal. You can get them at 1800diapers.com if you don't have a Costco near you or aren't a member or just hate going there like me. I just bought Luvs because I couldn't wait for the diapers in the mail and didn't want to go to Costco and while they work during the day, they always leak at night. They aren't as big as the Costco ones even though they are size 5.

My son weighs 24 pounds now.

Magsmom

DrSally
07-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I have been slow to discover that the weight guidelines are very loose for diapers and to go more by babies shape. Sz 4 definitely works for us, he's 18 lbs now. I saw an add for 1800diapers and will check them out. I like to buy in bulk too.

mldflygirl
07-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Just saw your message here & thought I'd add my two cents' worth...

I've found that Huggies & Target's brand leak a lot with my DS - in every size we've tried so far - but Pampers, Luvs, & White Cloud don't. I greatly prefer the fit & feel of Pampers to Luvs, by the way.

The Huggies (and I *think* Target brand, if I remember right) have an elasticized plastic strip around the back, which is supposed to help them fit better. But I think that it provides less coverage area if DS squirts forcefully! The Pampers, on the other hand, rise higher on the baby's back & have absorbent material all the way up. I don't know if that's what makes the difference or not, but there definitely does seem to be a difference between the brands. I'd recommend trying some other brands to see which ones fit your DS the best.

DrSally
07-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Mandy. I did notice that huggies don't have absorbant material all the way up the back. I only used pampers a few times since he grew out of swaddlers, so I didn't notice if their absorbant material went all the way up the back. That's a good explaination, though, that there's less coverage area if boys squirt forcefully. May explain why it ends up soaked by his armpit. Maybe pampers are an alternative to sizing up in huggies.