PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapers

twinmom34
10-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Hi! We're expecting twins in March and want to use cloth diapers, but I don't know where to begin! We want to use prefolds. Do you always use pins with prefolds or does the prowrap secure the diaper enough? We thought we would use prefolds with pins and nylon pants, but are now thinking about using the prowraps instead. Is there an advantage to either one? Does one prevent leaks better? Does the Snappi fastener really work well and is it necessary with the prowrap? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't even know where to start. Thanks so much!

mudder17
10-20-2006, 11:21 AM
First off, congratulations on your upcoming arrivals. With prefolds, you can use pins, but you can also use snappi's, which were easier for us, IMHO, particularly at night when you might be more nervous about accidently poking yourself or your baby. They are inexpensive and worth every penny. I would recommend either pins or snappis with any cover just because it is an extra barrier for leaky poop. I have used both proraps and litewraps and nylon covers and honestly, it's a matter of personal preference. I do prefer nylon material, though (they come in both pull-up pants and wraps) because they are more breathable. You might want to check out the 101 file pinned at the top of this forum. There are discussions about newborn diaper stashes. We did end up using mostly prefolds and covers in the beginning with no problem. And it's economical, too! :) Good luck!

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 31 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

Alice523
10-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I love the Snappi (so easy!) and would definitely use it over pins. Also, when I can't locate a Snappi, I wing it with a folded prefold inside the prorap without it and it's a pain. It's much better with the Snappi. Plus, in times of diaper rash, you can Snappi the prefold and let them go coverless so that there's more airflow for healing. Congratulations and good luck!

niccig
10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Definitely a snappi, it just keeps everything held together and therfore the poop is contained better IMO. As for covers, it'll be preference and your child's shape. My DS had/has chunder thighs and bumpy days/night covers or Nikky covers, were the only ones that didn't leave awful red marks on his thighs. We started with prowraps and I then had to experiment until I found a cover that worked better for us.

Nicci

tylersmama
10-23-2006, 11:29 PM
We use a service (awesome baby shower gift from my mom!). The service uses prowraps, and they provide the covers up until baby is in mediums, then you have to buy your own. The prowraps have been fine, but we do have leaky poops, mostly I think because DS has really skinny thighs, so the prowraps don't fit snugly on his legs. I bought some bumpy covers based on the recommendations I was given on this board, and I think they will work better once he grows into them. We have never used a Snappi fastener or a pin.

heamaha
10-26-2006, 06:35 PM
We use cloth diapers - Chinese prefolds with Proraps covers - during the day and disposables at night or when away from home.

We started with a diaper service until we felt like we had the time to wash our own, which is what we do now.

A great book about cloth diapering - which is a quick and easy read - is "Diaper Changes" by Theresa Farrisi. This book gives the reasons for cloth diapering and goes over the various products, accessories, and how to diaper and wash.

Here is what we use and where we bought them (after shopping around for the best deals). We also use washable cloth baby wipes and make our own baby wipe solution (which is less harsh than disposable baby wipe chemicals).

** Diaper Pail - $16 from our diaper service
** Diaper Pail Liners - Two @ $15 (alternate with washings; wash with diapers) - www.babycottonbottoms.com
** Chinese DSQ (diaper service quality) prefolds - 4 or 5 dozen @ $16/dozen - New on Ebay, seller "granitesmith" (free shipping on each extra dozen)
** New Proraps Classic Velcro Diaper Covers - Five @ $7/each - New on Ebay, seller "granitesmith" (free shipping with diaper order)
** Imse Vimse Disposable (Biodegradable) Diaper Liners - Baby Size - 200 sheets @ $11.25 ($3.50 flat shipping per order) - www.babycottonbottoms.com [If there isn't a poop, we wash these in a net/mesh bag with the diapers and re-use them.]
** Thirsties Flannel Baby Wipes - Eight dozen @ $5/dozen

Homemade Wipe Solution - 16 ounce water, 1 tsp Dr. Bronner's Baby Castille Soap, and 2-3 drops tea tree oil (from natural food store)

Washing Method and Other Info:

www.diaperpin.com/howto.asp

heamaha
10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
We use cloth diapers - Chinese prefolds with Proraps covers - during the day and disposables at night or when away from home.

We started with a diaper service until we felt like we had the time to wash our own, which is what we do now.

A great book about cloth diapering - which is a quick and easy read - is "Diaper Changes" by Theresa Farrisi. This book gives the reasons for cloth diapering and goes over the various products, accessories, and how to diaper and wash.

Here is what we use and where we bought them (after shopping around for the best deals). We also use washable cloth baby wipes and make our own baby wipe solution (which is less harsh than disposable baby wipe chemicals).

** Diaper Pail - $16 from our diaper service
** Diaper Pail Liners - Two @ $15 (alternate with washings; wash with diapers) - www.babycottonbottoms.com
** Chinese DSQ (diaper service quality) prefolds - 4 or 5 dozen @ $16/dozen - New on Ebay, seller "granitesmith" (free shipping on each extra dozen)
** New Proraps Classic Velcro Diaper Covers - Five @ $7/each - New on Ebay, seller "granitesmith" (free shipping with diaper order)
** Imse Vimse Disposable (Biodegradable) Diaper Liners - Baby Size - 200 sheets @ $11.25 ($3.50 flat shipping per order) - www.babycottonbottoms.com [If there isn't a poop, we wash these in a net/mesh bag with the diapers and re-use them.]
Thirsties Flannel Baby Wipes Eight dozen @ $5/dozen

Homemade Wipe Solution - 16 ounce water, 1 tsp Dr. Bronner's Baby Castille Soap, and 2-3 drops tea tree oil (from natural food store)

Washing Method and Other Info:

www.diaperpin.com/howto.asp

elephantmeg
10-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Snappi, snappi, snappi! It does hold the diaper closed better and helps with poop blow outs (IMHO) and super fast and easy. We use mainly IPF with either a BSWW or a prowap cover. I do have some nylon covers as spare. We also use bumgenious as the diaper bag diaper-I have 7 of them and they are great for DH/out and about. And I must admit we use disposables at night and at the sitter. I have had trouble with DS wiggling out of nylon covers somewhat so I really prefer a wrap.