PDA

View Full Version : Another potty question...

niccig
10-23-2006, 03:58 PM
DS is nearly 22 months. He's peed twice in the potty, both times I was lucky with the timing. Today he kept saying potty, so I took him, I tried to take his pants off and he fought me, so I thought OK he doesn't want to go. But as I was pulling them back up, he fought me again and kept trying to pull them down. I try to help and he fights me again, finally the pants are off, but he's crying, he then sits on the potty and is guite happy, he doesn't want to get off for 20mins. Later, at the end of our swimming class, he grabs his crotch and says poo, so I rush him to the locker room, he happily sits on the toilet for a few minutes, then tells me he wants to have a hot shower. We get home, I'm changing him into his nap diaper, he tells me he wants potty, he sits for nearly 30mins reading and wiping himself with a cloth wipe. He finally gets off so he can put the wipe in the diaper pail, then as I'm changing him into the nap diaper, he doesn't want it and wants the potty. I tell him we'll go again after his nap.....

Ok...so are we doing this right? Should I be fighting him to get the clothes on or off? At first it seems that he doesn't want the potty, but then he doesn't want to get off....I'm confused, and he probably is too!!

Nicci

KrisM
10-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Hmmm. Can you let him run around with no pants on at home? Just a diaper?

niccig
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
He strips the diaper off in seconds if he doesn't have pants on. We can do nakey time. I'll try that.

How long do you let them sit on the potty. So far today he's sat 3 times for about 20-30 mins each. He doesn't want to get up. I suppose it's an improvement on last week when he would only sit on it for a minute or two.

I'll try nakey time...

Nicci

KrisM
10-24-2006, 06:28 AM
I guess I'd try either naked time or underwear. Underwear is harder to pull off themselves and it makes less mess if there is poop involved.

I don't have him sit on the potty because he is an expert at making himself pee. We've never had him just sit. Not sure why, but he has known for a long time how to push a bit out and can always squeeze out a few drops :).

But, I probably wouldn't go much longer than 30 minutes. It seems to be a long time spent on the potty.