PDA

View Full Version : help DS not pooping.

robinsonbn
10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
So DS started going through his first growth spurt..I am breastfeeding him as much as possible but he is eating so much I havent been able to pump for when DH or my mom is watching him. So we have been giving him formula. He went 2 days without pooping though he was trying then had a blow out. Now it has been 3 days no poop, lots of wet diapers and passing of gas but no soiled diapers. I am getting worried my Ped just said give it some more time but DS is trying to hard and nothing is happening any advice?

Momof3Labs
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
It's normal for a bf'd baby to poop 10 times a day or once every 10 days. Adding the formula complicates things for his little system, and may slow things down a little more (and give him gas).

Try not to worry yet!

jenjenfirenjen
10-24-2006, 08:32 PM
I agree. I wouldn't worry unless he seems to be in pain.

robinsonbn
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
see he does seem to be in pain when it appears he is trying to poop. He pushes his legs in and out, gets that look on his face and turns red. He also occaisonally (sp) lets out little screams, then farts a couple times (sorry to be so forward) and goes back to sleep only to repeat anywhere from 20 min to hours later. I just feel bad for the little guy. :(

Moneypenny
10-25-2006, 09:08 AM
DD used to get backed up (not really constipated, but going 7-8 days between poops) at that age, so I know what you are talking about. We would bicycle her legs, give her warm baths and rub her tummy. We also used the mylicon drops to help with gas. There were a couple of times where she was obviously not gassy and was actually trying to poop (grunting and straining) and nothing was happening, so our ped suggested half of a glycerin suppository, which would do the trick. In your case, it may be the formula giving him a tummy ache so I think I would give it a couple more days before trying a suppository.
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

mommyto2
10-25-2006, 06:37 PM
How old is he? Is he eating solids?

jillc
10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I agree w/all the advice you've gotten so far. Pretty normal, and tough to feel like you can't help. We were in that situation, too, as were lots of friends. It's totally normal. This went on with DD for weeks at a couple months of age.

Our pediatrician's explanation was that it takes the little ones a while to figure out how to poop ~ they clench all their muscles, including their rectum, so it's kind of like trying to poop thru a closed door.

The thing that worked the best for helping DD was when I would "bicycle" her legs really slowly for a few minutes. I'd slowly and gently bring one of her knees up toward her tummy, hold it there for maybe a count of 10, and then do the other leg. Lots of times, after a few minutes of this, she would finally get it out.

Hang in there & hope you find something that helps or the stage passes quickly!
Jill

jenjenfirenjen
10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
>Our pediatrician's explanation was that it takes the little
>ones a while to figure out how to poop ~ they clench all their
>muscles, including their rectum, so it's kind of like trying
>to poop thru a closed door.

OK, this just cracked me up. Both my boys pooped in the womb so they obviously had no problem, lol.

To the OP, I know this sounds weird but have you tried inserting a rectal thermometer? This always got things moving for DS1.

robinsonbn
10-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Ok I am glad a PP suggested taking his rectal temp..cause yea we did that wendsday night (and kinda felt bad though he was oddly calm) we also rubbed his belly bicycled is legs (sorry if my spelling is bad tonight) and just generally tried to keep him as happy and calm as possible. Finally, Thursday around 4 he pooped..or as DH put it "exploded". I was running some errands at the time so DH had to take care of it himself...which in a way is poetic justice..I am sure many of you know what I mean (men thinking 2 diapers a day makes them even with us psh!) :). Anyway, thankyou all for your help. He hasn't gone since but I am hoping this doesn't become a normal thing, I just wanted to cry for him that last day he seemed so unhappy.