PDA

View Full Version : In process of converting...but a few questions

mcdonald29
10-28-2006, 05:50 PM
So I dipped my toe into the CD world and purchased a couple different brands, mostly pockets. I am just giving them their first wash, trying to up the absorbancy of the inserts. I've searched the archives still but have a couple of questions:

Looks like generally speaking the wash routine is cold soak, hot wash, and a second rinse. Is the purpose of the cold soak mostly for diapers w/#2? Is there anything wrong with skipping this step if the diapers only have peepee in them?

Do you ever wash anything else with your diaper loads, i.e. towels?

Are there tricks to controling remaining odor in the dry pail? Does a dry pail also need a wet bag?

In general, what are the pros and cons of fleece vs ultraseude interiors?

TIA! Can't wait for the big diaper hunt to increase my (I mean *our*) collection :)

Momof3Labs
10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
In 3.5 years of CDing, I have never done a cold soak. I do two hot washes - one long with two rinses, and one not so long. Detergent only in the first wash.

I would NOT recommend washing anything else with your dipes, for the lint factor for starters. The exception are fleece and PUL covers - those could be washed with regular clothes.

If you dump the poop and your dipes are getting clean, a dry pail shouldn't smell much. We empty it daily to help control smell in the baby's room. Most people use a wet bag in their dry pail; I confess to using plastic bags since I never felt like I could get a wet bag dry (yes, I tried).

Fleece vs. ultrasuede - fleece is softer but tends to pill and it will collect lint/pilly stuff from the rest of your wash (thus no towels). Ultrasuede doesn't feel as nice to the touch, but tends to retain its original feel over time.

Have fun!

mcdonald29
10-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your answers.

Is "the lint factor" from the dipes or caused by them?

mldflygirl
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Let's see...

I wouldn't worry about a soak if the dipes are just wet. I do a soak w/mine, because DS is still EBF & I like to soak the dipes to help get any stains & solids out.

I wouldn't recommend washing *OR* drying anything else w/dipes. I made the mistake of drying some other stuff with them once, and got lint all over the dipes BIG TIME!

Dry pail - let it air out if you can. I think that helps more than anything else. I use a waterproof bag in mine (I bought one cheap in the camping section of "Dock's" Sporting Goods. You can buy better ones just for dipes for more $$ at diaper stores.)

The "lint factor", as you called it, is really only if you wash other items w/the dipes (so that the lint from the other things gets on the dipes). Most dipes aren't made of materials that would produce much lint.

Fleece vs. suede - Other than what the PP said: some babies are sensitive to one or the other. DS doesn't have a problem w/either. Suede is thinner & tends to make the diaper a bit more trim, IMO.

HTH!

ETA: I changed the name of the sporting goods store, since the *real* name isn't allowed. :) Hopefully you know what I mean. :)

tarynsmum
11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't soak.

Actually, I take that back. A couple weeks ago I soaked a couple dipes, but that was because DH (lazy man), took off 2 poopy dipes, and just put them, with the poop still in there, in the diaper pail. I had jut washed dipes that morning, so I didn't find out until 2 days later. Gross. So I soaked that time (and that was also the first time I EVER had a stain. Great).

I digress. The point is, I don't usually soak any dipe. If I have a load of dipes and there (by the grace of God), are no poopy diaper in there, I will do I cycle of hot wash, then 2 extra rinses. If there are 1 or more poopy dipes in there, I do 1 long hot cycle, followed by 1 extra rinse, then 1 regular length hot cycle, with 1 or 2 extra rinses. Hope that makes sense.

I've never washed anything with my dipes. For the same reasons as PP.

I also don't have an *actual* diaper pail. I have a dsignated laundry basket (the cheap plastic kinds). Honestly, it just sits there in DD's room, until I decide to wash them (usually every 2 days). Maybe because it has a wider top or the ventilated sides, but I never smell stink in her room (and I have a keen sense of smell, left over from the preggo days). Once she's more mobile, I'll get a regular pail with a lid. Til then, the cheapo way for me.

Oh, sometimes I put a little square of felt with a couple drops of essential orange (VERY potent) on the bottom of the pail. But not a lot, cuz I usually forget.

I like fleece inners, cuz they're soft on my DD's bum (she has very sensitive skin), and also because of the magical wicking qualities (wicking the moisture away from her bum). Most of my fitteds, and all of my AI2s have fleece inners or liners.