PDA

View Full Version : "convertible" disposable diaper - sound familiar?

chicagojo
11-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Maybe about 2 yrs ago one of the major disposable diaper companies came out with a product that could either be put on using velcro tabs, like a normal diaper, or pulled on like a pull-up. I think they may have been called "Convertibles". At the time I could envision no use for such a product since my DD was super-compliant with diaper changes. But now DS is really giving me a run for my money - he won't stay on his back for longer than about 2 seconds, and I'm sick of chasing him down with a handful of wipes, trying desperately to catch him before he decides to plop his poopy little butt down on the carpet. I looked on the Huggies and Pampers websites but couldn't find anything like this. I know they existed just 2 years ago. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and where I might be able to find something like this? TIA...

writermama
11-05-2006, 11:07 AM
It's not in your head. I have a sample of one that I never opened, because my DD has always been good about changes. I haven't seen them in stores for a while.

Joolsplus2
11-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, 'huggies convertibles'...I see them sometimes still at less-shopped at places like Kmart or my grocery store, and snagged a size 5 pack last time I saw them. Such a good idea, too bad they didn't stay on the market. Maybe a pack of 2t pullups to have one on hand for the worst of the worst changes... or a baby bjorn little potty (we have a natural instinct not to soil ourselves, I think that's why kids hate diapers, and can be potty trained from birth, if only parents knew it is possible :) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Radosti
11-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I just saw them at the store... now which store was it. I am thinking it was CVS.

new_mommy25
11-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Pullups have velcro on the side so they can be opened and closed. Maybe that would work for you?

tarynsmum
11-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Yep. They're in a blue-ish package. I have one left over from my niece, if you can't find any and want my package.

Joolsplus2
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Pullups with velcro? No :(...they just have rippable sides. That's what was cool about the convertibles...they were pullups with velcro...rippable sides AND velcro tabs.

chicagojo
11-06-2006, 09:31 AM
That would be awesome. I've looked all over the internet but no one seems to carry them. I'll try some local stores too but the more I can find the better - I feel like this is going to be the perfect solution for my guy. What size are the ones you have?

daisymommy
11-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, Huggies convertibles. They are still sold in nearly every store here. They are in a purple package. I'm in Virginia by the way.

skipspin
11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
My pull-ups have velcro sides ;-) they are GREAT!

I got the Huggies Princess ones in 2/3t. I still have a few hanging around that I keep in the car for after swimming lessons. (DD likes to drink the entire pool, then when we are in the middle of a residential area say, "Mommy, I need to go potty now, and I can't hold it." It's a lot easier to undo the pullup and put it under everything than to take her panties, pants and Converse hi-tops off. It's also easier than washing the car seat. LOL.)

I do remember the convertables, but never bought them.

~Joy

(maybe it's a new thing Julie...??? I have had some since DD was 2, so in the last year.)

chicagojo
11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
That's weird - they don't seem to sell them anywhere around here (Chicago) anymore. I wonder if they are a regional product or something like that? Maybe I will have to have a crate shipped to me from Virginia...

Joolsplus2
11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Wow, yeah, gotta be a crazy new invention, lol... I'm *glad* I'm wrong!!!!

:)

nisi
11-06-2006, 12:18 PM
These?
http://www.amazon.com/Huggies-Convertibles-Diaper-Pants-Step-22-37/dp/B000669FCM

They're discontinued :-( probably because once they added the velcro sides to the pull-ups there wasn't much reason for them. The ones pp is seeing in VA must be old stock I guess? If you can't find any convertibles I'd give the newer velcro side pull-ups a try. They *can* be put on like a diaper but it's going to be different from what you're used to. Not difficult, just a little weird until you get used to it. DD wears a pull-up most nights and it's about half and half for her wanting to pull it on herself or lay down (she MUST lay down... <sigh> toddlers :P ) and have me put it on for her, so I do have experience with this ;) BTW - the velcro sides are MUCH better for removing a messy disper than the old tear-off ones!

Nisi
CPS tech and mom to 2 girls, 2/01 and 12/04

chicagojo
11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Can someone tell me which pull-ups have velcro sides? I have only seen the ones with tear-off sides. I basically just need the velcro for getting it off and maybe adjusting the tightness a little bit once it's on, so a pull-up with velcro sides would be perfect. DS must know I'm investigating options because for the past day and a half he INSISTS on being changed standing up. And he's only 9 mos old. I can tell that life is going to get very interesting as time goes on...

millerpjm
11-06-2006, 03:28 PM
The Huggies pullups have the velcro sides - the Pampers ones do not.

Good luck!

Jen

tarynsmum
11-07-2006, 09:32 AM
they're size 4, I believe. It's not a huge package, I think there's like 40 -something in there? I haven't seen it in awhile, it's at the bottom of DD's closet, lol./

Tondi G
11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I was just in a Longs Drug store today and saw a bunch of Huggies Convertibles on the shelf in size 5... I actually almost bought them!

I know the pull ups have the velcro sides but they are not as convenient as a diaper tab!

daisymommy
11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I'll check next time I'm out shopping for you to see which sizes they are. What size do you need by the way?

chicagojo
11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Right now we need size 4, but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before size 5. I wonder why they are so easy to find in some areas, and non-existent around here?