PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use CDs and Disposables?

val01
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Our child will be going to daycare at 10 weeks. They don't allow cloth diapers. None of the better facilities here do. I wouldn't mind using CDs in the evenings and on the weekends. Does anyone mix the two?

Thank you!
Valerie

pittsburghgirl
11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I did mix the two, even though my DS wasn't in daycare. I didn't start cding until DS was 12 months so I already had used a lot of sposies (I discovered this board then) and while I was getting the hang of the CD's, I still used sposies for different situations, and actually always used them at night - he was in Huggies Overnights by then.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

MarisaSF
11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
We do. I tried everything with cloth to prevent DD from getting rashes. She does best in cloth if they're changed every couple of hours and as soon as she's wet/soiled. So, we keep her in cloth during the day, but in a disposable overnight. We also use disposables when we travel.
We would have done the same as you're planning to do if her daycare wouldn't do cloth.

shburks
11-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Me, too. I mostly use cloth but I do use disposables for overnights, babysitters, church nursery, etc.

I didn't start cd'ing until ds was about 8 months old, so, like a pp, did a mix for quite a while--especially until we got the hang of the cloth! I think any part of cloth you can do is great.

Susan

shburks
11-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Me, too. I mostly use cloth but I do use disposables for overnights, babysitters, church nursery, etc.

I didn't start cd'ing until ds was about 8 months old, so, like a pp, did a mix for quite a while--especially until we got the hang of the cloth! I think any part of cloth you can do is great.

Susan

nisi
11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
We did for a while, while we were figuring out if we wanted to CD full time or not. It was kind of a pain to make sure to remember to put her in a disposable before we left for daycare, but other than that, it wasn't a big deal. Oh, and during the week, I'd end up washing really small loads of diapers, which seemed like a bit of a waste, but again, not a big deal. Even once we were cd-ing full time, I'd occasionally take a few days break - like if I needed to catch up on the regular laundry lol!

On getting the daycare to use cloth...
I knew if I *asked* the daycare if they'd use cloth they'd say no. Most people envision lots of folding, pinning, etc. and don't have a clue about pockets, AIO's and such. (I sure didn't!) I figured if they could just try them first I'd have better luck so I didn't actually ask. I waited until dd was out of diapers and showed up the next day with a stack of Fuzzi Bunz :P I made it clear that it was trial only and if it was too much of a PITB for them we'd go back to disposables. Once they used them for a few days, they agreed it was no more trouble than disposables and they've been really good about it ever since. I know that might not be possible in your situation, but maybe once ds is there for a while you can show them the diapers you plan to use and they can see that it really isn't as much trouble as it sounds? Just an idea.

Nisi
CPS tech and mom to 2 girls, 2/01 and 12/04

doberbrat
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
We do too. Right before I found out our dc WOULD cd, I got some amazing deals on diapers so I bought 6 cases. (she was in a size 2 at the time and I bought size 3, 4 & 5)

I now have enough CD for dc (they change every 1-2h so I needed a BUNCH) but we just haven’t done it yet. We also keep her in a ‘sposie overnight. We co sleep and I do NOT want to wake up to a wet bed. And if we travel more than 1 day, we use ‘sposies until the last day or 2 of the trip.

I don’t think it needs to be ALL or NONE. If CD full time will stress you out, then do it part time. If you really really want to push the issue at dc, get your pedi to write you a note that he needs to have it for medical reasons (or that it’s a trial) etc.

ladyk13
11-07-2006, 10:38 AM
We do CDs at home (nights and weekends) and sposies for daycare - have since she started DC at three months old (she's almost 2yo). Works well for us.

tbriese
11-07-2006, 11:00 AM
we use cloth during the day and sposies at night. DD is a super-soaker at night!

we used to use cloth at the sitter but had some leaking issues after awhile and i wasn't in a good frame of mind to figure out what other dipes to try. on top of that our sitter can be a little absent minded and has thrown some diapers away!

my experience in kansas is that the state doesn't specify that you must use sposies. you might check your state health regulations; the daycare may just be saying they don't allow them but they have no legal basis for denying you that option. when i was searching for a sitter my approach was to offer a diaper that was as easy to use as a sposie and then i brought pocket diapers. i never expected them to do anything with the inserts or poo. i just told them to toss them into the wet bag and i'd deal with it.

even if you can't get the daycare to use cloth or if you decide you don't want to deal with it (which is understandable...either getting enough dipes for the week or washing them every night/every other night), doing cloth at night and on the weekends it awesome!

good luck

tarahsolazy
11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
My DS was CD'd full time from birth, and didn't start daycare until age 2. We tried to mix the two, but found that we had such small diaper loads, like 2 dipes a day, that I've switched to all sposies for now. His DC would do CDs, but its a matter of my training all the providers, and I've been lazy. I figure a few months of sposies in 3 years ain't too bad. If my guy doesn't potty train before his sib arrives in the spring, we'll go back to CDs at home, since I'll be doing daily dipe laundry anyway.