PDA

View Full Version : How many disposable diapers?

theloo
11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I am trying to get a handle on how many diapers I will *realistically* need the first few months. I have 120 newborns (up to 10#) and about 600 size 1s (8-14#). Does that sound reasonable? Any tips on after that???

mldflygirl
11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
It's hard to say. I definitely wouldn't buy any more at this point.

Some very large babies don't fit into the NB size at all. DS wore them for almost 3 weeks. At 10-12 diapers per day, that would have been 70-84 diapers per week. BUT, we found that only Pampers Swaddlers fit him properly & worked best.

I don't remember how long he wore size 1, but I know it was at least a month and a half... But again, we found that certain brands worked much better than others.

JBaxter
11-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Dont open the newborns. I only used 3/4 a bag. Nathan peed out the top so I switched to the size one huggies ( pampers had to many blow outs). I personally would not bulk buy until you know what diapers work for you. Some diapers fit different , smell different , cause rashes and leak.

I went from Huggies size 1's to pampers crusiers ( older style) back to huggies then to cloth. It sucks to have a bunch of diapers that dont hold what you need held.

KrisM
11-09-2006, 08:15 PM
DS wore newborn size for about 3 days. We didn't make it through a small package. He could have easily skipped them. DD probably could have worn them for a couple of weeks? We CD, so I don't really know.

But, I'd keep receipts in case you have a big baby who doesn't need the newborn size or in case the brand you bought don't work well.

Jenny_A
11-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Don't buy ahead!! You just don't know how fast your child is going to grow and you'll be stuck with lots of extra diapers. I made that mistake and had to give them away. Just save your money and buy as you go or maybe 1 or 2 packages ahead.

Jenny :-)

Mom to Caroline - 9 months

katiesmommy
11-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I definitly wouldn't buy more at this point, not until you know if they will even work for you or not. I'm on the other side of the spectrum here, DD wore NB's for the first two months of her life, realistically she probably could have worn preemies for the first two week. She actually has yet to have outgrown a diaper size before I've moved her up. She starts leaking through and that's when I switch.

Momof3Labs
11-09-2006, 10:45 PM
My one package of 48 newborn dipes has lasted through TWO babies now, and there are enough left for a third, if we go there! I don't have huge babies - about 8lbs each - the newborn dipes just leak too much for us.

Keep all your receipts on the size 1 dipes as they may not be the brand that fits your baby well - most people have a strong brand preference at that age (when poops are particularly frequent and runny)!

elephantmeg
11-09-2006, 10:46 PM
if you're having a boy, my experience is that they will flood every newborn diaper and cause you to wash more clothes than you thought you owned! Going to cloth diapers was such a relief (I wanted to wait until I could do laundry again myself-I was banned for 2 wks after a c-section by my midwife...)

MommyAllison
11-10-2006, 12:13 AM
We used 3 packages of newborn dipes - maybe 80ish total? Then used 2 boxes of size 1/2 from Costco - that was probably about 450 dipes. We had a third box of 1-2 that MIL *insisted* on buying, we returned that one to Costco. I'd agree with the PP that only buy ahead if its somewhere like Costco with an indefinite, wonderful return policy. You will find a brand preference most likely - I couldn't find any brand that contained leaks or blowouts so we switched to cloth. GL!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

robinsonbn
11-11-2006, 03:13 PM
After 6 weeks we have been using Huggies NB and Size 1. DS weighed in at 9lbs 8 oz yesterday and was born at 7lbs 2 oz. He can actually still wear Newborns. I am not sure why I think because he is long and skinny. All babies are different but thus far we have used about >300 diapers. Hope that helps.

pastrygirl
11-11-2006, 04:29 PM
My son wore newborns for about a week, and size 1 for maybe three weeks, size 2 for a month, size 3 for a month, and has been wearing size 4 since then (he's 5 months old). Definitely don't buy ahead! I ended up taking all my unused diapers to the local pregnancy center. Tons.

Oh, I also went through 5 brands before I found one that didn't leak. (Ended up with Pampers Swaddlers/Cruisers.)

brittone2
11-11-2006, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't buy anymore either. I don't remember how long my DS wore newborn dipes to be honest. However, we thought we'd use pampers swaddlers and they didn't fit my DS well at ALL. They always seemed to get all twisted and contorted on him. We switched to Huggies (which at the time had wider velcro tabs) than the Swaddlers, and the fit was much, much better for him (and then we switched to cloth by 2.5-3 weeks, which we weren't originally planning on LOL).

lizajane
11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
neither of my kids wore newborns and size 1 lasted maybe 4 weeks? we CD, but when we had to use sposies...

i would not buy anymore until you find out what brand works for you.

but a general rule of thumb is 10 dipes/day. schuyler needed 12 many days, dylan needed only 8 many days. depends on the kiddo.

denna
11-13-2006, 03:59 AM
DS wore newborns for at least 2-3 weeks. He only fit in the Swaddlers; the Huggies Newborn's we were given at the hospital (and also as a gift at the shower) were HUGE on DS and leaked CONSTANTLY. We have been Pampers fans ever since. DS wore size 1 for a couple of months, and has been in Cruisers ever since. I would wait and see what works for you.

HTH

Denna

ajmom
11-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I agree that you shouldn't buy more right now. You can plan to go through about 10-12 diapers a day the first few weeks. My DD is 3 wks. old and that's about what we go through. She's also still in NB @ about 8 lbs (born @ 7lb. 4 oz.). If you plan to breastfeed, you'll go through ALOT of diapers- your baby will have several poops a day. I don't know about FF babies...