PDA

View Full Version : Reader Poll: Cloth Diapering

alandenisefields
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi folks! Just like we promised, here's our CDing Poll Similar to the disposable questions, here's what we're looking for:

1. What's your favorite brand of cloth diapers?
2. Do you use different products for different situations?
2. Any cloth diapers that did NOT work for you?
3. Where do you find the best deals on cloth diapers?

Feel free to name names, brands, stores, web sites, etc.!

Thanks in advance!

Alan & Denise Fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

o_mom
12-05-2006, 02:24 PM
>1. What's your favorite brand of cloth diapers?

If I had to pick just one, probably FuzziBunz. With the latest price increases, though, I'm not sure of the value.

Fitteds - I really like Motherease Sandys.

Prefolds - I loved WeeBees EU prefolds, but it looks like they are out of business.

Covers - Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, Imse Vimse Bumpy Wool covers

>2. Do you use different products for different situations?

Yes. Wool and/or Hemp at night, prefolds almost always on newborns, FuzziBunz for sitters/grandparents.

>2. Any cloth diapers that did NOT work for you?

The diapers mainly worked. I didn't use fitteds as much for a newborn as I thought I would.

Covers - Nikki and Niji never fit my kids right. They were always the wrong shape.

>3. Where do you find the best deals on cloth diapers?

It varies widely. The only true deals I have found have been on used diapers from local moms. I just figure I will save lots of money using them for three kids and then selling them at the end. You may want to update your cost comparison to account for the fact that the biggest savings comes from the second child. I probably broke even or saved a little on the first child, but the second one has been diapered for basically the cost of laundry.

tarynsmum
12-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Daisy Doodles, hands down. They're very trim (so I don't have to size up in pants), come in super cute patterns and colors, and the AI2 system makes it more economical (you can use the same outer 2 or 3 times and just change the insert). I also LOVE how they are "high cut", sort of bikini-style, which works great with my DD's chunky thighs.

We do fitteds sometimes, mostly for sleeping-related times ;). We gave up pockets quite a while ago, because the PUL was against her skin, and DD was breaking out (VERY sensitive skin). Oh, yeah, and we use prefolds... for everything BUT as diapers :P It's mostly AIO or AI2s.

I know I'll probably be the voice of dissent... We hated Fuzzibunz. The layout of the snaps totally didn't work for DD. The PUL made her break out (although the PUL in our Daisy Doodles doesn't... or our other AIOs...). Oh, and I started with Happy Heinys, but sold them all off because I HATED the applix (velcro). And DD learned how to take it off. At 6 months. Buh-Bye!

For our Daisy Doodles, we go through the Yahoo group (there's a link on her website). I've never had any problems doing that. I did a bunch of trades on diaperswappers, mostly fitteds for longies (that I made), and they mostly all went OK. I got some good things that way. I don't think I have many new dipes, mostly all were either gifted (a friend had a boy and a box full of girly AIOs...) or on trades.

Yay! Is there going to be more about cloth diapers in the next Baby Bargains? AWESOME! Now all ya'll need is more babywearing!

mudder17
12-05-2006, 08:31 PM
It definitely depends on the age. For the newborn stage, I love the Bijou Baby Gear Diapers. They are fairly trim, but they are nice and absorbent. Kissaluv 0s are also pretty good, but not nearly as absorbent. The seconds are inexpensive, though, and work pretty well for a newborn who is changed very often anyway. My K0 seconds have now been used by 7 babies and the elastic on some of them is finally starting to wear down.

For an older baby and heavy wetter, my favorite two are the Bijou Baby Gear and the Mom and Me Sam's Fitted. PUL pockets did not work well for us because the PUL was not breathable enough.

For covers, my favorites are either the windopro fleece or stretch wool Angeldry covers. For a particularly heavy wetter at night, the Aristocrat wool covers are virtually bombproof.

Prefolds are an excellent, inexpensive option for almost all situations. They aren't particularly great for heavy wetters or wiggly toddlers. For those situations, I prefer fitted with a cover or a fleece pocket (breathable option). For my heavy wetter, hemp is a necessity. With DD#2, our favorite cover has been the nylon Especially for Baby pull-on pants. We also love the Snap-EZ snap-on nylon covers. For night time, I love the Angeldry and Threaded Branch fitted diapers. Very Baby Simply Nights are also very good.

>3. Any cloth diapers that did NOT work for you?
Fuzzi Bunz never fit our daughter very well. The Snap-EZ pockets fit wonderfully. We still use the fleece pockets (Snap-EZ), but of course, do not use the PUL pockets. FTR, PUL covers did work when my DD#1 was young because she was being changed so often.

>4. Where do you find the best deals on cloth diapers?
The ones that are my favorite are WAHM made diapers, so for the most part, I get them directly from the WAHM. The exception are the Very Baby Simply Nights, which are made by quite a few WAHMs. My favorites are the ones made by Tallulah Baby.

eta: I've recently gotten some BumGenius Bamboo Fitted (small) and they fit beautifully on my 10.5 pounder. It started fitting her at <9 pounds and will probably fit her for a few months. I love them and look forward to seeing how well they hold up.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 33 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

KrisM
12-05-2006, 09:16 PM
1. My favorite cloth is prefolds. I used Chinese prefolds on my oldest until he started PTing at 2.5. I am now using them on the baby. They're inexpensive, fit varying shapes and sizes of babies, and are pretty simple to use.

For covers, I really liked Bumpy on my son, but so far they don't work well on my daughter. I think the Bummi work better for her.

2. Once my kids are a bit older, I do use different things. For night, I like pockets - Fuzzibunz. For outings when I need something a little faster to put on, I like all-in-ones or even fitteds. But, 99% of the time, prefolds are it.

3. This is harder for me to answer. I have tried a few fitteds, etc., but they go in and out depending on the baby's shape at the time.

4. Online, of course. I prefer naturalbabies.com, softclothbunz.com, and lilbunz.com.

Puddy73
12-06-2006, 12:30 PM
>
It's really hard to pick one, but I'd have to say AngelDry. I love the stretch wool covers, fitteds and AIOs.

Yes. Fitteds and covers worked best when DC were small, then we switched to AIOs or pockets when they became mobile and wiggly. We still use fitteds and covers at night.

I'm not a fan of Fuzzi-Bunz. They weren't a good fit on either DC and the fleece seemed to pill very quickly.

Naturalbabies.com or lilbunz.com are good sites for general supplies, but its hard to do a direct comparison of WAHM diapers since they are all unique.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

MommyAllison
12-06-2006, 06:05 PM

Fitteds: Krunchy Kids (www.hyenacart.com/krunchykids) are super absorbant (best I've found for my heavy wetter) and very reasonably priced - and cute! BijouBabyGear (www.bijoubabygear.com) and SugarPlumBaby (http://hyenacart.com/SugarPlumBaby/) are other good ones for us. The trimmest fitteds I've found are GirlWomanGoddess (www.gwgcreations.com).

Covers: We use Luxe wool pull on covers exclusively (www.hyenacart.com/luxebaby) and love them. They are very trim under clothing and are bulletproof when well lanolized.

Yes, Fuzzibunz at night and in the church nursery. We add a wool doubler when DD is being worn in the MeiTai for naps or on a long car ride. At home in the summer she often wears a fitted dipe without a cover.

We have a love-hate relationship with Fuzzibunz. They don't fit my DD perfectly, so she has to wear wool over the FB to prevent nighttime leaks on the sheets (we co-sleep). As soon as I can get my hands on some Marathon pockets (www.olivebranchbaby.com) the FB are being retired. The lovely thing about cloth diapers is that there are a hundred designs that fit differently, so there's a great diaper out there for every baby. The hard thing is that it can take awhile to find "THE" diaper for your child.

For Sale or Trade/Swap boards. The covers I use are quite pricey so I buy them on FSOT. Diapers I like are more reasonably priced, though buying used is a great way to start CDing for a minimal investment.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

JBaxter
12-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Favorite fitted diapers were cuddlebuns bikini cut and very baby front snaping.
Favorite pocket diaper was fuzzi buns

Least favorite was Daisy Doodles they leaked/wicked every time.

tarynsmum
12-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Really? We've never had a leaking problem (had some wicking issues, but I just re-waterproofed them, since they were new-to-me, and they've been great ever since)

mudder17
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Allison, are the Krunchy Kids fitted diapers or what? How often does she stock?

Those luxebaby covers look really great, but you're right--they're definitely pricey. Which FSOT do you find them on? Diaperswappers? BBBSwap? Diaperswap2?

Eileen

holliam
12-07-2006, 10:31 AM

All-in-ones: Girl Woman Goddess from a WAHM: http://www.girlwomangoddess.com I tried AIOs from 1-2 DOZEN places and these are by far the best ever. Super trim AND absorbent, which is particularly important as child gets older and holds bladder longer. They are as trim as Daisy Doodles yet about 2x more absorbent. We had to stop using Daisy Doodles when DD was about 18 months.

Wool covers: Bizzy B Hive: http://www.bizzybhive.com for beautiful and functional! Nightime we use Celtic Wolf: http://www.celticwoolcreations.com/

Fitted Diapers: Our favorite WAHMs ones are from Bizzy B Hive and Mudpie Diapers: http://www.mudpiediapers.com

Nightime Diapers: pocket hemp diapers like Lullaby Diapers: http://www.lullabydiapers.com or http://www.fluffymail.com

Yes, we use fitted pockets that we can stuff at nightime with tough nightime wool covers.

In the summer, we prefer fitteds and wool for breathability.

In the winter, we prefer AIOs for trimness and ease of changing when have lots of other clothes on.

Babies shape has a lot to do with what will work. My daughter had really chunking thighs and a small waist. Not a single diaper that snapped in the front worked. I had to exclusively use side-snapping that were able to have different settings for waist and thighs.

I can't handle the challenge of prefolds. Fuzzibunz did not fit right.

I'm not a frugal diapering mama. I like high-quality WAHM-made ones. Hyena Cart: http://www.hyenacart.com is like a one-stop shopping zone for tons of WAHMs. Great place to start.

katydid1971
12-07-2006, 12:47 PM
I have tried lots of pocket diapers and have liked almost all of them. Ellaroos, Fuzzibunz, Happy Heinies, swaddlebees, drybees all have worked well for us. I use mostly fuzzibunz, they fit my skinny son teh best. I have just ordered the new bumgenious 2.0 because of all the great reviews and I'm looking forward to getting them.

I use to use Benjamuffins at night with a wool artisocrat cover and they worked great, recently ds has stopped wetting at night so I'm just using a pocket diaper.

I bought a little lamb from ebay really cheap and they were terrible!!!! I also had bad luck with wonderworks which were hard to adjust to fit well and the elastic quickly wore out. I understand that company isn't making diapers anymore.

I am the queen of late night internet shopping. Almost all the different sites have the same prices, its a matter of saving on shipping. thefuzzibunzstore.com does have sales on fuzzibunz ocasionally so it's good to check them out. I have received excellent service from everyone online I have delt with. I have had a problem with one wahm who takes FOREVER to get her diapers out but they are so good it's worth the almost 3 month wait.

I have to say when I read your book it felt like you really thought poorly of cding (my one complaint about your book). I have cd'd from birth 'till now and now my SIL is going to do the same. I know I have saved money and will be way ahead when dc #2 reuses these diapers. I hope in future books you have a more positive spin on cding.
Sarah

JBaxter
12-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I re waterproofed at least 3 times did all the recommended things used only the daisy doodle inserts and it wicked through every time. I quit trying and tossed the thing the inserts I used for other diapers ( I liked those)

mldflygirl
12-07-2006, 03:05 PM
I didn't start cloth diapering until DS was almost 4 months old, so my answers aren't based on cloth diapering a newborn.

My favorite STYLE is pocket diapers. Favorite BRAND is BumGenius one-size pocket diapers or Snap-EZ. The bumGenius diapers are relatively trim, hold a lot of liquid, held in runny breastfed poo, and are adjustable in size. The elastic is good & stretchy too. Snap-EZ diapers are well made and have a nice range of sizes (such as "chubby medium" & "skinny large").

Yes. I use prefolds & covers at least 1/2 the time around the house so that I didn't have to buy as many of the pocket diapers. I use pocket diapers outside of the home or to go for longer time periods between diaper changes. DH will only use pocket diapers. I use disposables at night for a couple of reasons: 1) we were given LOTS of sleepers for DS, and a thick cloth diaper wouldn't fit under a lot of them. I hated the idea of him never wearing those sleepers, when they fit just fine (for another 2 months!) with a disposable diaper! 2) I didn't like the thought of trying to figure out how to prevent leaks overnight, because he's a heavy wetter. The best cloth solutions are pricey. It's cheaper to buy 1 pack of 35 or 40 disposables for $7 w/coupon & use those for the month.

I learned after measuring DS & comparing the measurements to various brands online that DS has a short rise & very chubby thighs. I avoided brands that didn't sound like they'd fit right. He can wear Fuzzibunz, but they come up pretty high on his waist. Anything cut like Happy Heinys are usually too small in the thigh. Very Baby diapers worked GREAT for a couple of months, but DS's thighs have started to outgrow them just recently.

Buying them used on a message board, such as Diaperswappers. I also bought a couple bumGenius diapers when a lot of stores had them on sale due to the new design coming out. And a number of stores offer "seconds" or old styles at a reduced price.

ONE NOTE:
I agree with a previous poster - I didn't think you fully discussed the option of cloth diapers in your book. Using cloth can save a LOT of money - especially for people who have 2 or more children (or those who have 4 or 5 or more!) and will re-use them, or for those who use prefolds and covers.

In my case, I've spent on cloth what I would have spent for 4 months of disposables (after factoring in that I use disposables at night). Even including increased utilities (which hasn't been much, by the way), I will break even in about a month. Everything after that is a savings compared to disposables. And my son is only 7 months old. I anticipate buying a *few* more cloth diapers & covers down the line, but not very many. I have 3 days worth of diapers on hand, and I wash them once every other evening. In my opinion, that isn't a lot of excess effort or trouble compared to the money I'll be saving. :)

MommyAllison
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
As I was typing about Krunchy kids I thought, I bet Eileen would like these dipes too! :) They are fitteds, and she should be stocking soon, she said. I think before Christmas? I can post here when I see previews go up, if you'd like. Her prices really are super reasonable, $10 for smalls, $12 for mediums, etc. though that doesn't include shipping. They aren't the trimmest, but they are worth it for the absorbancy. I should post a pic of DD in hers.

I find the Luxes come up often on Hyenacart's FSOT board. I usually pay $24-28ppd for them in EUC. HTH!

ETA: I think KK usually stocks 2-3 times a month.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

mudder17
12-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Allison. Yes let me know. I'm about to try BumGenius' Bamboo Terry Dipe. I'll let you know how they work.

Eileen

todzwife
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
1. What's your favorite brand of cloth diapers? Depends on the "type"
AIO's- I really love bumgenious for mass produced (www.cottonbabies.com) and
lullabydiapers for WAHM. www.lullabydiapers.com
Yes, I tend to grab AIO's for out and about, pockets for night time, fitteds or prefolds when she needs some air.
2. Any cloth diapers that did NOT work for you? Kushies AIO's. They are crap.
I love to order from www.abbyslane.com or www.naturalbabies.com if Abbyslane doesn't have what I'm looking for.

squimp
12-11-2006, 01:27 PM
First I think you should emphasize that cloth diapers are a completely different animal from many baby products. Good brands are not widely available, and unlike disposables, there are few kingpins (a la Pampers, Huggies, etc.) that everyone buys. Fit seems to be a much bigger concern with CDs than with disposables. And there's all kinds of lingo (PUL, pockets, wraps, AIOs) that can make your head spin. Much of the buying and selling of CDs happens on line, sometimes from very small companies (like one mama and her sewing machine). So folks really do have to seek out others in real life or on boards like these (and mothering.com) to find what works best. Parents may need to seek out small boutiques that might sell CDs in order to see them IRL.

What's your favorite brand of cloth diapers?
For 0-4 months, I used prefolds and a polyurethane lined cover, usually Proraps. Simple and easy to wash.
For 4 months until potty learning we used Fuzzi Buns pocket diapers with a microfiber liner. Snap-EZ diapers were also very nice.

Do you use different products for different situations?
For nighttime, we used double inserts in the early days and disposables as she grew. We couldn't find a nighttime solution that worked, and I didn't want to spend a fortune trying.

Any cloth diapers that did NOT work for you?
We didn't like Kissaluvs (poor absorbency). Bumkins wraps leaked on us.

Where do you find the best deals on cloth diapers?
It really varies over time. I check these boards to see the best deals. Cottonbabies usually gave me the best prices on Fuzzibuns, and often gave us a free microfiber insert. Buying in lots of 12 helps, once you find out what works.

tarynsmum
12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, we use our insert in a lot of other things too (like cuddlebunz... I love them, but they aren't very absorbant without something else in there!)

kitmama
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
- I'd say prefolds. They are the epitome of economy, they can fit any baby shape, they wash and dry very simply, have endless other uses and they are not that hard to master. That said, if money were no object I'd probably use all pocket diapers- our favorites to date are Drybees.

- Absolutely:
* around the house- mostly prefolds with fleece or wool covers (special nod to Sugarpeas fleece covers and Simon's Custom Cloth wool wrap covers)
* out and about- fitteds with Bummis covers and pockets (especially Sugarbums and El Bee Baby fitteds, and Drybees pockets)
* at night- hemp diapers (especially Benjamuffins Nightdreamers and Very Baby Simply Nights) with an Aristocrat wool cover (definitely a fave)
* newborns- prefolds and Kissaluvs size 0 with Proraps, Bumpy and fleece covers

- Bumkins covers & Sugarpeas size 2 fitteds. Products that worked somewhat but I wouldn't buy again include Lucy's Hope Chest AIOs (really any AIO), Stacinator 2-layer fleece covers (way too bulky), Firefly Sleeptights (elastic wore out double-quick), and I'm sure there are more I don't remember.

- Here! And price comparing on various websites. That's for new diapers- but most of mine are used, which is how to score a real deal.

I am so glad there will be more information about CDs in your book.

jeniferrlynne
12-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Chinese/Indian Prefolds and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap Cover. Basically due to cost and ease of care/maintenance.
Though I think I am really liking the new bumgenius 2.0.

2. Do you use different products for different situations?Yes

Newborn - 3months We used Chinese prefolds, snappis and prorap covers (Afraid to use pockets that early with the breast fed poo).
4ish+ months - We used prefolds with a mixture covers (BummisSWW, Bumpys, Motherease Airflow)with Bummis Super Whisper as our favorite.
We started pockets at night around then when he started to sleep at least 8hours. Prefolds and cover during the day. White Cloud Disposable away from home.
Didn't try many varieties since the widly available prefolds and fuzzibunz worked for us. A used Happy Hieny leaked, so I never tried more.
I love Granitesmith on ebay. I think this link will work -

http://stores.ebay.com/Granitesmiths-Diaper-Store_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

She has good deals on prefolds/proraps. Other than that I got used fuzzibunz from
www.diaperswappers.com

I have been very satisfied with my choice to go cloth and so has my son's buns, my pocketbook, and the earth!

elephantmeg
12-14-2006, 06:34 PM
>Hi folks! Just like we promised, here's our CDing Poll
>Similar to the disposable questions, here's what we're looking
>for:
>
>
Unbleached indian prefolds from granitesmith with BSWW or prowrap covers and bumgeniouses

yes, I use mainly prefolds and covers, DH uses BG and we both use BG out and about and if DS is particuarily wiggly

>
>
>Feel free to name names, brands, stores, web sites, etc.!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Alan & Denise Fields
>authors, BABY BARGAINS

lizajane
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM

Sugarpeas fitteds (size 1) for my kids under 6-8 months. Snap-ez pockets for my kids when over 6-8 months. (i didn't like the snap-ez size medium, but i LOVE the large.) i use inserts for my pocket diapers that i designed myself.

i started with all prefolds and proraps PUL covers and pockets-fuzzibunz- at night. mostly pockets when out, but it didn't matter to me too much (pockets vs. fitteds/cover vs prefold.)

litewrap/snappi wrap. wicked like crazy. (they are covers.) the rise on the kissaluvs was too long for my tall babies and i had to use doublers because they weren't absorbant enough for my 9.5lb babies.

i usually google what i want and shop around. but i usually shop from naturalbabies.com when i want something they carry.
>
>
>Feel free to name names, brands, stores, web sites, etc.!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Alan & Denise Fields
>authors, BABY BARGAINS

westgre
12-23-2006, 08:32 AM
We use only prefolds and flats. The flats are my favorites -- they're easy to wash and much faster drying!
Only night time. Lately we're using a premium prefold with a hemp doubler, and a wool cover for nights.
Fuzzi Bunz leaked on both my kids.
3. Where do you find the best deals on cloth diapers? I've paid great prices on diapers through co-ops on both diaperpin.com and diaperswappers.com. I love Nicki's (nickisdiapers.com) for covers -- no shipping!

quinnsmom
12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Pocket Diapers. My favorite is the now no longer made Wonderoos :( and Snap-ez windpro fleece pocket diapers. The Wonderoos were a great value because they are one-size. And I loved the suedecloth interior. The fit always worked well for us too. Snap-ez is expensive - but really worth it - especially for overnight.

Yes - Wonderoos pocket diapers for day, Snap-ez fleece diapers at night

Yes - pocket diapers with openings in the front. I eally liked the trimness of Swaddlebees pockets but they always leaked when my heavy wetter wore them!

I wait for coupons usually - I look on www.diaperpin.com in there Sales section to find them.

I truly love Montana's diaper Store. www.mtdiaperstore.com Kim has EXCELLENT/personal customer service - I am so impressed with her - she even called my house once to ask a question about my order. It is so hard to find that kind of CS in todays online world. And I always have great luck wth the products she sells.

Edited to Add 1/27/07
WOW - I just found my new FAVORITE cloth diaper!!! I have always avoided these diapers because I'm not a fan of Aplix - but I went ahead and ordered some a few weeks ago. BUM GENIUS 2.0 One Size Pocket Diapers! They are WONDERFUL!!!!! They are SO very trim. The PUL is super soft and I prefer the suedecloth to fleece. Suedecloth holds up better IMO - soesn't pil or look old like fleece does. And these fit my 4 month old perfectly and my 2 1/2 year old! What a smart investment!!!

jniter
01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I just wanted to update this. I got a few Imse Vimse Bumpy Day covers and those are now my favorite covers! They fit my baby really well, have an awesome design for the velcro, allowing more flexibility in how you secure it, and I haven't had one leak yet, even with a HUGE poopy. I mean...dripping off the bum poopy!

I still like proraps a lot, and they are a very affordable option.

My husband loves the bumgenius 2.0. He says the fit is far superior to the fuzzibunz. Heck, we just can't use the darned fuzzibunz because our little guy's tush is really narrow. I asked if he's like me to buy more of them (I just got one in a sampler), but he thinks they are too expensive. So they are awesome! But pricey!

DSQ prefolds
Snugglebottoms contours

For covers, I really like Proraps. good design and affordable. I have a potpurri of other covers and they have pros and cons. If I weigh their pros against the cost, I think proraps are a great value. You can also get 2nds directly from them for cheaper.

(I bought a bumkins All-in-one, fuzzibunz, and a bumgenius 2.0 for my hubby, but we honestly don't use them that often. No strong opinion, but I honestly think pockets are more trouble than they are worth. Either go cheap or all out with the AIOs!!)

Yes. We have a stock of disposables, so we use them at night. I tend to use the aforementioned pockets and AIOs for short outings. For long outings, I will use the disposables. We will probably transition to all cloth then we run out of disposables.

I do not like the bumkins diaper cover, even though I like their AIOs. the elastic for the leg gussets left marks. Don't know why I don't have that problem with the AIO!

I found a few used covers in baby/children resale shops. (BTW- you really ought to push people to find local resale shops!! Cheap way to get a nicer outfit for special occasions if you don't have the patience for garage sales.)

I have shopped on numerous websites. Most of the prices were very comparable. The key is to figure out which retailer has ALL of what you want to try/buy and what is the minimum purchase amount for free shipping. Also, some have registries, so you might be able to get some stuff for gifts. I got some of my CD stuff by registering at amazon.com.

Now that I have a better idea of what I want to use as my baby grows, I will probably look more carefully for used items through swaps and craigslist.

Suggestion - include a section or description of CD supplies like liners, doublers, diaper pail bags (a lot of people use ones you can just put in the wash with the diapers), cloth wipes, etc. I like fleece liners...soft against the baby's bum and keeps it drier to reduce diaper rash.

Here are some websites I got a lot of info from:

www.diaperpin.com
www.tinytots.com
http://diaperpages.com/index.php

jniter
01-28-2007, 11:43 PM
huh...thought I should mention some websites I've bought things from

www.kidbean.com
www.babybunz.com
www.cottonbabies.com
www.babybecause.com
www.amazon.com (some smaller retailers sell stuff through their site)

Might want to mention that there are a lot of WAHMs that make good products. CD really gives you WAY too many options...it can take a while to figure out a system that works for you. I thought I had researched CDing a lot before our son was born, but I still wasn't prepared!

CDmamao3
01-31-2007, 12:48 AM
1. Favorite -Bum Genius 2.0
2. yes- I use something with fleece for poops and prefolds or fitteds at night because my kid is a side sleeper and All in ones on the road. I like fitted diapers best for newborns and all in ones for toddlers
2. Swaddlebee pocket diapers don't last for more than 1/2 hour. Snapez all in ones didn't work for us more than an hour and all together diaper fits terrible and is crunchy.
3. Best deals on froogle and sometimes on diaperdeals.com or search going out of business and cloth diapers on google. I have a favorite shop though-- http://www.AngelBunz.com because I got some great stuff in the bargain bin section, and the package deals almost always ship free.

amaryl02
02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I do hope this means you'll give cloth diapering more of a chance in your next edition. It has been one of the top 3 money savers in our years of parenting so far. (The other two have been breastfeeding and shopping around very carefully for health insurance.
Of course, staying away from malls doesn't hurt either--ha!)

1) What's your favorite brand of cloth diapers?
Favorite of my husband and parents--fitteds, like Kissaluvs. (Use a doubler)
I also like Chinese or Indian prefolds, which are more economical.
Favorite cover: Bummi Super Whisper Wraps (more expensive)
Cover we actually use most: Proraps, inexpensive and long-lasting.

2) Yes. At night I put two doublers in a Kissaluvs, and use a fleece cover or a wool cover. I don't use fitteds at night.
For long outings, we use disposables.

3) I don't have the patience to stuff pocket diapers. With the fitteds I just slap a doubler on top. I know a lot of people really love pockets, though. The cheap prefolds sold at Babies R Us and other outlets, like Gerber brand, are not good for actual diapering in my opinion. Their use is pretty limited to burpcloths and cleanup duties.

4) Before buying in bulk, I like to try just a couple of any new kind first from a Swap site like the Yahoo groups Diaperswap site. I almost always buy used from other moms, either on a swap site or from craigslist or maybe even ebay. Kissaluvs has an outlet store for seconds, as well. I also swap/buy from local moms.

ecoria
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM

i love www.sweetbottomcreek.com for fitteds and AIOs, they are super absorbant and rather trim for as much as they hold. right now i'm on a pocket kick and find www.middleearthdiaper.com to be my "goto" place.

absolutely. we use pockets or AIOs when out and about, fitteds and wool when home just vegging. we will be using fitteds and wool in the summer too with some pockets thrown in.

we used prefolds in the very beginning, but im just not the pinning/snappi'ing kind of girl.

www.diaperswappers.com their for sale or trade forum has the best deals, or ebay.