PDA

View Full Version : bacteria in diapers

katydid1971
12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I read somewhere (now I can't find where) that smell in diapers could be caused by bacteria in the diapers. I have stripped my diapers (17 rinse cycles) but I still have smell. The thing I read said to sun the diapers (can't its winter in Oregon) or use Oxyclean. Knowing I have already had a problem with build up in my diapers I was wondering about using the oxyclean. Has anyone done this? How much do you use? Is build up a problem? When do you use it (in the presoak or in the regular wash with the other detergent). Thanks for your help with this.
Sarah
PS I have recently changed to sportswash so hopefully no more build up.

Momof3Labs
12-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Smell can also be from too little detergent, and stripping wouldn't help that. You can try a little diluted bleach to kick the smell and give you a clean start.

katydid1971
12-07-2006, 09:34 PM
How much bleach?!?!?! I am very afraid of using bleach because all of my diapers say not to use bleach?!?!? In a full load (3 days worth of diapers) how much bleach would you put in? Thanks!!
Sarah

Momof3Labs
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I've never had a problem, and we use all kinds of dipes - FBs, fitteds, Bumpy covers, etc. I use maybe a 1/4 cup. If you have a top loader, fill it all the way with water (with the dipes in it) and then add the bleach. Just don't pour it directly on the dipes.