PDA

View Full Version : Need Diaper Leaking Advice - tried all I can think of

ilovetivo
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I've gone up a size, tried many different brands/types. Not sure what to do. DD is in size 5 now at 29 1/2 lbs. She only leaks thru her legs and when sitting in the car seat or in her high chair. Not sure if it's when she sits on the floor b/c that's a shorter time period. I haven't noticed in the stroller, but I wouldn't be suprised if she has.

When it's happened before, we just go up a size. Sometimes we just need to switch from Huggies Supreme to Pampers Cruisers and vice versa. Then she's fine for months. We do Huggies Overnights size 5 at night w/ no problems.

This time, she was in H. Supreme size 4. Went up a size to 5. Didn't work. So changed to Cruisers 5. Then I tried all the diapers below.

Pampers Baby Dry
Huggies Supreme natural fit
Huggies regular
Luvs

All leak thru her legs. I think Luvs is better than the others but not sure.

Does she need to go up to size 6? We also, from day 1, have been pulling the inside elastic out a little so it isn't tucked in and under her tush. Hope that make sense.

Thanks!!!

megs4413
12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
my DD is not quite 30lbs and is about 34" tall and she's in a size 4 cruiser. did you try sizing down in the cruisers? i would keep pulling the elastic out from under her tush (cause DD's legs get red if it's all bunched up back there) but my guess is she's got gapping at the legs. the cruisers are the best fit when that's happening. try fiddling with the fit. I have found that they work better for DD (who is quite tall and has a round belly) when they're pulled up high in the back and a little low slung in the front. the fit is a lot like the swaddlers fit newborns. i don't do the velcro all the way around the waist (the big belly gets in the way!) i use the pictures as my "measuring stick" for how tight to adjust the fit around the waist and only go to the middle of the yellow square that's next to the Elmo in the middle of the Cruiser (did that make sense? i wish i had an illustration!).

i would try sizing down in the cruisers and pulling it up in the back so it's high on her hips and low on her belly to get a snug fit around the thighs....i hope that works for you! otherwise...i'm out of ideas! this was the only solution that worked for us!!!!

ilovetivo
12-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your advice! I'll try that for sure. We do still have size 4 Huggies Supreme and that's what leaked in the first place (after months of being ok). She complains they're uncomfortable now too. I wonder if the Cruisers are bigger. I'll get some today. Thanks!!!

PS I feel like it's too late to start cloth diapering. And i'm hoping she'll potty train soon. She knows when she's about to go poop or pee and sits on the potty w/ her clothes on. She's peed on it once recently and pooped on it a while ago.

MarisaSF
12-09-2006, 07:32 PM
>my DD is not quite 30lbs and is about 34" tall and she's in a
>size 4 cruiser.

Same here, except I think my DD is a little taller (I honestly have no idea... oops). We're in a size 4 Cruisers.

ilovetivo
12-09-2006, 08:21 PM
my dd is 29 1/2 lbs and 33 1/2 inches

Momof3Labs
12-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Perhaps just get some cheap pull-up cloth diaper covers (about $6 each - I'm thinking of the Bummis pull-on covers; they can be washed with her regular clothes) to stop the leaks? I use cloth, but on the occasion that I put DS2 in a disposable, I usually throw one of these on over the disposable to keep the poop leaks at bay.

ilovetivo
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
interesting idea, thanks! it's just the pee that leaks right now.. but we haven't had any poop "blow outs" lately...quite the opposite

I was at WF yesterday and got the Seventh Gen and 365 diapers (size 4s) just to try them out.

Joolsplus2
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I use a thin jersey wool stacinator cover over my sposies, of course it costs a lot more than plastic pants, but they work really well to hold pee in place.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

wagner36
12-10-2006, 07:43 PM
I LOVE the seventh generation dipes. They have consistently been the best sposies for my kids. LOVE them. If we're somewhere and we have to buy a package of regular sposies, I'll use the few I have to and then give the rest of the package to my neighbor since the leaking is so bad otherwise.

I don't like the 365 ones, though, so try the Seventh Gen ones first!

megs4413
12-11-2006, 11:51 PM
just checking back to see what worked for you!

ilovetivo
12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Still trying - thanks for asking!

i had 1 leftover Cruisers 4 but she pooped in it too quick to see if it'd leak. need to get more.
7th Gen leaked - size 4
i think 365 leaked, but can't remember - size 4. Don't like them too much though
huggies supreme size 4 leaked
Luvs size 5 for leaked
huggies regular leaked size 5
huggies supreme natural fit size 5 leaked - can't find non-natural fit, they're not on the huggies website either

so need to get more cruisers and maybe some covers

thanks!!!

ilovetivo
12-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Where can I get them? thx!

ilovetivo
12-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Lori - where do you get Bummis? thx! (Hey! I finally got a Mac Quest - '06 pink fleur Mod :) Love it! )

Momof3Labs
12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
For covers, try www.abbyslane.com - they have free shipping over $25. They don't seem to carry Bummis pull-on covers, though. Anyone else have a suggestion for Bummis with free or cheap shipping?

Tondi G
12-14-2006, 02:23 PM
If you want the non natural fit higgies supreme you will have to buy the Kirkland diapers at Costco! Thats essentially what they are the older style of supremes! We love them!

ilovetivo
12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Are they made by Huggies? Interesting!

We tried the size 4 Cruisers yesterday and they leaked worse than any of them.

Trying Rompers by Playskool now and so far so good

Tondi G
12-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Yes they are made by Huggies... well Kimberly Clark for Costco! They work great for us!

ilovetivo
12-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Rompers are the best so far, but still leak. I didn't get the diaper covers yet or try Costco's.