PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Covers help

psophia17
12-12-2006, 12:01 PM
DS2 is in PFs (which I'm surprised to find that I LOVE) or MEOS, and I've only got a few Nikki wraps to go with them, which I hate. Plus I don't think they're helping his rashy issue, so I'm looking for something else. I have wool, so I could knit him some wraps and things, but finding time is impossible just now, so I'm thinking buying some fleece...what fleece covers out there are good and not too expensive?

Other than being rash-friendly and not being expensive, I'm not picky at all about what to get...

Because of the rashy thing (and since he's sleeping 4-5 hours at a stretch) I am putting him in CDs during the day and in sposies at night, along with a nice coat of Aveeno Diaper Ointment - is this ointment safe for fleece? I've tried a couple (a store brand and Desitin), and I know the Desitin isn't safe for fleece...what other ointments are safe for fleece?

KrisM
12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I haven't tried them, but have gotten recommendations for Angel Dry fleece in the past.

I've use Sugarpea and those are good, but I'm not sure I'd do it for a newborn. Also, skip Loveybums. They're nice, but don't go over prefolds well.

Have you tried putting microfleece on the prefold to keep him a bit drier?

psophia17
12-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I'll look into Angeldry - I think that's also what Eileen (mudder17) likes to use...

I love how SPs fit on DS1, so that's a road I'd be willing to go down. DS2 is shaped differently in the legs, but he's got a big belly just the same, so hopefully if I got SPs for him they'd fit for a while. He's a big boy already, in meds, so I'd hopefully get a fair bit of use out of any covers I did get...

I put microfleece in his CDs a bit a couple of weeks ago, and that's when his rash got really bad. After that, we went to sposies only for a week, which didn't help much at all until we got the Aveeno ointment. He's still in sposies overnight, and gets a nice red line around the top of each thigh with them, but it goes away during CD use during the day. I think he just lucked out with Mama's super-sensitive skin. In any case, I didn't want to try the microfleece again until after I figured out if the Aveeno ointment was okay with fleece. Hopefully someone here knows...?

MommyAllison
12-12-2006, 02:51 PM
We tried fleece covers from both Calico Baby and AngelDry Diapers (you're right, that is Eileen's favorite). They are quite different from each other - AngelDry is touchtape and will fit FOREVER, it is sized very generously. We had the lightweight fleece from her and it is very trim and thin - it was too lightweight for my heavy wetter. Calico Baby snaps, and is a thicker fleece that is not as generously sized. The Calico Baby covers are quite reasonable though, and shipping is free, IIRC. I don't know anything about Aveeno, sorry, but it sounds like maybe your DS2 has a sensitivity to fleece if it caused such a rash? I don't know if fleece as a cover works for kids who can't have fleece liners? HTH a bit

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

mudder17
12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Yep, we just started using the Angeldry fleece cover (small) with Mika and it works great. It is definitely sized generously and will fit her for some time before we need to move up to the mediums (although we have those as well). What's Riley doing in sizing these days? It turns out that so far, Mika's not quite as chunky as Kaya was, so the small swaddlebees, which would have fit Kaya at this stage, are still on the big side for her, at least around the thighs. Around the waist--no problem. Hmm...Petra, do you have any interlock wool? Maybe you could make yourself a simple wool wrap that wouldn't take as long to make as knitting a cover?

The other thing you could try is a nylon pull-on pants. Those have been working great for Mika.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 33 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

tarahsolazy
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I'd say AngelDry as well, cheap and effective.

For ointments, look for fish oils as ingredients, those are the ones that stain the worst. I like Triple paste the best, I feel like it works great and it doesn't stain. Its mostly just zinc oxide.

psophia17
12-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks Tarah :)

I thought the issue with ointment was that it could make fleece repellent - is that wrong?

I'll be on the lookout for fish oils...

psophia17
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Riley has long skinny legs and arms, and he's just starting to chub up some...I don't think he'll chub out as much as Nathan did, though...

He's wearing a Nikki in Medium, and when I was looking around earlier it seemed as though he fell into the Med. category everywhere I looked. But he's got lots of growing room left in the one Bijou Baby Gear we have...it's so cute on him, and he's still on the tightest snap setting.

lizajane
12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
i have some windpro if you want to buy it off me to make some pants. i have navy and mint green. very yummy. had great plans to test some overs and never got around to it. so i am just going to attempt to find the time to make a few things for dylan (the only cover i have made so far with the windpro has been great! no leaks!) so i have more than i need.

psophia17
12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Your post reminded me that I have some WindPro kicking around someplace...if I get my act together and make some pants out of it, and they work, I may take you up on that offer - thanks!!