PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching to CD! Advice?

JoyNChrist
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd thought about CDing before Avery was born, but decided against it since nobody I know IRL does it, and I just didn't want to deal with learning that along with everything else that comes with a newborn. But now that I'm feeling a bit more confident in my parenting abilities (emphasis on the "bit" lol), I'm thinking that we might try to make the switch.

I'm just not sure how to get started. It's going to have to be a relatively easy process for DH to get on board (I think he's getting a little fed up with all my "hippie ideas" ;-) ). From the minimal research I've done, I think I like the idea of pocket diapers. The bumGenius brand sounds interesting to me, since it fits for so long.

I saw on this site - http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=91 - that I can get a bumGenius 2.0 with a free Cotton Babies microfiber insert for $17.95 plus free shipping. They have a pretty good return policy - "14 day money-back satisfaction guarantee! Try ONE diaper. Use it. Wash it. If you don't like it, for any reason, you're welcome to return it within that time frame for a full refund."

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me (but hey, what do I know?). Should I order one and try it out? Would that be a good place to start?

I'd also appreciate any other advice you have! TIA!

tylersmama
05-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Go for it! I never would have thought that I would be a CDing mama, but here I am. My mom got me 6 months of diaper service for my shower, and I really thought that I would switch to sposies when that was up. I found that I really liked CDing, so when my service was up, I bought my own, and it's been a breeze. We use prefolds and covers, just because that's what we were used to with the service, so I can't really comment on the bumGenius. I've read a lot of good things about them, though.

I have to say DH pleasantly surprised me. I really thought he would hate it, but he doesn't mind. I will say that he's not nearly as good at getting them on as I am, although he travels during the week, so he doesn't get as much practice.

I've gotten all my CD supplies from Nicki, and I've been really pleased with her service. I haven't had to return anything, but she has free shipping on most things, and she ships FAST. I recommend her! You might think about trying a sampler pack just to see what you like and don't like. Every diaper will fit a little differently, so it may take a little trial and error to find what works best for you.

Good luck!

wahlaworld
05-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Like the pp, I never thought I'd be into CDing, and I actually really enjoy it! And my DH also is way more supportive than I figured he would be.
My DD is 12 weeks old and we've mainly used a mixture of laid-in, tri-folded prefolds and fitteds, with Diaperaps and Bummis Super Whisper Wraps covers. DH likes the fitteds better - just a couple of snaps, then velcro on the cover and you're good to go.
We've just bought a few pockets and the next-size-up of fitteds, along with a couple one-size Wonder Wraps and one-size Ecobaby organic fitteds.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and try the Bum Genius, because it does sound really cool. For me, $18 would be too much to make it my staple diaper since at this age I am changing DD 8-10 times a day. You might like to try a few AIOs and then do a cheaper option for when you're at home, like the prefolds or fitteds. (We use the ones from clothdiaper.com, as they were recommended in last year's Baby Bargains and they are very affordable. We've been very happy with them.)
Before our recent purchases, we were getting by with 5 covers, and having to wash them every other day or so because the BF poo often gets on the cover when she's in a prefold.

Give it a shot! I started because a college friend who lives several states away emailed me about CDing, but I never saw anyone using them in person. I'm loving the fact that we've spent less than $400 so far, and have plenty of dipes/covers for the next 10-12 months, and should only have to buy a few more covers in the future. And the next kid will be diapered for free!

MommyAllison
05-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd say go for it, since you're interested! But, be aware that pockets aren't as leak/blowout proof as a two part system (prefold + cover or fitted + cover) so many people prefer to start pockets after poop is a little less explosive. :) nak now so can't type much, but feel free to ask questions!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

lizajane
05-05-2007, 08:31 PM
definitely try it!! i liked the bumgenius pretty well, but i have to admit they were not my fav. but my friend who only used bumgenius and prefolds loved them! if they leak out the legs, then we can talk again. :)

elephantmeg
05-07-2007, 12:43 PM
DH loves the bumgenious, they really go on like a disposible. My non-color bumgeniouses' velcro is dying but I see that you can get replacements on cottonbaby's site so maybe that's a problem they've fixed.

I talked DH into getting me 6 colors for mother's day last year :) lol.

jillc
05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Go for it!!

I used many different types of pocket diapers & other CDs with DD, and I ordered a few BumGenius 2.0s when DS was about 8 weeks old... they are hands down my new favorite! They have even held in all of the runny breastfed baby poops. ;)

I use them with the microfiber insert & it works well and is a trim fit. I have a handful of BG1.0s that I purchased on swap & I use a regular infant prefold to stuff them & still a trim fit & works great.

Hope this helps.
Jill