PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why I should switch to cloth diaper beside money saving.

kusumat
05-06-2007, 12:11 AM
My DD is 11 mos. We had used commercial diapers, i.e. Pampers, Huggies, and 7th Generation. Three weeks ago, I found out that the chemical in disposable diapers could cause dioxin(I know I should have read this board earlier). Therefore, I planned to switch to cloth diaper and already ordered some fitted ones and covers. The covers just arrived yesterday, but the fitted diapers have not.

Why I was waiting, I decided to try on Tushie(medium). I heard that it was the only brand which does not contain gel or toxic chemical. I just finished its first pack and love it! No rash or leak. Now I wonder why do I want to switch to the cloth one. It is so convenient! If the money is not the issue, would you stay with Tushies.

In a year, we are moving to NYC where we won't have our own washer/dryer. With one toddler and a newborn(we are planning to have a second baby now), I am not sure whether it will be a good idea to use the apartment's laundry facility. My husband will be busy with his training and I pretty much need to handle majority of housework. So, we are most likely going to use the disposable ones when we are there. Should I even try using the CDs with my DD now? Please let me know your thought.

o_mom
05-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I personally feel that cloth is better for the environment. I know that some people will say they are not, but I can't see how a set of diapers that has been used through two kids and now will be on a third is worse than all the oil used to make disposables along with the packaging, gas for shipping, etc. Additionally, it keeps waste out of landfills.

Anyway, a year is a long time. You could save a substantial amount of money and keep almost 1500 diapers out of the landfill just by replacing 4 per day with cloth. When you move, you could assess the situation and try it, or just sell your stash at that point if it wouldn't work.

katydid1971
05-06-2007, 10:36 AM
My pediatrician feels that cloth is much better for baby's skin and he compliments me on using them every visit, even two years later. Another thing lots of people don't talk about is the BMs in the landfill. They can leak into ground water. Cloth diaper BMs are treated at the water treatment plant. Plus you will be money ahead even if you only use them one year. If the diapers are in good shape you can get a large part of your original investment back by selling them through craig's list or a diaper swap board.
That's my 2 cents.
Sarah

zephyr
05-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi. My ds is 7 months and we just started cloth diapering. What I noticed is that he sleeps much better at night with a cloth diaper on, and also sleeps LONGER. That is a huge plus for me. Because I noticed with disposables he would get up 1-2 times a night. Now he doesn't. Also, I have heard a lot of people say that babies that are cloth diapered potty train quicker, because they can instantly feel when they've just gone. Don't know how true that is because my son is only 7 months, but it could be true.
Zephyr

lizajane
05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
my older DS potty trained at 26 months. both my DSs started using the potty at 18 months. dylan has been wearing sposies (sigh) for a few months, but i am hoping to switch him back to get potty training going strong. he uses the potty a lot and i think i could train him if i really tried. he is 28 months.

just thought i would offer my evidence that at least some CD'd kids do train fast, even if not all of 'em.

kekane
05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm all for cloth diapering, and plan on doing it. But having lived in NYC for a dozen years, no way would I bother with it there.

If you've got a system that's working for you and your child now -- unless you're really exicted about trying cloth -- it's perfectly reasonable stick with it.

Don't think there's any "should" about it.

kristine_elen
05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
You could use a cloth diaper service in NYC so you wouldn't have to wash your own.

kijip
05-13-2007, 12:45 PM
We cloth diapered and we never had our own washing machine while we were doing it. I never had an issue using my apartment's laundry room. Now we will have our own machine and if we ever have another baby's bottom to diaper it will seem downright heavenly...but it was not very hard to do it without, IMO.

My main reasons:

-Better for the environment
-Better for baby's skin
-IMO easier to potty train from but YMMV
-Like a 1000 times cuter, IMHO.

Tondi G
05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Not a cloth diaper-er but my neighbor uses cloth and has a diaper service. She is totally happy with it... has an almost 2 year old who is already potty training now and a 4 month old. I considered it and MAY try it if we have a baby #3! If you are happy with the Tushies and don't wanna rock the boat than stick with them. It's a personal decision I guess! Good luck

~Tondi