PDA

View Full Version : Need Diaper Pail Advice

4Chums
05-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Hello Again Gals! :-)

Well, after diapering babies #1 and #2 in disposables, I am Cloth Diapering for the first time with baby #3. So here I am again... back on this helpful board with my second question! Thank you for being patient with me! :-)

After perusing the older posts in the Cloth Diaper Thread, I read that the recommended Diaper Pail for CDing is a Sterilite Brand Flip Top lid trash can.

Unfortunately, I have looked all over for this darn trash can, and can't find it anywhere (and my swollen pregnant tootsies are starting to get the better of me--LOL!). When I went to Target--where others have reportedly purchased this particular trash can--the customer service gal told me that the Sterilte brand has been discontiued. Was she just out of her mind? What gives? I didn't see much of it online either, so maybe she's right? Are others finding the Sterilite brand somewhere else?

I understand that the traditional diaper pails sold in baby stores do not usually work well with cloth diapers (since the size of the opening is smaller). So I am at a loss. I definitely need to have something with a lid/top or I will run into trouble with my curious puppy dogs who like to sniff around and "discover" things (ewwww, yuck, I know!).

Do any of you have any suggestions on where to find the Sterilite container, or about other brands of diaper pails/trash cans that would be appropriate for CDing and easily available locally? I would prefer not to have to order something on the web, since the shipping would be ridiculous for such an awkward-sized package, but I suppose I *could* do that if it's my only option.

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions and/or clarifications you gals might offer.

Thanks SO much for your ideas! I am so glad I found this board! :-)

katydid1971
05-06-2007, 10:53 PM
They replaced the Sterilite can with the target brand can. You can use any trash can you want people just recomended the sterilite one because it wasn't very expensive and worked well and was easy to find. Any trash can with a tight fitting lid will work. Your pail liner is more important than the pail. I love my snap-ez liners (I have two, one for when the other is in the wash.) Plus I use them when we go to the pool to bring home wet clothes and when we are on vaction to bring home dirty clothes. Any "Tall Kitchen Trash Can" will work. If you want a regular pail to keep puppy out, try the Dekor or the new Diaper Champ with the larger opening.
HTH
Sarah

4Chums
05-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks so much for your reply, Sarah! :-)

The Diaper Dekor looks like it might be a REALLY GOOD option---I just looked it up on the web, and I do remember seeng one of those at a local baby store. Thanks for suggesting it. I guess I just hadn't paid much attention to it because I had read that traditional diaper pails didn't work with CDing, but I will definitely go check it out more closely now.

Can anyone recommend any reusable/washable pail liners that they KNOW fit the Diaper Dekor? It'd be great to go green with the liners rather than use those disposable kind their website recommends.

Sadly, I didn't seem to find any other workable trash can options at Target or other local retailers. Not even in the Target brand. Maybe I'm just unlucky here in my area. The other trash cans with lids were surprisingly SPENDY! There were even some close to $100--unbelievalble. (Since when did trash cans become such a trendy decorator item? LOL!!:-)) With the interest in stainless steel decor items these days, it's hard to find just a BASIC white trash can, especially one with a puppy-proof flip top lid. ...Also, some of the current stock models seem to have a different top-closing mechanism that would appear to prevent a washable/reusable pail liner from fitting and folding-over all the way around the top rim of the can (hard to explain in text, but hope you get the jist of what I'm trying to say!). So unfortunately I ended up "eliminating" a lot of trash can models while I was standing right there in the store.

Well, at least the Diaper Dekor might be an option!! :-) Yeah!
Thanks again, and do keep the posts coming if anyone has any other helpful suggestions to add. I'm sure I'm not the only Mama new to CDing that's interested in the ins-and-outs of CD Diaper Pails! LOL

katydid1971
05-07-2007, 08:32 AM
These liners fit the dekor. I would mention you are using it with the dekor when you order just to be sure but it shouldn't be a problem.
Sarah
http://www.snap-ez.com/CartDiaperPailLiners.html

elephantmeg
05-07-2007, 12:34 PM
I bought a stainless pail at walmart which has a plastic pail liner. It's awesome. I used to use pail liner bags but now just use the plastic tub and wipe it out with a chlorox wipe when I empty it into the trash and I have a small one in the bathroom where I put poopy diapers (rinse with the sprayer and then put in the pail. I tried to find one on their website but can't. Sorry!