PDA

View Full Version : Advice on one size cd's for a new mom please

cz
05-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I've spent hours reading about CD's online in preparation for our first baby, and I *think* I want to buy one size fitted diapers with snaps. Does anyone have feedback on the following brands?
Mother Ease (I have a friend who loves them, but heard they're very bulky?)
Mommy's Touch
Baby Beehinds
Tiny Tush

Also, I'm thinking of buying a couple Kissaluv size 0 fitted diapers because I keep hearing that the one size diapers can be enormous for newborns - is that smart or a waste of money?

Finally, if I end up buying a couple different brands of one-sizes to experiment with, I'd like to be sure that I buy diaper covers that fit them all - is it true that Thirsties are universal and fit everything? Anyone have any experience with them?

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

american_mama
05-28-2007, 09:15 PM
What good and unique questions: I can tell you have done tons of research. I can only answer some of them. I think Mother-ease diapers are an ok, but not great, diaper and yes, I think they are bulky until a child is approaching a year or so. Motherease and many other one-size diapers require you to fold down the rise of the diaper (measurement from butt through legs to belly button area). Once folded, the diaper becomes twice as thick at the waist, which is quite bulky. You will need a cover with a mothereasae diaper, and i am only familiar with covers in sizes small, medium, large, etc.

Oh, Motherease diapers also don't have elastic at the legholes. The legholes are trimmed in soft ribbing with almost no stretch. I say that because it's possibly that elastic legholes in other diapers will hold in runny newborn poop better.

Mommy's touch is a one-size pocket diaper, meaning it has both the waterproof outer and the stay-dry inner. you must always put in an absorbent insert. Don't know much about Mommy's Touch, but have definitely heard the name.

You left out bumGenius, another popular one-size pocket diaper. Also Wonderoos/Wonderworks. Of the two, I'd go with bumGenius version 2.0 (which is made of softer PUL rather than stiffer nylon).

Buying a couple Kissaluvs is probably a great idea, both because of the more accurate fit on a newborn and the fact that so many like these diapers for newborns.

I hate to complicate matters, but there are also two-size diapers, with one size for 20 pounds and under and the second size for over. You'll still have to fold the rise/waist over at the newborn stage, but overall, the diaper will probably be a better and trimmer fit. But I am not an expert on it.

luvsviola
05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Also to complicate things...

I love BumGenius 2.0s. But, they didn't fit DD until she was about 3 months old--gapped at the legs and the pee ran down her leg. It was the same with Fuzzi Bunz smalls. Even FB X-smalls were too big in the beginning--DD was 6 lbs. 7 oz at birth, and went down to 6.0 before she left the hospital.

So, I know my baby was tiny and all, but I would order 2 or 3 of whatever you think you will like and try them on the baby while you have the sposies from the hospital before you order a whole lot more. While you CAN sell them back, it is really frustrating to have a bunch of something that doesn't work. And many one size diapers do not fit newborns well.

I honestly liked disposables (Swaddlers) best before the cord came off at a 7 days old and then BG fitteds after that because they didn't swallow DD. I bought about 25 Kissaluv 0s before she was born and really didn't care for them--we used the BG fitteds first and those when they were dirty. The KL0s were so bulky on her twiggy legs and you had to be careful to get the cover on right because they were so thick. And when we were in survival mode and DD was so tiny, Swaddlers fit better and were so much easier than anything with snaps.

I guess what I am getting to is to try a couple before you buy a lot. www.nickisdiapers.com has free shipping, so it is not like you are paying more for shipping several orders when you use her.

KrisM
05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I definitely think buying a couple to try is a great idea. I have Thirsties covers and love them. I use them over prefolds and bumgenius fitteds without any problems. I would think they would fit well over most things.

I'm not a one-size user or a big fitted user, so can't really help with the rest of your stuff.

Good luck.

mudder17
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I would recommend either K0's (you can get seconds for cheaper) or prefolds for the newborn stage (with snappi) because the one-size diapers will just be so bulky. And if you have a baby less than 8 pounds, it will seem even more so. With my 7 and 8 pounder, the preemie prefolds actually fit quite well and were trim. There is another fitted diaper sold by a Canadian company whose name escapes me, but they're supposed to be similar to K0's, except maybe cheaper. I think Lori (Momof3Labs) used them. I might have gotten those instead of the K0s way back when, but they're comparable.

The MEOS are supposed to be pretty good, but honestly, I found them to be bulky and not all that absorbent (bulky for a younger baby, not absorbent enough for a moderate to heavy wetter). Still, they seem to work well for some people and you can easily add a doubler or two to increase absorbency (of course that also increases the bulk).

For one-size pockets, I like the BG2.0 or Wonderoos for doing a good job with leaky poop. However, with either one, if you don't get a ood fit, then you're asking for a leak (in our case, we get pee leaks with the BG2.0 if she's sitting in a funny position or we don't fastn the legs snugly. It's the main reason I prefer the two-part systems to the one-part systems.

There are fitted diapers that are two-size and those might give you a larger range to work with (so you might need two sets of diapers instead of three). I'm not too familiar with them, but I believe Kindhearted Women are two-size (or at least used to be), Little Beetles are (although they've added a toddler size) and Pinhead diapers are (I only have one of them and I don't know if they're still being made). My Sam's fitted seem to have a large range as well. At 18 pounds, Mika is still able to wear the small ones, although she's been wearing mediums for some times as well. Bijou Baby Gear mediums seem to fit babies for a long time, too.

Overall, I would tell you to do what others have already suggested--get maybe one of each diaper you might want to try and try them out before getting a large number.

For covers, well, I don't need anymore covers or I'd try the thirsties one, but one other cover I would highly recommend are the nylon pull-on covers. I have the Bummis brand, but I also have the Dappi brand (which is much cheaper). I got a pair of the Dappis for something like $6 from Kidsurplus. They're maybe a tiny bit more plasticky feeling, but not to any significance. These covers fit over everything. They also run large, so if you're on the edge of the size range, you can size down. These nylon covers are breathable, but even better, they're very thin, so they don't add a lot of bulk. They are a bit poofy looking if it's not under clothes but they fit under clothes just fine (so very easily squishy).

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

american_mama
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
I just read a tip I thought I'd pass on. With a one-size pocket diaper, use a smaller insert with a newborn to reduce bulk. Something like a preemie prefold or any other insert you care to try. Seems obvious, but never occurred to me.

american_mama
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
I just read a tip I thought I'd pass on. With a one-size pocket diaper, use a smaller insert with a newborn to reduce bulk. Something like a preemie prefold or any other insert you care to try. Seems obvious, but never occurred to me.

cz
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Holy smokes, thanks so much for all the advice! As much as I am feeling compulsive about buying everything before the baby comes, it really sounds like I should just get over it and buy a couple diapers to try out before ordering. Thanks so much to all of you - Christine

cz
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Holy smokes, thanks so much for all the advice! As much as I am feeling compulsive about buying everything before the baby comes, it really sounds like I should just get over it and buy a couple diapers to try out before ordering. Thanks so much to all of you - Christine