PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Potty Training

katydid1971
05-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Well I think its time to start potty training and I am clueless about what I should do. I have purchased a little Bjorn potty but beyond that I don't know what to do or how to start. What books, websites, products, etc. do you think are helpful? What potty training methods do you use? When do you start using training pants? What type of training pants do people like? (I cd so I would like a cloth training pant.) Are the Gerber ones ar Target any good or do I need to get the expensive ones from the online cd retailers? I am potty training a two year old boy if you need to know that.
Thanks for you help and advice.
Sarah

katydid1971
05-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Well I think its time to start potty training and I am clueless about what I should do. I have purchased a little Bjorn potty but beyond that I don't know what to do or how to start. What books, websites, products, etc. do you think are helpful? What potty training methods do you use? When do you start using training pants? What type of training pants do people like? (I cd so I would like a cloth training pant.) Are the Gerber ones ar Target any good or do I need to get the expensive ones from the online cd retailers? I am potty training a two year old boy if you need to know that.
Thanks for you help and advice.
Sarah

lizajane
05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
naked. that is my advice. the more time he can spend naked the better. dylan is 2.5 and he just potty trained day and night in two days. he has been using the potty for a YEAR. i was just too lazy to make the effort. but when preschool ended, i just left him nakey for as much of the day as possible, with a diaper for naps and bedtime. he got it right away. (don't get me wrong, we do still have some poop issues, but we haven't had one wet diaper in days.) schuyler also potty trained with nakey time, at 26 months.

i found what worked for schuyler, who required more time to end the accidents, was gerber training underpants under a bummis pull on cover. at home, we went nakey or in the underpants. when we went out, we used the pull on cover as a back up while maintaining the pull-on underwear style consistancy.

lizajane
05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
naked. that is my advice. the more time he can spend naked the better. dylan is 2.5 and he just potty trained day and night in two days. he has been using the potty for a YEAR. i was just too lazy to make the effort. but when preschool ended, i just left him nakey for as much of the day as possible, with a diaper for naps and bedtime. he got it right away. (don't get me wrong, we do still have some poop issues, but we haven't had one wet diaper in days.) schuyler also potty trained with nakey time, at 26 months.

i found what worked for schuyler, who required more time to end the accidents, was gerber training underpants under a bummis pull on cover. at home, we went nakey or in the underpants. when we went out, we used the pull on cover as a back up while maintaining the pull-on underwear style consistancy.

JBaxter
05-31-2007, 05:34 AM
:D Ditto what Liza said!!

Its worked for me 3x. All 3 of my boys trained that way and all were done before 2 1/2.

PS summer is a great time to start

JBaxter
05-31-2007, 05:34 AM
:D Ditto what Liza said!!

Its worked for me 3x. All 3 of my boys trained that way and all were done before 2 1/2.

PS summer is a great time to start

katydid1971
06-01-2007, 12:04 AM
How do you keep him from peeing on your floor? What do you watch for, do you just put him on th potty several times a day? DS goes a long time between peeing but I have seen him pee on the floor and not think anything of it? Sorry if I sound stupid but none of our friends have started potty training their kids and all my nephews are younger than DS. Thanks for the help.
Sarah

JBaxter
06-01-2007, 05:32 AM
I had 2 potties one in the living room one in the bathroom. We also set a timer for 90 min then if he hadnt peed we did every 30 min. When it rang it was "potty time". For the first 2 weeks I did a small treat for trying to potty ( 1 m&m) so it made it worth his while to try. It may not be feasible for you but we also would pee on bushes outside. It sounds crazy but for some reason little boys think its cool. I would say "lets water the bush" he would giggle and try to squeeze out a little pee my though was it taught him control.

Honestly it only took about 3 days of him being naked to get the hang of it. I stuck to him like GLUE for those first days. You will have accidents but vinegar and water cleans those up well. I think the best advice is to set the date and NOT give up. Once you commit dont turn back. It will be harder to stop and restart.

We did use rewards the first time he went all day without an accident we went to toys r us for a prize.

Sopamanda
06-01-2007, 10:12 AM
He's peed in the little potty chair 2x in the last week and a half, although he spends MWF at daycare. He seems to like sitting and reading, and we reward him with a raisin. This idea seems cool, but how do I know if he's ready, everyone is surprised that he's doing this at 20 months.

jacksmomtobe
06-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I was thinking the same question. A few additional questions of my own (sorry to hijack)...do you have potties in every bathroom if you have multiple bathrooms or at least one on every floor?? What products did people find useful? What things were not useful??

Thanks!

MommyAllison
06-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I am by no means an expert, as we are just beginning with DD, but I think that to use the naked method, you have to be ok with accidental peeing on the floor. If you get frustrated when it happens, it will only make everything harder, you know? I think I'd try taking him to the potty every 30 minutes or so, then you are more likely to catch him when he needs to pee.

We have the opposite problem though. DD has peed (and pooped, sigh) on the floor a few times when running away from a diaper change, and now she will only pee in her diaper. She doesn't mind sitting on the potty, wiping, flushing, taking her little potty ring off the toilet, but she knows she isn't supposed to pee on the floor, and thinks the diaper is the only place to go. The last couple of times she has started to pee on the floor, she stops herself after a tiny bit escapes. She has the control, and knows when she is wet/poopy and will tell us sometimes when she needs to go. But she will only use a diaper. Sigh. I know she's ready but don't know how to help her!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

Sopamanda
06-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Yay! Pee #3 today! FWIW he really likes reading books on the potty. We sometimes spend 15 minutes there. After a nap, he's
-bound- to go, right?? :)

AM