PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the smell out of a diaper dekur?

HIU8
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
That about says it all. Our diaper dekur is 2.5 years old. We have washed it, aired it out, used lysol every time we put a diaper in it, used special scented disks etc... We have not yet washed it with ammonia. I know you should use ammonia when washing out trashcans. Will it also get rid of the smell in a diaper pail?

DH wants me to just go out and get a new one. I want to exhaust all cleaning possibilities first before I go out and just spend more money. (long story. One income, new baby coming and money is very tight).

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD EDD any day now and counting...

cmo
06-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Sadly, plastic absorbs odors over time, and you probably can't get it out. Believe me, I've tried! Get a new one, and if you want to make it last longer, don't put poopy diapers in it. Keep a stash of plastic grocery bags nearby and take 'em straight out to the can. (Of course that will start to smell over time too, you just can't win! At least at our house we know that no one is likely to ever dig through our trash.) Sigh. I know it's hard to spend the money, but these things just have a limited life span...

casey118
06-06-2007, 05:46 PM
I ended up just getting a new diaper thing (can't remember the brand) for the same reason, but, it did seem to help in the short term when I soaked it in hot water and baking soda in our bathtub. Maybe try putting a thing of baking soda in the bottom to absorb odor? I just found that the plastic seemed to absorb the smell. Good luck!

JTsMom
06-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Try vinegar- maybe 50/50 with water- let it soak overnight. Nesting? :)

alexsmommy
06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't know the design of that one, but to get the odor out of our diaper champ, I soaked it overnight with vinegar and water, then did the same thing the next night with baking soda, and finally stuck it out in the sun for a day. Smells fine now.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

shburks
06-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Like a pp said, I just could NOT get the smell out of our Diaper Champ because the plastic (and whatnot) just absorbed the smell after a while. My ds was born around the time as your dd (10/26/04) and I finally threw ours out a few months ago--just threw it out! His room smells tons better. I had tried everything under the sun and it might have worked temporarily, but the smell always came back. Like you, we had washed it, aired it, sunned it, always Lysoled it, etc.

Truthfully what I think works best is just taking out the diapers every night! At the least, I'd spend the money and buy new.

Susan

HIU8
06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'm sending DH out today to get a new diaper pail.

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD EDD Any Day Now...

shburks
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
At least there's no scrubbing and no fumes involved in a new one! :)

GL!