PDA

View Full Version : Have I started out right for a CD newbie?

anchita
06-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Hello,

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking and reading (and learning) a whole lot... I'm going to have my first baby in about 7 weeks, and want to use cloth diapers with her, at least part time.

Reading previous threads, especially the TREMENDOUSLY helpful CD 101, I thought I'd start collecting some stuff. I intend to begin after the baby is a week old or so, and want to start out slow, using CDs when I can (when my brain is reasonably awake/aware.) But I do plan to CD full time as soon as I get the hang of it.

I found a local store that carries CD supplies, and I've bought 12 newborn sized Thirsties cotton PFs, 2 X-small Thirsties covers and 2 snappis. I didn't go all out and buy more because the baby isn't here yet, and also because having a local seller means that I can get more as and when I want. The lady at the store is very helpful and has assured me that I can exchange stuff, and that she can order more of what I want, when I know what I'll need. She even proposed that she can deliver to my house if I'm not in a state to venture outside soon after having the baby!

I'd love to hear your opinions and suggestions on how I've done so far (brands, sizes, numbers etc.) and how I should proceed. I've decided to start out with PFs and covers, as most people here seem to suggest that they're the most effective for newborns. Also, I figure that the baby is going to grow out of this size soon, so I don't want to invest in pricier pockets, AIOs etc. just yet.

I intend to add more covers (are the Motherease covers more breathable?) and of course more PFs (any advice as to which ones to get?) and some fitteds (I've heard good things about Kissaluvs here; the store carries Swaddlebees and Thirsties, I think.) I will need to get a wetbag/pail liner as well. Anything else that I should be thinking of?

I apologize for the length of the post, but I'm pretty jittery, being a newbie to motherhood, as well as to CDing!

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice you might have...
Anchita

KrisM
06-09-2007, 05:37 PM
I think that's a good start, but I'd add more covers. Two covers could get as few as 2 changes and then you're done. Maybe add 2 more of a different brand. I love my Thirsties and I think they are a fantastic combo of all things good - elastic, gussets, material, etc., but I'd probably try a Bummi or Bumpy, too. Although, my cousin is CDing twins and she is all Thirsties so far.

I haven't tried Thirsties pfs, but have read nice things about them. I have regular CPFs that have made it through 2 kids (infant size at least).

You didn't mention cloth wipes. They are so much better than sposie wipes. Even when we do sposies, like on a long vacation, we bring cloth wipes :).

If you don't think you'll CD full-time at the start, I think just adding a couple more covers, wipes, wet bag will be enough to go with. Then, you can get more once you're ready to move into night time diapering, and full time CDing.

anchita
06-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply, Kris.

I had completely forgotten about wipes.. Will look into those. And yes, I do need to get a wetbag. I want to get a smaller one, so that I'm (or hubby or Mom are) reminded of doing laundry often. The store I went to only had bigger sizes. Any suggestions on brand or sources for smaller ones?

Also, I'll get a couple more covers. Brand specifics are always a great help. I've also been wondering about wool covers. Anyone use these, especially with newborns/infants, and would like to share their experience?

Thanks again!
Anchita

KrisM
06-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I have 2 large Bummi wetbags for home. That gives about 3 days of diapers before it's full. I don't want to do laundry more than that! But, Bummi does make mediums and smalls. I use small for the diaper bag.

Lots use wool. I don't because of allergies. I don't think they're super popular with infants who poop all the time, since that means some work with washing. But, I hope someone else will answer that better than I can.

american_mama
06-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I have a Mothereas Airflow cover. The material is a lot like PUL, which is not especially breathable, but the design has snaps at the waistband and snaps at the leghole, leaving a lot of space in between for airflow. It has never leaked for me at the sides, lest that concern you. It's a puffy cover, kind of like bloomers. Most side snapping covers are going to be a little puffy, just due to their design. Covers that wrap around with velcro or snaps at the waist will be trimmer.

I don't know anything about brands of prefolds. They aren't usually talked about by brand, at least not that I have noticed.

Kissaluvs are supposed to be cute and well-fitting, but not too absorbent. I've heard Happy Hempy's are very much like them, and I personally think Loveybums sherpa are like them, but more absorbent. I'm curious about the Swaddlebees and bumGenius fitteds.

For wool covers, many here really like Angel Dry stretch wool covers. They are sized very generously, stretch nicely, and are not bulky. You can choose your trim color to dress it up a little. Aristocrats are a much-loved, thick nightime wool cover.

MommyAllison
06-12-2007, 08:06 PM
RE: wool for newborns/infants

My friend has a 2.5 month old and has used wool occasionally since birth, but is starting to use it all day now. She was scared of getting poop on the wool, but after that finally happened, and she realized she could clean it off pretty easily, she started using it all day long. She loves the breathability since PUL covers give her DD a rash. She snappis her prefolds though, then puts the wool longies/covers over them. HTH a bit!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

anchita
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies.

Kris, I liked the idea of using the small bag in the diaper bag, along with the medium/large for home use. I'll try and find out about their availability at local/web stores.

Good to know about the Motherease covers, Karen. Also, for the fitteds, I think I'll wait a couple of weeks or so after the baby's here, and then go for the "sampler package" my local retailer offers. I appreciate the info about the specific brands.

I'm getting increasingly interested in wool covers, because of their reputed breathability. I did look up Angel Dry and Aristocrats. Allison, do you know/remember which specific covers your friend has used for her baby?

Are fleece covers supposed to be good as well, as far as the breathability is concerned? The more I read, the more questions I have. And I really appreciate your knowledge, experience and willingness to share!

Thanks,
Anchita

MommyAllison
06-13-2007, 04:17 PM
She is using the covers I knit for her :) A pair of knit longies, and a knit soaker. She is a knitter as well and is planning to knit a bunch more for her DD.

Fleece covers are good for breathability - my friend has used those also, and likes them. She made her own fleece covers, and said that next time she would add gussets. I like our Calico Baby fleece covers, fwiw.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

anchita
06-14-2007, 04:36 AM
Ooooh I see! That is very cool!

Thanks for the info about the fleece covers. The washability definitely adds to their appeal, along with the breathability. The Calico covers seem to be sold out for small sizes right now, but I'll keep an eye on the website. Also, I read a review on diaperpin that said that their elastic is exposed and can leave red marks on baby. Have you seen that happen?

I'm also exploring the loveybums option.. Both, their covers and fitteds. They seem to be out of small sized fleece covers too, but the wool covers and sherpa fitteds sound great by the reviews.

At this point, I'm reading/researching to see what different things I might want to try. I would definitely like to go in the wool/fleece direction for the covers; I'd think they would help the baby in the July-August Texas heat! Also, along with pre-folds, I do want to add some fitteds, because they look like a very convenient option.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.. Please keep them coming.

Anchita

MommyAllison
06-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Hmm that is strange. My Calico Baby cover doesn't have any exposed elastic - it is all covered by the fleece, which is turned and topstitched around the elastic. Maybe a long time ago she made them with exposed elastic? I bought mine last August.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

elephantmeg
06-16-2007, 07:55 AM
I haven't ventured into wool yet but may need to since DS seems rashy this summer. As a newborn we used a lot of BSWW (bummis supper whisper wraps) and proraps. I like the BSWW better but the proraps prices better! We did (unbleached indian) prefolds (first infant and then premium) for the first 8-9 months or so and then had them (premiums) converted into prefiteds which is what I use now-still with BSWW or prorap cover. We went through about 3-5 covers a day as a newborn-that leaky poop gets everywhere-but never had any on his clothes (unlike most of my friends with sposies). We also use some bumgenious-started at about 3-4 months.

Congrats on your new baby to be and deciding to CD!

anchita
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Allison. Good to know there's no exposed elastic...

Margaret, I've heard good things about the BSWW from others too. I think I should try one or two of those to see how it works for us. I'm thinking I should have at least 6 covers for the NB/small sizes.

Not sure what sized PFs we'll need for how long, but I'll stock up on the infant sized for now, as I already have some NB.

I've heard about the prefitteds before, and am wondering what's their advantage over the prefolds (ease of putting on, I guess?)

Thanks again,
Anchita

elephantmeg
06-23-2007, 07:44 PM
ease of putting on which is a moot point as a newborn but became a neccessity at 9-10 months old for DS! He rolls like crazy during diaper changes!