PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mildew on covers!

tylersmama
06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
My sister forgot to wash her diapers before leaving home last week to go help care for our mom (she fell down the stairs and broke her leg and her other foot :( ). When she came back, she found that the covers had mildew on them.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get the mildew off and sanitize the covers? They are Bumpys, which you aren't supposed to use bleach on. I thought maybe Charlie's soap, but she would probably have to order that online. Please help! TIA!

Momof3Labs
06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I'd go ahead and use bleach (diluted). We use dilute bleach periodically in our dipe loads and don't separate out the Bumpy covers first, and have had no issues with them.

tylersmama
06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
How much do you dilute the bleach? Evenly with water, or half as much? I think she may try this.

SeekerMage
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your sister. When I bleach my dipes I fill the washer with water then dump a big splash in the bleach dispenser...I have heard people use any where from a tablespoon to 1/4 cup. I dont measure I just put a splash or so in. Depending on whats in there and if I want possible bleach spots or not. If they are just white bumpys I wouldnt be too concerned and do a big splash. Then rinse the heck out of them and hang them in the sun. The sun will get out any of the mildew that the bleach didnt. If she runs into problems with them wicking at all have her look into a waterproofing spray. It can be found in the camping section and Im pretty sure angelwraps also carries it. I got some and let me tell you AWESOME I had some well loved fbs I got second hand that wicked horribly and they are now like brand new. Good luck...hope she is up and around soon and the covers can be salvaged :)