PDA

View Full Version : diaper sizing....

sunriseiz
06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Ok, you'd think I'd know from previous experience, but it all seems different this time around! DS is 15 months, 20.75lbs and 29 inches...a pretty small guy for his age! He has been wearing Huggies or Kirkland size 4's for a while now, but lately he ends up with a "semi-thong" type problem, if you get my drift! They seem really narrow across his bottom which I think causes the problem. I don't remember ever seeing this with DD and I think I'd remember!

I am not quite sure what to do, but am planning to buy some a couple of different ones to 'test' this weekend. At just over 20 lbs, I can't believe he needs to size up, but I would really appreciate any opinions and/or suggestions. Size 5's, different brand...whatever you think would work...please let me know!!!

TIA!

Marriedladytara
06-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Well, my son is almost 17 months and about the same size (just 20 lbs.) as your guy. He is mostly in size 3 except for at night when we move up to size 4 - and he STILL wets through.

You might want to check out some other brands before you size up at just over 20 lbs. That's still solidly a size 3 I believe. We had used regular old Huggies (purchased from Costco) since he was about 1 month old and we realized that they were the best diapers for him. About 2 months ago he started wetting through (especially at night). We're now in Pampers Size 3 for days (I was shocked, because as a new baby he always leaked in Pampers) and Huggies Size 4 at night.

So, I'd suggest testing a few others - Luvs run big as I recall.

sunriseiz
06-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks so much for the reply! My DH is the stay at home parent, so I just realized that we have started a new case of Huggies and now they are called Snug and Dry. I found an older diaper from the diaper bag and it is the same size 4, but it is at least half or 3/4 inch wider across the bottom. That might make the difference....

Yeah, I can't imagine sizing up at this point. Thanks for the suggestion on the Luvs and Pampers....will have to give them a try.

Thanks!
Sunny

Joolsplus2
06-24-2007, 11:31 AM
My dd's 23 pounds, and the thong only happens when she wears dipes that are too big (2/3 pullups, size 5 convertibles...those are discontinued) :D. She's still fitting great in a size three of any brand (17 mos, 32 inches tall).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

sunriseiz
06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Hmmm. Hadn't really considered that they might be too big. We sized up to 4s because we could barely get the 3's around him and he's not pudgy at all! LOL!

I bought a small pack of Pampers yesterday, so we are going to give them a try. So far they seem ok. Next time I'm out I may try some Lov's or store brand and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Suunny

Joolsplus2
06-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I know for myself it was tempting to keep going up sizes, but once I realized the tabs don't have to overlap or even be near each other, really, you get used to using the smaller size...plus they are so much cheaper. But if they literally can't even reach to velcro closed around his hips, then yeah, too small :D

sunriseiz
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
LOL! I am all for staying in smaller sizes for the $$$ factor! Maybe the poor little guys has a funny shape...I could barely get the tabs of the 3's to reach the front. I started to wonder when they would just pop off! I am really glad they still work for you.

FWIW, so far so good with the Pampers, though I admit I am a little scared after reading another thread. Oh well. Maybe for now we are ok!?! :)

Joolsplus2
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Fingers crossed! I hate to say it, but I'm a Pampers convert... I manage to get over that rank baby powder smell just so I can have those SUPER stretchy tabs (Well, mostly we cloth diaper, so It's a fun novelty to shop for exciting sposies... sad, I know...)

:)

denna
06-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi Sunny,

I just thought Id jump in here. DS is slightly larger at 15mos however he is in a Size 4 in Pampers Cruisers and I have to say that I am a big fan. We have no leak issues throughout the day. However, sometimes at night he soaks through. DS seems to outgrow his diapers in the legs first (he gets rings around his legs from the diaper being to small/tight).

I hope the Pamper's Size 4 work for you!

sunriseiz
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi! Thanks for the input. DS tends to outgrow them in the waist first where I can't quite make the tabs reach. So far so good with the pampers. They are definitely not too big in the legs which would be a whole other problem. I usually get a case of diapers at Sam's or Costco, so I am really waiting to make sure these work before investing! :)

Thanks again!

sunriseiz
06-27-2007, 09:50 AM
LOL about it being a novelty! :) The super stretchy tabs are pretty great. they are SOOOO stretchy that I might be able to go down to 3s, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance! :D