PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Diapers

jbintz
06-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I am having a problem with leaking diapers. We have a great collection of fuzzi bunz. I am afraid that my slim boy is leaking out the legs. So here are my questions.

1. If my fuzzi bunz are no longer waterproof is there anything that can repair them?

2. I have been using 7th Generation Detergent for my diapers but figured I should strip them. What is the method in a front loading washing machine?

3. Anything else that could fix it? I have to put him in FuzziBunz with a Diaper Cover.

Jana

mldflygirl
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Several things come to mind when I read your questions, so I'm going to ask a few questions of my own & make a few suggestions. :)

1) How long have you been using them?
2) What size is DS & what size FB (Fuzzi Bunz) do you have?
3) Have you tried any other brands?

4) You said "I am afraid that my slim boy is leaking out the legs." Are you sure that's where they're leaking? If so, the issue has nothing to do with the waterproof-ness of the diapers. It's just a fit issue. My DS didn't fit his FB for a while after I bought it, even though he was technically in the weight range they specified. And even when he DID fit into it, it never fit him as well as some other brands. I don't know how many you have or how you got them, but you might want to try another brand & see how they fit your DS. There are *HUGE* differences in the different brands of cloth diapers & how they fit different children.

FYI - I've heard that Seventh Generation isn't necessarily the best detergent to use. There's a great list at this website:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

They also have a lot of basic laundry information for pocket diapers (including how to strip them, but I don't think that's your problem in this case):
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentbasics.htm#Pocket%20Diapers

jbintz
06-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Hmmmm.... Let me see how well I can answer.

1) the Mediums about 2 yrs off and on. Larges (we have a huge set) so some of them for 2 yrs others for just 1.

2) I am sure he is a Pettite Toddler but his brother was huge. Mediums would fit him best but the rise is not high enough. So basically he is in Large and Medium.

3) no we stocked on FB's because they worked so well with DS#1 we never expected to have a skinny baby :) I was debating trying some pocket dipes that can be used from birth to like 30 lbs but I am not sure if any of them are good quality. We are expecting again so it is a possibility to get those.

4. I am not sure if it is the waterproofness or leakage. I am afraid if he is leaking around the legs it could cause waterproof like problems but he is getting SOAKED. If it is waterproofness is there a way to fix that?

Thanks for the websites I will check them out.

I would love to try others but we have built our stash so to speak and DH would freak if I spent more money on more pocket diapers. I am potty training in a few months so we can probably just use covers for him until then. I have enough of them.

Jana

lizajane
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
more absorbancy!

what are you using now??

i may be able to send you some PTs to use.

luvsviola
06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I had this prob with DD in the smalls--she didn't fit in them til about 4 months because she leaked out the legs. Even the X-smalls didn't fit til almost 12 weeks. I found that if you pull up on the triangle part of the flap after you snap it, this helps it be tighter around the leg.

We also love Bum Genius 2.0 one size here. The adjustable rise is great and so is the velcro! But, they also didn't fit DD til almost 4 months--leaked out the leg holes. Silly diaper companies don't like skinny babies!

jbintz
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks Liza. I have used everything. 2 microfiber inserts, 3 microfiber inserts, Joeybunz, one of your nightime inserts with a daytime insert. The combination that seems to work best is a prefold with a microfiber folded into it.

I am not sure what else I could do except stock up on more toddler prefolds but I don't think they give me much more absorbancy.

luvsviola - thanks for the info I will try the pull up. I might get one or two of the adjustible dipes that can last for a while and try them out. I want to CD DC#3 from birth but who know how that will work out.

Honestly I am getting so annoyed with our problems with DS#2's diapers I am about to just skip the FB's all together and go with covers.

Jana

Momof3Labs
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Larges are HUGE compared to mediums, especially for a skinny kid. My DS1 never fit in larges, until he was close to PT'ing (at 3.5yo).

I bet that you are just having fit issues.

mldflygirl
06-25-2007, 10:37 PM
It still sounds like a fit issue to me too. I've LOVED the BumGenius one-size dipes for DS. But he has *chubby* thighs (his small waist in comparison has been my problem!). But I would imagine at your DS's age, they should still fit OK...

You could always try selling some of your FBs to raise some cash to try something new?