PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Seventh Generation Products?

smzapalac
07-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone use the Seventh Generation diapers? If so, what is your opinion on them? For our first DD we swore by Pampers Swaddlers. But now with DD #2 on the way, I am starting to regret the small landfill we have created in diapers. Was considering spending the extra $$$ on these all-natural diapers. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I experimented with all the natural disposables at the natural food stores. I have heard that they have tweaked the Seventh Generation ones in the 3 years since I have used them. I never had any leaks or problems with any of them. I liked Tushies best for comfort. Seventh Generation ones always seemed a bit stiff and, well, papery. Like I said though, they may have changed. I did love the lack of nasty chemicals!

Last time I used a cloth diaper service the first 15 mos (till we moved). This time I am planning to cloth diaper on my own. I'll pick up some of the natural food store disposables for back up.

Be prepared to experiment, as with any diaper, to find the right fit. :)

Beth

MarisaSF
07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
We used the 7th Generation diapers when we traveled last week (we use cloth most of the time). They *have* changed in the past 3 years. When I used them with DD, they were hugely bulky. Now they fit quite trim -- like Pampers.

I like that they don't contain bleach. That's about the only "natural" thing about them though. They still contain absorbent gel of some sort (which, btw, works really well -- DS didn't feel wet in them - even overnight!).

I wouldn't consider them "all natural" though and they'll still be going to a landfill -- just not adding bleach to the creation/disposal process or putting bleached goods next to baby's skin.

Have you considered cloth? ;)

MeAndMyStar
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
ITA with what Marisa said :) The seventh generation dipes have no bleach, but still probably degrade at the same rate as any other disposable diaper.

I use mostly cloth, but use sposies occasionally. I bought my first pkg. of 7th gen the other day and was pleasantly surprised. They are super soft and just as absorbant as Huggies (which always worked best for us.)

If you want to avoid all the waste from dipes, try looking into cloth. we use cloth dipes and wipes and I love them. If you have any questions we are here to help you! :) Good luck!

smzapalac
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I have thought about cloth, but must admit, I feel very intimidated by the idea of them. Needless to say I was clueless with DD #1, so I just used what the hospital used and that worked well for us. Now I am much more aware of my options with DD #2. I guess I am nervous going out of the house, shopping/errands and then experiencing a poppy diaper. Not sure what you do with the cloth ones as you can just pitch the Pampers in the trash. Also, we travel a lot and don't know if cloth fits into that side of our lifestyle. I don't have any friends that use cloth either so that would make things easier if I saw them used IRL. When I think about it, it really isn't a big deal, just feel intimidated. However, I would like to do the environmentally friendly thing. Oy, this is tough.

new_mommy25
07-06-2007, 04:01 AM
We are a mixed household. We use cloth around the house and I do use it when we go out. I just bring a small waterproof wet bag and throw the diapers in that. When we get home I immediately empty it into the diaper pail or wash. But if it's a long day or I just don't feel like it then I use disposables without guilt. We also always use disposables when traveling just because it's so much easier. You might want to google Fuzzi Bunz or pocket diapers. They are popular and easy.