PDA

View Full Version : CD washing help

mgc
07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I started using CDs for DD about a month ago as they are the only diaper that contains her poops. I use BG2. They seem to work well and come out of the wash smelling clean. However, I can't seem to get the stains out of the elastic.

My current washing routine -

I have a front loader. I do my best to get the poops off, and I spray stains with shout. I put baking soda in the wash, and do a cold cycle with All Free and Clear and vinegar as a softener. Then I do a hot wash to disinfect. I tried using the soak cycle first, but had no luck.

DD is six months and no longer EBF.

Momof3Labs
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Detergent works best in hot water, so maybe try that instead of detergent in cold water.

cinnyf
07-31-2007, 07:58 PM
My DD is 8 months. I have BG 2.0 and a few other assorted pocket diapers (and prefolds).

This is my method, and it's been working really well: After getting whatever poo off I can, I do a pre wash on cold. Then I do the wash like you except I use Trader Joe's brand powder detergent. Afterwards, I do one more rinse cycle. I haven't had a problem with getting out stains using this method.

I also use to use Shout on my diapers. But I think that it caused them to repel and stink. I ended up having to strip all of my inserts and shells (what a pain!!!). This is actually why I started doing a pre-rinse and a post rinse and skipped Shout all together.

trales
08-03-2007, 03:47 PM
When I switched from Free and Clear to regular detergent the stains and smells were a lot better. I now use Tide powdered and am very happy with it.

JBaxter
08-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Here is a good guide and it was close to what I did when I used CD's
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/laundry%20basics.htm

mgc
08-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks all for your help. I'm doing a better job dunking before I wash. I also use detergent on cold and hot, and then an extra rinse if there is a lot of poop. I guess I don't need the vinegar... I'll check out the Trader Joe's detergent as well.

cinnyf
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I just wanted to check in and see if any of the suggestions helped with the staining on your pockets. BTW, I don't think you need to stop using baking soda/vinegar. It really is a nice trick to deodorize your dipes.

~Cindy

mgc
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I continued with baking soda and vinegar - the load I did without vinegar came out rough.

I discovered that OXYBaby does well on old stains. I don't think it is great for BG, but I'll use it every few weeks when they get grungy.

Thanks for all the help