PDA

View Full Version : Are we on the right track with PTing?

sarahsthreads
07-22-2007, 10:38 PM
So, I was all ready to celebrate, because DD has been in panties for four days now, with only two accidents on day one - literally, twice she started peeing but stopped herself in time to get to the potty, it wasn't even enough to leak through to her shorts. She'll even go "on demand" if it's been long enough, and she's been diaper-less in the car, on errands, the whole shebang. But this afternoon I realized (after cleaning up two pairs of pooped-in panties) that the only times she's pooped since she started wearing panties all day is at night when she's finally in a diaper - except, of course, this afternoon.

Is it normal to be potty trained for pee but not poop at first?

Also, how do you deal with nighttime? We normally have a baby gate up on her door, but tonight I was thinking that it's probably not fair to restrict access to the potty now, yet I don't want her running around the second floor instead of sleeping - or unsupervised while *we're* sleeping. I mean, the second floor is fairly kid-proofed, and she's a really good kid, but I'm terrified she'll figure out how to climb over the banister or do something equally dangerous while I'm sound asleep...

So I guess I'm just looking for general reassurance that we're on the right track, and advice on how to deal with my nighttime paranoia!

Sarah :)

parker10302
07-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi there Sarah! Congrats that your little one is peeing on the potty!! And it is definitely normal to pee on the potty before learning to poop! We just went through this a couple of months ago with my youngest. She started holding it and telling us that she had to go, so within two days, she was wearing panties and peeing on the potty.

Unfortunately it's taken FOREVER to get her to poop on the potty...and to make matters worse, she wouldn't go in a diaper. I would have been happy if she would have at least used a diaper, but she would literally hold it, until she could hold it no longer. It was a huge ordeal!! Poor pumpkin!

After a lot of trial and error, she is finally pooping on the potty with no problem. What finally worked for her was, every afternoon around the normal time she would struggle with holding it in, I would take her bottoms off and spend some naked time playing a game or play-dough, with the potty right next to us. When she would start to whine and wiggle, I would quickly plonk her on the potty. After three or four quick/dry run sittings, she would finally go. We basically cleared our schedule for a week or two, to make sure we were home/in her own environment. We also gave small treats(m&ms or chocolate chips) for a successful potty visit, and a ton of cheering!

We still put a diaper on her at night, even though she does wake up dry 90% of the time, or she wakes to tell us she has to go.

Anyways, sorry for being long-winded! It sounds like you're on the right track, hang in there...good luck!

Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05