PDA

View Full Version : Keep DD in diapers or switch to pull-up's?

fattytuna
07-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I just had DS three weeks ago and I'm following many mom's advices not to start PT'ing DD yet since having a baby brother is a lot for her to deal with right now. DD just turned 2. She's been pooping in the toilet since a very young age, so she's somewhat poop-poop trained (most of the time she tells us). But she still pees in her diaper (unless she happens to sit on the toilet). I'm wondering if I should bother switching her to pull-up's during the day? Or should I just keep her in diapers and go straight to training pants/undies when she's ready? Is there an advantage to pull-up's in terms of convinience if I'm not planning on PT'ing right now?

sarahsthreads
08-01-2007, 12:26 AM
We liked the convenience of the pampers easy-ups. They are as absorbent as a diaper, but in handy pull-up form. We actually started using those when DD was around 18 months because she would not lay still *ever* for a diaper change. Eventually we switched to the feel-and-learn version, which did absolutely nothing for us in terms of potty training, but instead added diaper rashes to the mix. So, if you want pull-on diapers for the convenience factor, by all means go for it, but I think they really delay the potty training aspect and if they're the kind that the child is supposed to feel wet in you really need to be on top of changing them or they can cause a rash.

The only thing that worked for us for potty training was naked bottoms (DD pretty much went commando under dresses for a month while we were home) and then we "accidentally" ran out of pull-ups and switched to panties (not training pants). I think she was really ready though, since she's had no accidents since the first day in panties, and now that she's experienced the comfort and freedom of panties vs. diapers she would strongly prefer to not even wear diapers at night (not that she's ready for that, of course!)

Good luck!
Sarah :)

fattytuna
08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Thank you, Sarah! I think I'll just wait until DD is ready.

HHCs Mom
08-06-2007, 03:53 PM
We've been PT'ing here as well. DS treated pull ups just like diapers and they are SO expensive compared to a big box of Pampers Cruisers! We went straight to real underwear (not even trainers) and he's done beautifully. :) I'd keep in diapers just for the cost factor and then go right to undies when the time comes to PT. We do use pull ups at naptime but am ready to drop those since he's pottying before nap and keeping his pull up dry everyday at nap. We also use the Goodnights pull ups at night time since DS is a super heavy wetter at night. He's *nowhere* near ready to wear underwear to bed at night.

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ April 2004
...and Davis ~ born May 2007!

fattytuna
08-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Kim! I think I will keep DD in diapers for now and get her some undies when she ready.

shburks
08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
ITA with the PP. Besides, if you really *do* want to use Pull-Ups during the PTing process and she's been used to using them as diapers, basically, it would probably be very confusing for her. We didn't break out Pull-Ups until we started PTing and we never gave them a different name. (We use them for very long outings and nap.) We just call them "Cars Underwear" (they are the Pull-Ups with the Cars movie characters. As far as ds is concerned, they are just a different kind of underwear--just one more convenient for Mommy sometimes!