PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tried PT. Wasn't the right time. DD afraid to pee in the diaper now

ilovetivo
08-09-2007, 01:35 PM
She's most afraid to pee in the diaper. Any BTDT with peeing?

DD's 2 1/2 (31mos) and completely has all signs of readiness. We PT'd for 1 1/2 days before this happened. During day 1 we started w/ underwear (HA training pants she picked out). And then went naked. She had no probs sitting naked on the potty in the beginning.

Later in the day, she would scream and cry that she didn't want to pee or sit on the potty. She held it in for approx 5 hrs. At that time she ran to the potty, sat down and the hugest amount of pee came out. She was afraid to stay sitting during the pee so she stood up and it kinda was going all over. We couldn't get her to sit. We were very encouraging all day.

Day 1 was rough, so Day 2 we backed off a bit. We asked what she wanted to wear, which was diapers. Then she didn't want to pee in the diapers, or in the potty with or without diapers. She kept running around holding it and saying she needed a new diaper (even though hers was dry) and was peeing (i think she meant she had to pee b/c she wasn't going).

Day 3 we backed off more and just asked her every once in a while if she wanted the potty. Still same actions. She'd finally pee watching tv or something. We encouraged her all the way, now saying it's great she knew she was going to pee.

Day 4 today, backed off even more. still the same. Woke up from night time practically dry. She did cry that she was peeing w/ diaper on and i said it's ok, just make in your diaper, and she did.

We did a sticker chart and rewards, and just wanted her to finish the chart to get the rewards so she felt a sense of accomplishment. I filled in a bunch of them and we're doing stickers for anything the past 2 days (like saying she's peeing). She just got 1 sticker this morning and thus 1 of the rewards (a game) for sitting in it w/ a diaper while i read a book. THis afternoon if she sits 1 time w/o diaper, she gets the big reward we've been promising...the Kitchen Helper.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

shburks
08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh, dear. I'm so sorry. This sounds like it really upset her. I certainly don't have gobs of advice for you as I'm a newbie in the PT world, too, and with a boy, no less, but I'd say back way off. Don't mention the potty and let her tell you if/when she's finally ready to go. DS is about this age, and I know there's a lot of pressure to get moving with it--especially if they're showing signs, too--but I'm sure that continuing down your current path will slow down the PT process. As I'm sure you know, you certainly don't want her to start holding it too long to lead to other issues. I would finish the chart (due to the reasons you mentioned) and then take a break. Allow her to feel comfortable with the diapers again.

But that's just my two cents.

ilovetivo
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks so much!

She seems fine now. That was quick :) thank goodness! Yesterday she told dh she was pee pee'ing (in the diaper) and he gave her the last sticker. SO now she got her Kitchen Helper. She peed in the diaper yesterday w/o saying anything. She seems to be fine now. We're not mentioning it at all, unless she does. This morning she wanted to sit on the potty w/o diaper. We did that for 20 min. It was all her though. She didn't ask for a sticker, so we didn't offer one either. If she did, i guess we'd start a new chart, but again it'd be all her.

Thanks!!!

shburks
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a good plan! Maybe the potty just got too scary for her! We never know what funny thoughts are going through the minds of two year olds. :)