PDA

View Full Version : The naked potty kid

punkrockmama
08-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Okay, Peyton has been potty trained for awhile now. Hasn't had an accident in ages. The only kicker is that to go (pee & poo), he needs to get naked from the waist down. He tears off his pants and underwear and goes. Then I have to help him get dressed.

I'm not sure on how to work with him on keeping his clothes on. I've tried to suggest it and he FREAKS. He says "NO No no. I need to take it off." I don't want him to have any kind of negative thinking about going so I'm just like whatever you say sir.

But he's starting school and they have a no hands policy. I mean, they won't let him streak all day, but they flat out will not wipe, or touch them if they can help it.

So, any ideas on how to work this out? Even in the stall at Target he needs to strip.

Thanks!

shburks
08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
I have no suggestions for you, but I wanted to sympathize as ds is the exact same way.

FWIW, when I taught preschool, I had a three year old boy who did the same thing--had to completely strip down for potty especially for poop. Unlike your school, though, we didn't have that sort of policy, so I just helped him get re-dressed. I will say, though, that it was very hard to be in a bathroom trying to help one child with clothes while there were 11 other three year olds in a classroom!!! Especially for newly PT'd threes, I don't see any way that they *can't* help wipe or pull up pants, etc. That really seems like a lot to expect from a young three or a newly PT'd three. JMO

Moneypenny
08-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't know how to fix it, but DD is the same way. Except the underwear usually has to go on her head while she's doing her business. Sigh.

Like the PP, I can't imagine how 3 year olds can be expected to do it all themselves. DD can give a cursory wipe but it doesn't accomplish anything, and there's no way she can get her underwear and pants pulled up without giving herself a giant wedgie.

Susan
mama to my 3-year old cutie pie

JoyNChrist
08-22-2007, 03:13 PM
>Except
>the underwear usually has to go on her head while she's doing
>her business. Sigh.

Snort!

Okay, I don't even know why I clicked on this thread, since I'm years away from PT'ing, but this statement has me cracking up!

Wife_and_mommy
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
My only suggestion is to have him start practicing putting his clothes on himself. DD's started doing that after DS was born so she's pretty good now. She just started trying to leave her panties on "like mama". Still takes her skirt/shoes when in public(can you say "EWW") off.

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/pXphm4.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

punkrockmama
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
It's a Montessori school and when the director told me that I was like "What, now?" But after she explained herself I do understand. Not being able to wipe the kids or touch them like that is a legal issue (translation=a CYA move). Basically, they won't let them run around with you know, dingleberries or streak. But they do need to get it together themselves as much as they can.

He actually does really well wiping. We've been practicing from the jump. I used to let him "wipe" after I cleaned him. He knows to keep going until the papers clean,lol. And he's all about the soap and water, so I'm not too worried about that.

punkrockmama
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Still takes her skirt/shoes
>when in public(can you say "EWW") off.
>
>
>

Haha. Well then I feel lucky. Peyton leaves his shoes on,lol. I don't think my little germophobe heart could take it if he tried to go barefoot as well,lol.

jenjenfirenjen
08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Luke was like this for the longest time. He still usually strips for poop. I agree with a PP...don't try to stop him from stripping if he's so adamant about doing it but help him learn to put his clothes back on himself. I started this Luke by deliberately putting on underwear and pants that were easy to pull up (soft, stretchy undies and stretchy waistband pants.)