PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been done, but can we do it again? NB stash

MommyAllison
08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I know there have been about eight thousand posts on newborn stashes, but most of them are fairly old and I know several of you have had more newborns since then, so can I beg some wisdom?

I am in the beginning stages of building a newborn stash, and am thinking about getting in on a prefold co-op that closes next week, so trying to make decisions. We have plenty of mediums and regular size IPFs from DD, so just need to figure out the nb/small stages. I have two small fitteds from DD as well, but that's it.

So I am thinking of getting some preemie prefolds - how many is enough? 1 dozen, or 2? For reference, DD was right about on time, and 8lb 2oz. If I get preemie prefolds, do I also get newborns or go straight to infants? How many of which sizes? I think the majority of our small stash will be prefolds, as much as I'd love to do fitteds.

And covers? We mainly used wool for DD so I'm clueless. Are proraps still best for NBs? What about for small sizes? Thanks for any advice!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

o_mom
08-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Here is what we have. Keep in mind this is built up over three kids :-)

36 EU Prefolds - Infant size 4x8x4 - these fit fine from birth on all three kids (7.15, 8.12 and 8.7). 36 is overkill now, but there have been a few times we were down to the last few with a load in the wash and one waiting to be folded.

12 Prefitteds - 6 small and 6 smaller - These were actually SnuggleUp snaps that I didn't like the snaps on so I took them off and now just use a Snappi on them. The smaller ones fit from birth, the small ones from about 2 weeks, He is just about out of the smaller ones at 15.5 lbs,

Newborn wraps - 3 Bummis SWW Newborn, 1 Bummis nylon Small, 1 Bummis Cotton Small, 2 Gerber wraps Newborn - These were all the ones we used from birth. I also have a few others that I didn't like (proraps, bumkins). I would probably do all SWWs if I were starting over.

Small wraps - 4 Bummis SWW Small, 1 ME Rikki Small - These fit from about 6 wks on

Newborn Wool - 1 Bumpy wool wrap Small, 2 newborn sized soakers that I made, newborn longies

Small Wool - 1 Bumpy Wool wrap Small, small longies and I'm making a small soaker (or two or three).

24 fleece liners

3 hemp doublers

12 cotton doublers

MarisaSF
08-20-2007, 09:55 PM
From my experience, I'd encourage moderation. My DD was 7lbs 5 oz (on her due date), so I figured DS would be similarly average sized. He was 10lbs 6oz and NEVER fit into the really cute brand-new BSWWs we had. :(

Glad I never got the premie prefolds. I did get 12 infant ones. He outgrew those at 2 months.

I'd get 12 infants PFs and no more than 3 covers to start. Then get some more after you know how big DC is.

ETA: I re-thought what I wrote. I had 2 small Fuzzibunz which still fit. I also have 8 BumGenius which fit since the early days and should last until he's out of diapers; they are a great value if you like pockets. I also had several Kissaluvs 0s that were great, but quickly outgrown!

MommyAllison
08-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks! That helps a lot. Do newborn BSWWs have a snapdown or cutout for the cord? I'm thinking now of getting 1 dozen preemie UBCPFs and then they can be used as doublers later. Then I think I'll see if Liza still has dozens of infant IPFs at her house to sell. :) Between that and some cute fitteds I think I'll be set for dipes. Now I just have to figure out covers... how many covers did you need for newborn and small sizes? It looks like you have quite a few. Thanks again!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

MommyAllison
08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks Marisa! I don't know if I can control myself that well, but I'll try! ;)
Mama to DD 11/05

o_mom
08-22-2007, 06:35 AM
The BSWW don't have a cord cutout. We used disposables for the first week home to get through the meconium and that initial crazy period. By that time the cord was off so I didn't worry too much about it.

I would say we could have made it with 5-6 wraps in the newborn size. The Bummis (SWW, nylon and cotton) were the ones we used most often and the Gerber were the emergency backup when we were behind on laundry. I actually bought the Gerber with DS1 because I didn't have any newborn SWW at the time and we didn't have enough others that fit well. I bought the newborn SWW for DS2.

For the small size we are getting by fine with just 5 PUL plus the wool. DS3 is only pooping once a day or less, so fewer wraps need washed right away.

DS3 is still squeezing in the infant prefolds at 3.5 months, 16 lbs and 24 inches. We really need to move him up to the regular prefolds, but that will require rearranging the whole stash since DS2 is still using the standards.

kitmama
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I CD'd both my sons from birth, and plan on continuing with the next baby (due in November). Our newborn stash is basically infant size PFs, Kissaluvs size 0, a handful of WAHM fitteds in small or infant sizes, snappis, some WAHM-made doublers, homemade fleece liners and an assortment of NB and Small size covers. I like this setup. We never needed preemie PFs, even though Littleman was a skinny peanut at 7 lbs, born at 37 weeks. Probably he could have fit in preemies for a little while but the infants were OK too- he quickly outgrew the added bulk.

- I have a mix of infant UBIPFs and diaper service Gerber infant PFs. I'm not sure how many we have total- let me know if you'd like me to count them. (I'm being lazy this instant and don't want to go upstairs, LOL). The Gerbers are slightly larger, but less absorbant.

- I have several (10? 12?) fleece-topped doublers from LizaJane Baby, sized to fit Kissaluvs size 0.

- I have a bunch of fleece liners I cut myself.

- I have a dozen or so Kissaluvs size 0, which I bought used.

- I have I think 2 WAHM fitteds- a NB and a small (don't remember what they are), and 3 more on order from Bijou Baby Gear. It's nice to have a few fitteds that are more absorbant than the Kissaluvs.

- For covers, in NB we have Proraps, Imse Vimse Bumpy covers, BSWW, and some fleece (Stacinator, I think). In Small we have all the same, plus a Calico Baby fleece cover. We have a lot of covers by now. I like all those covers for different reasons, but I guess my all-around favs are the Proraps for NB and the Bumpy in Small. I prefer not to use wool covers until after baby has started making firmer poo.

- Oh, and with Mr. Sweetcheeks, he was a better sleeper than Littleman had been- so it wasn't long before I invested in a couple nighttime fitteds. He was a bigger baby though, so I was able to get those in size medium. We use Benjamuffin Nightdreamers and Very Baby Sleeptights (think that's what they're called), with a large Aristocrat wool cover.

HTH!