PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's DC afraid of sitting on the toilet?

NatalieM
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
DD will go in her potty chair, but for some reason is PETRIFIED of sitting on the regular toilet. She attends daycare and will be moving up next week to a room where they work on PT'ing the children. However, they are not allowed to use a potty chair. They have a toilet with an insert on it. We tried an insert at home. She still screams. So I just let her go in her potty chair. I'm not going to have the daycare push the toilet issue, but I'm hoping she'll see the other children use it and see that its not a big deal. She's not afraid of the flush b/c she HAS to do it for me and DH when we go! I've put a stool under her so her feet aren't dangling but she still wont sit on it. I'm not sure what else to try to make her more comfortable with it. Anyone have any BTDT advice? Thanks :-)

o_mom
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
What insert do you have? Does it fit well? We have one cheapo insert because I thought, foolishly, that Bob the Builder might make him go on the potty. That one is sooooo wiggly that it slides all over the place and just isn't stable at all. DS1 would have nothing to do with that at all. Once we bought a Baby Bjorn seat he was much more comfortable. You dial it to fit and it does not move at all.

If your insert fits well, maybe try having her sit on the potty ring with her clothes on. You could even try having her just sit on top of the lid with clothes on while you read stories or something. Just get her comfortable with the view from up there and the feeling of nothing on the sides.

One last thing to try would be the ladder type potty seat from One Step Ahead. It has side rails and may make her feel even more secure.

NatalieM
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Good advice! DH bought her an Elmo insert and it does wiggle a bit. We have the Baby Bjorn potty chair. I'll run out and get the Bjorn insert as well. Thanks so much for the tips!!

saschalicks
08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
My DS1 was b/c of the flushing thing. He keeps repeating don't flush don't flush when on a toilet not our own. It could be the whole flushing mechanism that scares her. Ask her if that's what's scaring her? It's worth talking about.

as for the potty seat we have the first years kushy one at Target and it fits perfectly on our toilet.

I promise you it will pass...