PDA

View Full Version : Are prefolds the only/best diapering system for newborns?

jbintz
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
My DS#1 was good in FuzziBunz (of course when I started him he was in Large).

DS#2 was good in Fuzzibunz until he got to the large size. His legs are too skinny and pee gets out around the sides.

Anyway we have (becuase of DS#1) already invested in FuzziBunz Med, Lg, XLg and XXLg (which DS#1 still wears at almost 50 lbs)

So I want to start diapering my DD#3 from birth.

Problem is DS#1 was 16lbs (which puts them in mediums) at 2 mos, DS#2 was 16lbs at 3-4 mos.

Both were 9+lbs at birth but so far I have not gained nearly as much weight as before so I am afraid this baby is small.

I can do Prefolds/Covers to hold bf poop or BumGenius2.0 to fit DS#2 in the last few months before he potty trains and use on new baby.

What/When is the best thing to buy to maximize your investments. It seems covers/prefolds are the lowest investment witht he least risk and they seem to work best on newborns.

Any advice?
Jana

mudder17
09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
In your situation, would probably go with prefolds, at least initially. Unfortunately, despite this being your third child, you can't predict whether he/she will be small, large, fast grower, etc. Yes, chances are, whatever newborn diapers you use, you probably won't be using for too long. But you can't tell for sure. I would start with prefolds/snappi and see how things go when the baby arrives. They're honestly not that difficult to use and they are cheap! They will certainly work until you have the BG2.0's ready, or until you can get alternatives. Oh, and I did try BG2.0 with Mika when she was young, but although it contained her poop, it was hard always getting a good fit on her and pee would run out of her legs.

Good luck!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

candybomiller
09-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm going with a combo system of prefolds and kissaluv 0's. Hopefully that works.

KrisM
09-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Infant prefolds seem to last until about 17 lbs, in my experience. DS was 9lbs 6 oz at birth and wore infants until 4 months, when he was 17lbs. DD was 8 bls 6 oz at birth and wore infants until a year when she was 17lbs 6 oz :). I'd buy 24 of them and be good. Not much expense, really.

jbintz
09-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Kris - Ok so prefolds sound best. Do they go through 24 in a day? what scares me is that DS#2 would do what I call toot-n-poop. Which is (to me at least) self explanatory. Everytime he tooted he pooped a little ont he diaper and required a change. So maybe rice papers would fix that.

I am tempted to get some bumkins covers because I love the Dr Seuss prints but I am not sure they are great covers :(

Candy - what have you heard about kissaluvs? I had one or two that were hand me downs and DS#2 seemed to wet them in an hour or less.

Thanks for the input ladies I appreciate it!
Jana

candybomiller
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Reviews of kissaluvs have been mixed. Some people love them, some people hate them. I'm willing to change diapers more often so that the baby isn't sitting in a wet diaper. I personally place a higher priority on the diaper being fresh and dry rather than the baby being able to wear it for hours at a time - during the day at least. That might change, we'll see. ;)

KrisM
09-22-2007, 09:36 PM
No, not 24 in a day. The 24 would last 2-3 days. During waking hours, I changed about 1.5 hours, but would go 4-5 at night, if they're sleeping. I'd say up to 12 per day, but more like 10 is what I used. I actually have 36 infant sized, but also had a handful of fitteds, so I didn't need nearly all the infants. And, since they don't last super long, for most babies, I'd just wash every other day instead of every 3rd and skip the 3rd dozen.

jbintz
09-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Candy - thanks for the info. I am still undecided as to what to do about this one. I would love to change diapers more often but I know how that was with DS#2 (along with his acid reflux) and this baby will be #3 so although I do like to keep babes dry and fresh I am afraid that realistically for us that might not happen all the time so I want to find a diaper (if possible) that can go the distance. 2 hrs is good enough for me. I am not looking for something ot last longer than that. I still might consider them for quick changes but DS peed through them in 1 hr so I am not sure.

Kris - thanks I agree with you 24 is good for us. Plus I have some regular, premium, and toddler prefolds I can use if I have an emergency.

Thanks guys. I am still unsure but for now I am going with 24 prefolds, 4-6 covers and some kind of pocket, fitteds or all in one for quick changes on the go. Maybe just 4 of those. I am wondering weather it is better to just bet the prefolds and 2 covers until I get an idea of what works for this babe. That can get me through the experimental phase and order more. Hmmmm...

Jana