PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on potty learning - transition to undies

KBecks
09-24-2007, 08:48 AM
My son, who will be 3 at the end of October, has been learning the potty nearly all on his own. He will go on the potty a few times a week all by himself. Today he's gone by himself 3 times, and he went once when he didn't need to go.

He has been wearing diapers or pull ups and when I ask him if he wants underwear, he says no, he wants to wear a diaper.

We are out of diapers today. I have training pant underwear and regular underwear for him.

I think we will go to the store today and get more diapers. In fact, I already told him we would do that today. So I'll get a pack of pull ups.

But.... I'm wondering if I should at some point stop buying diapers and tell him he needs to change to the underwear.

He is doing good, but of course he is still wearing diapers! Because he likes the diapers, I'm willing to go along with that right now. But I do want him to make the switch and experience training pants or underwear.

Would you wait until he actually asks for underwear? Should I go get him the character underwear? I don't know if he will care or not. Or should I cut him off at some point in the next couple months and tell him we don't have any more diapers (which will be tough because his little brother will still have diapers.)

I'm OK with continuing to give diapers and honoring his request for them. I don't want this to be a stressful thing for him, yet I do want him to accept a change eventually.

Thanks!

HIU8
09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I am having similar issues with DS who will be 3 at the end of November. He refuses pull ups. He wants character underwear. Should I do a marathon potty training and use the underwear and not leave the house for 3 days (taking him to the potty every 30 minutes)? He still asks for his diapers to be put on, but at the same time wants the underwear. I'm curious to know what advice you all have.

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD 6/9/07

MeAndMyStar
10-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Karen, how is the potty training going? Have you used undies yet?

I found that putting my DD in underwear only (or nakie) and having her wet them (a lot!) for a couple of weeks worked fine. It is a mess and a lot of work, but after 2 months of PT we are only using diapers for naps and nighttime with hardly any accidents anymore...yay!

It makes it hard to go places sometimes in the beginning, with the accidents, but we had good luck using dipes for just sleeping from the very start of PT (didn't use them in the car...waterproof pad under the bum). We made a big deal out of her "night-nights diapers" being only for sleeping.

I tried not to make a big deal out of the accidents and matter-of-factly cleaned them up. DD caught on pretty quickly that it was easier to just go on the potty, lol!

HTH a bit and hope the PT is going well :)