PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use baby powder anymore?

zephyr
10-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I was wondering because I think's ds bottom would be a lot happier with some baby powder, and he's not at the point where he needs diaper rash cream. Thanks.

MeAndMyStar
10-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Personally, I've heard powder can be very dangerous if inhaled so I never bothered buying it. (I know...something else to worry about that probably will never happen.)

I just patted DDs bum dry with a cloth wipe (washcloth) and hardly ever had to use cream. HTH!

kitmama
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
I never bothered using it for the same reason. I do know however, that if you'd like to use it the cornstarch baby powder is safer than traditional talcum powder. These days, most baby powder is cornstarch.

zephyr
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks all, that just reminded me of Burts Bees. I think I will check out Burt's Bee's Baby Powder and see if it's made of talcum or cornstarch and go from there, because I really like Burt's Bees baby products, since they're made of a lot of natural ingredients and stuff.

val01
10-05-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.californiababy.com/calming-non-talc-powder-2-5-oz.html

I bought this recently and have been happy with it. My DD has red hair and blue eyes - her skin is super sensitive.

Valerie

MamaMolly
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I use Burt's Bees powder every diaper change and love it. At first I was using nothing, then she was a little rashy so I used cream every change, but then it seemed like it quit working because I was over using it.
A mom friend suggested using powder instead, and it has worked a charm. I make sure to just sprinkle it on her diaper, not her body, and then close the bottle very carefully. DD has taken to chewing on the bottle, so I check it compulsively.
You can also sprinkle it on your hand and then spread it on DC's bottom.
I have also tried the Grins and Giggles brand and it works but I don't like the smell.
HTH,
Molly

Puddy73
10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I used to pat a little plain corn starch on DS in the summer time. He was prone to yeast rashes and I think it helped to keep him a little drier.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

westamp
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
We actually still use the powder. It helps keep DS' butt dry and he likes it after a bath. To minimize the powder spreading all over the place (and avoid inhalation), we dump a small amount of the powder in a tiny plastic lidded container. Whenever we need to use it, we open the lid and dab a bit of the power using a cotton ball and apply it to DS. Works like a charm.

JoyNChrist
10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I use plain cornstarch when I know we're going to be outside because it's been so hot where I live...I guess it helps, because DS has never had a diaper rash (we also use Boudreaux's Butt Paste every night before bed).

billeri
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I swear by Aquafor! When dd was young, I would apply a small amount with each diaper change. We never had diaper rash, not even once. Its similar to vasaline so it adds a protective barrier between babies skin & urine.

ssjarrett
10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I think the issue is with talcum powder...I've used the cornstarch baby powder from almost the beginning with my younger child and we've had no diaper rashes. It smells just as nice as talcum powder too! (And the Target brand is great and super cheap!)
-Sarah

codex57
10-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Johnson's Baby Powder comes in a corn starch version. We have. Has aloe and some other stuff in it too.

Seems to work fine. We do the put in hand and then spread on bottom method to minimize clouds of powder. Smells just like the regular talcum powder to me.

sand82552
10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
I used cornstarch, mostly in the summer b/c of the heat and sweat. I found it really helpful.

allenhaus
10-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I second (or third?) the Burt's Bees powder. Has worked well for us. :)

ID mommy

zephyr
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will go out and purchase some Burt's Bees powder.

Zephyr