PDA

View Full Version : Help with open sore in the diaper area

mudder17
10-14-2007, 06:45 PM
DD#2 has had three blister spots on her vulva area (on the outside), two tiny ones and one large ones. The largest of the three broke open briefly then looked like it was healing over but then opened up again. It has now been open for at least a week and is about half an inch by a quarter inch. We have tried Dr. Smith's, triacinolone (prescription steroidal stuff, though not as strong as cortisone), Clotrimazole (just in case it was yeast), Jack's Magic Beanstalk magic rash and calendula lotion. Oh, and lanolin. So I'm at a loss--what else should we be trying? Breastmilk? Will that make a big difference? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

noahsmommy
10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh poor baby! Well, with last week's rash, I let Emmaline go 24 hours bare bottomed. Lanisoh, thickly put on at all times. If I put on her diaper (just for naps), I also then applied the BB on top. (not mixed together, IYKWM). She pee'd on the floor twice, peed in Noah's potty twice. Her rash cleared up after that. Also, I didn't put any onesies or any tight pants, etc..I put her in the next size up diaper. I figured that way there would be more air circulating between the diaper and her bum. Oh, and baking soda soaks, too. Have you tried letting her go bare? Or, try the this stuff: www.lantiseptic.net. LMK how it goes!

noahsmommy
10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh poor baby! Well, with last week's rash, I let Emmaline go 24 hours bare bottomed. Lanisoh, thickly put on at all times. If I put on her diaper (just for naps), I also then applied the BB on top. (not mixed together, IYKWM). She pee'd on the floor twice, peed in Noah's potty twice. Her rash cleared up after that. Also, I didn't put any onesies or any tight pants, etc..I put her in the next size up diaper. I figured that way there would be more air circulating between the diaper and her bum. Oh, and baking soda soaks, too. Have you tried letting her go bare? Or, try the this stuff: www.lantiseptic.net. LMK how it goes!

stacyann_1
10-18-2007, 11:05 AM
We have a similar issue. One open sore and some red patches on the thighs. I'm getting paranoid it is a staph infection with all the press it's been getting. I tried bactroban (prescription) didn't do anything, now trying oxystat(prescription) but have also tried triple paste. Haven't tried breastmilk yet, but I might try that tonight. Also I need to let him air it out more, will try more of that tonight.

KrisM
10-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Try Neosporin. I asked this a couple years ago about one on DS's bottom and I think it was Liza who said Neosporin. It worked in a day, but the sore was about half the size of Mika's.

I hope it clears.

eliasmom
10-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your DD's sores.

DD had an awful bout of diarrhea in the spring that caused a very painful diaper rash and open sores - she has really sensitive skin so this seems to happen about once a month (not necessarily with the diarrhea, but that obviously doesn't help.)

Letting her go bare was the best remedy I found. If it is really bad, she goes bare for pretty much the whole day (excluding naps/night sleep). I bought a huge plastic sheet for my floor. We also do warm baths with oatmeal, but I think the bare booty helps more.

I rotate the diaper creams to see what will work the best. Sometimes it is Triple Paste, sometimes Desitin Clear, and sometimes I layer A&D (or Aquaphor or something clear and somewhat soothing) with what I consider to be a better barrier cream on top (e.g., plain zinc, Triple Paste, etc.)

Oh, and I make sure that she is completely dry before putting on the cream. If I have time, we air dry. If not, she really likes the hair dryer on the cool setting.

HTH!

billeri
10-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Generally speaking, (note, I am not a Dr. or nurse) red bumps & open sores associated with diaper rash are yeast. My Pedi suggests using Lotrimin 2 - 3 x per day depending on severity. After applying the Lotrimin, I suggest mixing Aquaphor (or vaseline) with Palmer's Bottom Butter (pure cocoa butter) and putting that all over her "diaper" area. The Palmers will soothe the stinging and the Aquaphor will provide a protective barrier against moisture.

The lotrimin should put your baby on the fast track to healing while the other two will provide some relief. If dc is in alot of discomfort, I would suggest Tylenol infant drops to help with pain management.

Huge hugs...